Torso Sizing Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

NAGA

Jr Member
Hey guys. This is the first thread I've started. I had actually wanted to wait until my armor was finished before throwing out pictures of it, but I'm at a bit of a crossroad here. I've already pep'd everything except for the chest and helmet - all Hi-Def pieces. All have received at least one coat of resin, and most have been fiberglassed. Effectively, I've saved the most crucial pieces for last. That being said, I constructed a torso size tester piece and just threw on some of the parts I have.

DISCLAIMER:

- The pieces are not padded and are not in their final positions; many adjustments to that sort of thing will happen in the future before I'm done. This is nowhere near final.

ADDITIONAL:

- I'm a little over 6'1", roughly 33" waist. I sized the torso piece to have a height of 43cm, which is approximately from my elbows to my ears vertically.

THE PICTURES:

(please don't mind the shorts and t-shirt...)

3972330478_263bc63cbb.jpg

3971586057_984f5cce0a.jpg

(More direct frontal shot)

THE QUESTION:

- How does it look?

My wife has said that she thinks the chest/torso is good, but the codpiece might be a little small, based on the gap between the two in my midsection.

My brothers have said they think the codpiece looks good but the chest/torso might be a little small.

I, on the other hand, simply am not sure. I keep looking at reference pictures to try and determine whether or not it looks right. The real MC looks to have a smaller torso than me in general. There are also a ton of variables that come into play with a lo-def sizer: It's not as wide as the hi-def, it's more ambiguous, and it doesn't sit as well. Then there's the under-armor I have, the straps of which make my midsection look bulkier than it really is (it can be tightened a bit, which fixes that to an extent). And finally, I think the piece may have slid a little backward for the picture ever so slightly.

So. I now tap the collective brain of the great 405th, which has been instrumental in getting me to this point. Please tell me what you think. If there are any of you guys of similar body height who have already successfully built this (and I know there are), please post your pictures, sizing data, and all that jazz. I really want to make sure I'm getting this right before I move on to building the 40+ page hi-definition torso model. I am completely open to constructive criticism and advice (and compliments...).

Thanks in advance, everyone.

i think the chest looks a little small. the cod piece looks fine. but this is what size testers are for hehe.

I agree, the chest looks a bit small. the top of it does not even really reach your ears, Id suggest you knock it up a few id say possibly 45-46ish.

I'm starting to agree. Do you think I could just bump it up to 45-46 and go straight to the high definition model? Am I that close, or should I really just make another tester? I'm leaning toward another tester.

I think it looks about right. You could probably only gain about 1cm of width before you hit the shoulder pads on the pressure suit. Mobility would be my main concern right now. The cod is probably slightly too small but it actually looks good with your build. Umm, well you know what I mean.

bigger chest and you should be alright.

Remember your sizing it for you, not for chief, so if you don't have a perfectly scalable body compared to his imaginary body then it's always going to look a bit off (by this I mean if your broader shouldered, slimmer shouldered, broader hips, etc, besides just "shorter" or "thinner" or "fatter" then MC is, humans have a lot of scale factors that really aren't covered by scaling process)

So basically just get it lookin good on you - 90% of the people that see it won't care one way or the other, just as long as it looks nice, that other 10% that'll see it are either proppers themselves or extreme enthusiasts, plus, if you carry around a rifle for photo's chances are your mid section is going to be covered anyway.

Personally Iam shorter then chief (who isn't? Lol) broader shouldered and heavier then him by quite a bit. so perfect scaling won't happen - I gotta test nearly every part, even parts like both bicepts.

Thanks for all the opinions so far, guys. I'm leaning toward bumping up the height by 2cm (which would likely increase the width approximately 1.5cm). Again, my big concern with the width is that the HD model is actually wider at the chest than the tester. I don't want to end up building a tester that looks right but an HD model that looks like crap; that HD chest piece is definitely not something you want to build more than once. Basically, I'm concerned that I'll build a piece is too wide and limits my mobility and looks inaccurate.

Again, I really want to hear any more opinions/advice you guys or anyone else may have.

