US military rail gun kills anything 1 shot

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need a railgun even though not mobile, because we can build one. I cant wait until these are portable and used in the military, terrorist in the future will be wetting their pants as they see their comrads burnt to a crisp at 5,000 mph.

Cool, the gauss cannon is a rail gun, and that sniper-esque weapon that Johnson used in 'Contact:Harvest' is a rail gun.......... I want one.

these have been in testing and development for quite some time but there so cool

there only downfall is because of how much current they expell it over heats the barrels quick as hell

there actually really interesting, if you think about it the same type of thing is used on the maglev train system ^^

you actually can build them in your home using disposable cameras lol
if i memberd right it uses about 5 110 or 550v capacitors just linked together but it just uses a safety button and the discharge button
and a few other stuff of course but with how it gets wired it just discharges all the voltage at once..

in lamens terms the opposite of a really strong electromagnetic reaction in a way >:D with a big bang

just search instructables, i almost built one but my rents threw away all the cameras

thinking about it actually

would be kinda cool to mount one on a gas powerd gauss hog and have it fire remotely lol

mooseguy04 said:
...the gauss cannon is a rail gun...

23Magnum said:
For everyone interested, this was taken from Wikipedia here.

A railgun is a form of gun that converts electrical energy (rather than the more conventional chemical energy from an explosive propellant) into projectile kinetic energy. It is not to be confused with a coilgun (Gauss gun). Rail guns use magnetic force to drive a projectile. Unlike gas pressure guns, rail guns are not limited by the speed of sound in a compressed gas, so they are capable of accelerating projectiles to extremely high speeds.

Just wanted you to know as "Knowing is Half the Battle". :D

-Magnum

Last edited by a moderator:
A coil/gauss gun is completely different from a railgun. Yes, they both use electricity to fire projectiles, but that's about it. A coilgun uses several coils of wire wrapped around a barrel. Electricity is transferred from the batteries to the capacitors, "charging" them up. A microcontroller then controls the capacitors' discharge and pulses the electricity through the coils, creating an electromagnetic force that pulls the projectile through the barrel and up to speed. The microcontroller is critical; as one coil "fires" it must turn off at just the right time as the next coil comes on. If it's too late, then the first coil might pull the bullet back as the second tries to pull it forward; if it's too soon then the bullet might not go far enough for the second coil to be able to grab it. Though it is far more complex than a railgun, it's still far easier to build a working one (and it'll last more than 1 or 2 shots).

Sorry, but it's an important distinction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back