1st Build Vaccum forming ODST Visor help

mikehuntree

Hey folks,

Im currently working on my first ODST helmet and am almost done but have hit a snag with the visor. I want to try vacuum forming I already built a little home set up and tried it with some more easily formed plastics but now its time for the real deal.

What Plastic/material is recommended? I keep seeing PETG referenced but seems fairly pricey
What thickness do you recommended? I have seen .06" as the recommended thickness on a few threads
Lastly good places to get material from? Ive seen some people recommended local shops and thats not much of an option for me so any shops that ship US affordably would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I use .06 PETG. Smaller sheets online aren't always the cheapest, so look into larger that can be cut. I found a local plastics supplier and bought a 4'x8' sheet for $80 and just cut it down. I know people who have used thinner, but haven't tried myself.

I use 0.03" PETG. I find it on ebay, but it's not there consistently (at least not in canada). Another great place to get it if you don't have a nearby plastic supplier is mcmaster.com

0.03" is quite thin, but I use this to my advantage. If you use a thicker plastic and heat it too quickly it can bubble. With the thin stuff, you can heat it quite quickly without problems. Because I'm so inconsistent with my heating, it's quite nice to not have to worry about bubbles.

Last edited:
I was able to use Amazon to order PETG 12" x 12" x .03" sheets. The order at the time of 2019 came out to be $30 USD. Unfortunately the specific link I had purchased from is unavailable, but more out there for sure. "PETG Thermoform Plastic Sheets 1/32" x 12" x 12" Sheets - 12 Piece Bundle".

I had tested with a home made vac setup for an ODST visor over a 3d printed buck and these sheets worked out great.

Hey folks,

Im currently working on my first ODST helmet and am almost done but have hit a snag with the visor. I want to try vacuum forming I already built a little home set up and tried it with some more easily formed plastics but now its time for the real deal.

What Plastic/material is recommended? I keep seeing PETG referenced but seems fairly pricey
What thickness do you recommended? I have seen .06" as the recommended thickness on a few threads
Lastly good places to get material from? Ive seen some people recommended local shops and thats not much of an option for me so any shops that ship US affordably would be appreciated.

Thanks!
I sympathize with you. ODST visors are difficult to make. I finally found Eco Form Plastics Inc. However, I am located in Winnipeg, MB (Canada) They exceeded my expectations in a price range that would shock most members. Prices asked by fellow members are nonetheless extravagant. Here is a photo of the finished product and it is nothing short of great. Suggest you find a local shop and speak with the owners in person. I have to wait for warmer climes to paint, tint and finish the armour. I suggest you allow them to work. Good luck.

Attachments

• DSC00134.JPG
    DSC00134.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 29
  • DSC00135.JPG
    DSC00135.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 28
I use 0.03" PETG. I find it on ebay, but it's not there consistently (at least not in canada). Another great place to get it if you don't have a nearby plastic supplier is mcmaster.com

0.03" is quite thin, but I use this to my advantage. If you use a thicker plastic and heat it too quickly it can bubble. With the thin stuff, you can heat it quite quickly without problems. Because I'm so inconsistent with my heating, it's quite nice to not have to worry about bubbles.
mcmaster.com seems to be a perfect fit ! Thanks for this Ill probably split the difference and go for 0.04" since they offer it. And turns out Im fairly local to one of there locations no idea why none of my searches turned them up

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back