So I went ahead and increased the height of the piece by 2cm. That makes the overall height 45cm (or 450mm for the metrically challenged).

I went ahead and put it on and took a few pictures. I think the height looks a little better, but the width really worries me. As I said before, the width of the HD piece is greater than that of the size tester.

3978552287_345ff213f1.jpg

3979315070_ae67314eac.jpg

Size Tester Dimensions:

Height - 450mm

Width - 405mm

Depth - 407mm

FS's HD Torso Piece Dimensions:

Height - 450mm

Width - 420

Depth - 430mm

I do like the height, but with the increased width and depth, I'm concerned that from the front it will look to bulky, limit mobility, and maybe look bad up at the shoulders. What do you guys think?

[Again, if there's anyone out there that has actually made this piece and happens to be my height (6'1"-6'2"), please chime in.]

I'm at that stage where I need to make a decision, and every little bit of advice this community can provide me is extremely valuable. What do you guys think?

Huge thanks in advance.

How's the mobility of your arms? Does the top of the shoulder hit your torso piece when you raise your arm? I was also having problems sizing the torso because of the difference between the tester and hd piece. FWIW, I'm 5'6" and I sized my torso for a 5'9" body and I still had to trim parts to get it to fit. I say if your range of motion is good and the piece fits, it's all good.

top_shape said:
How's the mobility of your arms? Does the top of the shoulder hit your torso piece when you raise your arm? I was also having problems sizing the torso because of the difference between the tester and hd piece. FWIW, I'm 5'6" and I sized my torso for a 5'9" body and I still had to trim parts to get it to fit. I say if your range of motion is good and the piece fits, it's all good.

It's hard to say. It only hits when I raise it a lot. But at the same time, the placement of the arm pieces aren't final. The mobility issue I was thinking of was in simple forward arm rotation. If the chest extends outward over my bicep pieces, that could cause problems with the simplest movement (i.e. moving arms while walking/running). That's more of what I'm concerned about. Not only that, but it would look a bit weird and the chaffing would get really annoying really fast. With the tester piece, it's really hard to tell because the dimensions aren't accurate, and mobility will only get worse going from tester to HD. Hopefully, I'll be able get it right and not have to worry about major trimming or other similar adjustments. Thanks for the advice, man.

Macattack64 said:
I would say go with half way between your first one and this last one.

I'm really liking that idea. I did some looking at the numbers, and compared to the 45cm tester model (blue one pictured above), the 44cm HD model would be shorter by 1cm, wider by 0.6cm, and deeper by 1.3cm. Unless the depth and width values are swapped from what one would normally assume they represent, the width difference should be negligible - we're talking 3mm in either direction. I think that's the best way to get close to the overall dimensions of the 45cm tester (which I generally like) without risking the HD model turning into some disproportionate monster that looks weird on my chest.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with your suggestion, take the middle, and make a 44cm high HD torso. Thank you for the suggestion.

(Btw, the armor in your avatar is looking great.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I do believe that your armor kicks some serious butt!

Really, as you said above the 44cm high torso should work out. The size of it

should end up being the happy medium lol.

The fold's and overall build of this is incredible! You are doing and amazing

job, please, keep at it!!

Spartan-343 said:
I do believe that your armor kicks some serious butt!

Really, as you said above the 44cm high torso should work out. The size of it

should end up being the happy medium lol.

The fold's and overall build of this is incredible! You are doing and amazing

job, please, keep at it!!

Thanks!! That just made my day.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't want to turn this into an armor update thread, but I did want to post this:

4014680549_f0b25fb9c3.jpg

4015444062_03755e6c24.jpg

It took me a little over a week to get it done, working on-and-off. I went ahead and made the piece with a height of 44cm, and it looks like it will fit well (I "tried it on" as it was coming together, and it looked good). Thanks, everyone, for the critique and suggestions.

Like I said, I'm not going to turn this into my own personal armor progress thread. I just wanted to post this and say thanks. I'll make a new thread again when everything is finished in a few months.

And of course... I'm still open to criticism and suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back