Trading Mil Spec Ballistic Kevlar & Carbon fiber for use of your mold

Status
Not open for further replies.

btac

Hey Everyone,
Im new to the forum here, I've been wanting to build a set of spartan armor for a while now, but it looks like I still have too many other work related projects going on to spend the time to make a proof, a mold, and then do all the composite layup.

I do however, have a ton of mil spec ballistic grade kevlar, aerospace grade carbon fiber, kevlar-carbon hybrid fabric, colored & metallic fiberglass, stainless steel, aluminum, and all kinds of other goodies.

I'd be interested in finding someone who already has a nicely molded suit of armor, preferably something like master chief, and trading raw materials for either the use of your mold, or you molding the armor entirely yourself.

I'm not expecting the armor to meet any ballistic certifications, just very 'heavy duty' and capable of withstanding a beating, unlike a fiberglass or cardboard suit. I'm also not concerned with how heavy it is, I'm estimating about 20lbs total weight for the hard plates, and will likely be adding more weight to that.

It doesn't need to be painted, or have any fancy lights or anything of that nature. I'd supply the carbon, kevlar, epoxy resin, & fill material.

I'd even be happy with just a helmet for starters. I'm about 6'2" 175lbs athletic build

If you're interested let me know & maybe send a link to the thread showing your armor and then we can figure out the details from there.

Working with kevlar and carbon fiber is a lot like working with fiberglass, you just need a new pair of really sharp scissors.

If things go well, this could also lead to an intern or part time position doing prototyping if interested.

You have to be un-noobified before you can post stuff like this. Then the marketplace becomes available. It seems like a pretty cool idea though if someone has the right tools.

There is a problem with what you want. Nobody molds a full suit of armor. Main reason being, everything is custom made to the builder and nobody else. So even if anyone did want to do this if most likely would not fit you.

This forum is dedicated to helping people build their own armor not sell it off to people. This is why we dont allow newer members into the Classified section. If you want to learn how to build your own, read though all the information here and ask questions as needed. Its possible to make strong armor with out molding it. Mudglass is just as strong if not stronger and adding in layers of just plain fiberglass helps too.

I believe there may be only two people here with access to a set of molds for spartan armor. Those two would be Thorssoli and Adam. They make great suits but unfortunately they are s good they may get a bit expensive... But as someone else has already put when u reach 100 posts you could post n the classifieds for a trade or what not.(Dont be going and posting madly because people will not look nicely upon it)

And Arizona, I think Thorssoli made a range of sizes for his Halloween group this year.

Good Luck.

I believe there may be only two people here with access to a set of molds for spartan armor. Those two would be Thorssoli and Adam. They make great suits but unfortunately they are s good they may get a bit expensive... But as someone else has already put when u reach 100 posts you could post n the classifieds for a trade or what not.(Dont be going and posting madly because people will not look nicely upon it)

And Arizona, I think Thorssoli made a range of sizes for his Halloween group this year.

Good Luck.

Ok awesome, thanks for the info. I knew I saw someone who molded the full suit back a while ago. I'm not expecting it to be cheap, and I do have quite a bit of material that bulk wholesales for $70-80 a lb to trade. I also have a fully stocked machine & welding shop and could add in a few custom pieces for trade. I'm only short on time.

Arizona, I think we have different definitions of strong. While fiberglass and polyester resin are ok for some things, compared to carbon-kevlar cloth with a proper epoxy resin, its like comparing a paper towel tube to a steel pipe. Composites are their strongest when you only use as much resin as is needed to wet the fabric, excess resin exponentially weakens the finished piece.

Fiberglass can shatter, the polyester resin isnt particularly strong either, very little rigidity. Carbon fiber takes a tremendous impact to shatter, though it will still shatter, though you probably wont short of setting a bomb off on top of it. When you use a blended hybrid fabric that incorporates kevlar, you mix the super high rigidity of carbon fiber, with the elasticity of kevlar making it virtually impossible to destroy by blunt impact. Any impact that is powerful enough to damage it, is reduced to a very localized area, punching a hole, or causing a dimple, rather than letting stress fractures radiate outward, keeping a piece otherwise structurally sound even with massive damage.

I dont want to have to worry about damaging the thing, being able to run through the woods, jumping against trees, and diving for cover would be ideal, it would be nice to be able to do a fan film sometime in the near future.

I guess I'll get posting, does posting in the non-halo related build projects count towards the 100? If so I have years of projects I could post.

Also like I mentioned previously, if a skilled builder is interested in the trade, and can show they can do quality work, a part time job or intern position may be available for prototyping things of this nature, though not exactly "halo" stuff.

although not meant for this site, im rather keen asto where you bought the materials from, and id love to see the finished product, or have a go at one myself

Trading/ selling/ buying is allowed only in the Classified section, which is only accessible once you reach Infantryman status.

The post count is always changing, I don't even know what it is. Just make relevant posts and don't go spamming posts and you'll get there soon enough. If you post your previous works it's entirely possible to get your status bumped up if it catches our eye.

Closing this thread, but please feel free to post your work in a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back