Warhammer 40K Space Marine

Status
Not open for further replies.
link4044 said:
if you need help moulding it let me know

Will do, I'm sanding it down right now and tomorrow I hope to put the last little bit of Bondo I have on it to fill some of the bumps. Then off to sand it some more.

What do you think, should I put the vents in it and finish out the head lamp or should I leave it as is and allow others to put the final details on it like a KIT?

It's already going to need some finishing work on it as far as the eyes and the ears pieces so I am leaning towards the KIT idea.

Also, I got my catalog from Reynolds Advanced Materials yesterday and I wonder what all the information means. What kind of materials do you use and what kind of methods do you follow?

I'll probably need some help molding this since it's my first attempt and I'm of course afraid to ruin the piece or waste too much molding materials. You know that Noobish beginner stuff I'd like to avoid!

Jerry (chwbcc)

Last edited by a moderator:
i would add the vents and finsh the light. when you get to the point that you think that your done send me a pm

That looks great Chwbcc. I'd say do the vents, the light looks fine. I always figure that SM's don't have the needs for lights anywhere anyway. Their bodies & suits are enhanced in every way already.

Now I'll have to decide on a helmet myself I guess. Sigh.

And so the slow arduous process of bondo begins... I have decide that I am going to take my good old sweet time with this helm. I am strategically working my from top to bottom with the bondo and applying it in stages. I also have reduced the amount I am applying two about a golf ball size. With my previous MC helm I though that I could just cover the piece and sand down the areas as needed. Ugh yeah! That was a time consuming mess. I still have a layer of dust covering everything in my garage!

So this time small segments, sand smooth, and feather the edges. So far the results are coming along great. I do have a question are any of you using electric sanders for this process? And if so what? I would like to speed this up a little bit but not to the point where I lose control and flexibility that may sacrifice detail or the integrity of the piece.

Check out the progress below:

IMG_1182_500px.jpg

IMG_1183_500px.jpg

i do use a orbit sander first but after that you need to hand sand it more due to the flat areas the sander will leave

That looks awsome, the only thing i can think of is that it would hard to move in since all the body parts are HUGE, apart from that it looks awsome

Looking great so far. A lot of people use the Black and Decker Mouse (I think that's what it's called). I use a knock-off that I got in a wireless power tools set for $20. I also find the foam sanding blocks useful. They help with all the curved parts.

Con-Man said:
That looks awsome, the only thing i can think of is that it would hard to move in since all the body parts are HUGE, apart from that it looks awsome

hehehe these are going to be pretty massive, but I have a plan!

I am going to build an internal head gear system similar to that used in Theme park characters. The version I plan to use is dense foam blocks lining the interior cover them with Velcro with then place a form fitted helmet and chin strap inside. The helm will have Velcro on it so the Helmet can be adjusted depending on the wearer.

The Chest is going to be mounted on a back packer's harness/frame

The Upper arms are going to be padded and buckled to the Chest.

The Fore arms are going to just slide on the wrist

Hockey Gloves for the hands

A Pant/shorts set up with the Cod piece and upper legs taht will buckle to the bottom legs.

And of course a pair of bottom Velcro shoes placed in a pair of shoe shells to complete the outfit.

Once you have the chest and upper legs secured properly everything else is cake!

Parts that really restrict movement are the upper legs, and the torso. Because if you really can't move your arms who cares because you still look awesome. But if you can't walk or bend down for photos the you might as well be a refrigerator box!

I'll try to draw up some internal detail for everyone.

chwbcc said:
Hockey Gloves for the hands

You might be better off looking into lacrosse gloves. They're slight smaller in certain areas and are closer to real glove proportions, just bigger.

Lacrosse? Isn't that the sport you play when you can't skate? :)

I know of a couple of places that sell used Lacrosse gear. Let me pep one of my arms and try it on with my hockey stuff. It would be nice to recycle some of the old gear I have laying around the garage. If not I'll drag the piece down to play-it-again sports and do a test fit there. Maybe I'll do that anyway to take some comparison pics.

