used scotch tape so am i screwed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get a 1 inch paint brush and a bottle of wood glue. Pour the wood glue into a bowl and add a few drops of water to thin it out a little. Paint small sections of the outside of the helmet and let dry. Wood glue will fix your issue because 1) It has no solvents to disolve the tape. 2) once dry it is waterproof so you can bondo right over it and resin and fiberglass the inside of the helmet.

you could always try to do a batch of rondo and put in allllooootttttt of catalyst to make it harden super fast before the tape is eaten away by the resin.

Have you tried this? Dissolving the tape itself (if it happens at all) takes a bit of time, but taking away its adhesive properties happens really fast. I was spraying around some spray paint just the other day (also resin-based, not the acrylic stuff) and hit some duck tape nearby. The painted part of the tape survived just perfectly, but it came off before I was even finished painting.

^^Agreed^^, but I like this better!
3592816d-56c9-41b3-8d2f-33e526881bcc.jpg

Ha, that one goes directly into my archive :-D

Attachments

• 3592816d-56c9-41b3-8d2f-33e526881bcc.jpg
    3592816d-56c9-41b3-8d2f-33e526881bcc.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 88
not sure if it will work for you, but it's saved my butt once or twice. Just like vv_7 said but instead i used mod podge to fix my oopsies.

I agree with Vash0101 completely. You can still save your work if you use Mod Podge Hard Coat to seal your pep work, tape and all. When it cures, you can resin and bondo as you would a correctly done pep model. Hope this helps and good luck!:)

hmmm i like the wood glue idea, alot easier then having to melt down glue and possibly get burned, ill do some research on the mod podge idea also

EDIT: some im going to try to go to michaels today and try to find the hard coat mod podge and invest in a hot glue gun. im getting sick of peeling off dried superglue off my finger tips lol

Ok so I bought mod podge hard coat and a hot glue gun. So do I do what vv_7 said by adding some water to it? And also do I paint it on the inside and outside of my helmet?

For the Mod Podge, all you have to do is brush it on the inside with maybe two to three layers. But, you should wait for the previous layer to be almost dry before brushing on the next layer. The instructions are pretty straight forward.

For the Mod Podge, all you have to do is brush it on the inside with maybe two to three layers. But, you should wait for the previous layer to be almost dry before brushing on the next layer. The instructions are pretty straight forward.

Ok I'll start it tomarrow on my gauntlet first. But I have tape on the inside and out so still only do the inside?

Oh yeah, I forgot that you taped the models on both sides! Definitely do both sides but one side first since you don't want to soak up the paper with mod podge. Maybe do a thin layer at first just to avoid warping the paper.

Oh yeah, I forgot that you taped the models on both sides! Definitely do both sides but one side first since you don't want to soak up the paper with mod podge. Maybe do a thin layer at first just to avoid warping the paper.

Ok thank you! I just wanted to be clear on what I have to do so I don't have more to fix lol

So I did the mod podge today on a gauntlet and I think I did it too thick cause it cane out warped and not as sturdy as it was. So all my taped peps are now display pieces and in starting all over :/

Sorry to hear about the warped piece of your project. This sort of hobby is a learning experience in itself. I'm sure your next pep models will be much better than your previous one.

Ah bugger. All is not lost in this game though as any mistakes you make are part of the learning process.

Onwards and upwards! Or, "Stop being sad and be awesome instead" :D

I think these are all good ideas but truly your best bet is to start over. In this art form, building a piece two or five times is part of the process. I would suggest going to walmart and getting the 110lb cardstock, a hot glue gun or elmer's (some guys swear by this stuff, I don't) and give it a go that way. I promise you'll have less troubles and since most of us do it that way, trouble-shooting is a piece of cake. Feel free to pm me if your not sure on something and I'll be able to go into greater depth.

good luck

Thank you everyone for your advice and ideas. I invested in a high/low heat glue gun and just printed off a second iron man helmet and will start it today

mabey

my friend had some problam, he solved it by super glueing every edge together and then cutting the tape off using an exacto knife or scapel :), this is just a rough guess of mine but would spraying clear waterproof car spray on it then resining in it save you? :D, well good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back