Forearm pepping here I come!

I know I know someone smack the Wookie for double posting but I have one arm Pep'd and I'm fitting it with my hockey gloves and they are pretty close in size. But what do you guys think?

I don't run I roll, so what size are Lacrosse glove in comparison?

I have found this site for Lacrosse stuff: http://www.lacrossemonkey.com/stx-lgrivald.html And I might pick ups a cheap pair, 'cause you can't have too many cool looking gloves to play with and reference...

Also I usually get my hockey gear from Hockeymonkey.com and the customer service is great.

Here are some photos tell me what you think:

IMG_1187_500px.jpg

IMG_1190_500px.jpg

Ok to avoid complete Ban-ation, I won't triple post! So here are some updates on the helm I have been working on today. I can see the flaws, and little divots here and there but with a nice coat of primer on it, it looks really awesome!!!

I can't stop looking at it! It is really coming along extremely nice! Check it out:

IMG_1196_500px.jpg

IMG_1198_500px.jpg

IMG_1200_500px.jpg

IMG_1202_500px.jpg

IMG_1203_500px.jpg

The flaws will just make it easier for battle damage. Looks fine to me. What are you doing with the eye lenses? I've got some red window tint I'll be using, unfortunately I'll see red too. Nobody has Red Chrome or Iridium anywhere, so it's my only choice. You guys might have more options.

Are your arms all joined or is that just for the pics?

Judge said:
The flaws will just make it easier for battle damage. Looks fine to me. What are you doing with the eye lenses? I've got some red window tint I'll be using, unfortunately I'll see red too. Nobody has Red Chrome or Iridium anywhere, so it's my only choice. You guys might have more options.

Are your arms all joined or is that just for the pics?

I know I know, but I want this one to be perfect!

I was thinking about getting some wrap-around sunglasses or even a couple pair of cheap ski goggle lenses:

http://www.skis.com/replacement-len...ame-goggle-replacement-lens-2010-p165387.html

I should be able to trim them and fit them in nicely. What do you think?

As for the arms they are still separated. I don't plan on attaching them permanently. I am going to attach them to the top (and possibly bottom)via elastic strapping and velco so the can be adjustable yet move while I move.

link4044 said:
keep on working on that helmet

"Yes, master..." "...and the name is Eye gor" :lol

I'm on hold until at least tomorrow, I tried to go to wally world this morning to get some supplies and hell broke loose in there and I had to get out of there before I killed someone!

Status Update,

O.k. I have been working on the helm like crazy this week. And I think I have it nearly finished. I've primed it, sanded it, spot puttied it, sanded some more, primed again and painted it Ultramarine Blue.

I don't think I will keep it this color but I think it looks really cool in any case. I am going to let the paint dry and look at it tomorrow with some fresh eyes.

I know I asked for some opinions on the light and the eyes, I think I want to pull some pieces with these areas as they are and allow others to do the final work. I am still now sure how I am going to finish the light and the eyes and I think if I have several pieces pulled I can experiment with it more freely.

I have also started Samuray's Chest no_aquila and I was hoping to have more to show this weekend but it's not as easy as I though it would be to assemble. The back is a mess, I forgot to turn on the numbering, and I really need to re-layout the piece for smoothness... BUt if anyone has been reading my post you probably know that I am too lazy to start again! :) SO I will muscle through this with Glass and bondo... so buy stock in Bondo everyone I doing this the hard way!!!

And now for the pics, 'cause it did happen:

IMG_1209_500px.jpg

IMG_1210_500px.jpg

IMG_1211_500px.jpg

IMG_1212_500px.jpg

IMG_1213_500px.jpg

Neoproks said:
That looks fantastic! What color do the lenses need to be?

Black, Gold or Red. There really isn't much limiting the color, but the imagination.

chwbcc said:
Black, Gold or Red. There really isn't much limiting the color, but the imagination.

I've seen some sunglasses with orangish/red lenses at walmart for really cheap, you should check that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back