What sparked your interest in this hobby? I've got to know!

I used to have so many gaming nights with Halo (Reach in particular) where we'd stay up until 5 in the morning just playing multiplayer or Forge. Now I couldn't even stay up to 1:00 since I'd fall asleep well before then. :lol:

Sorry that the move damaged your parts, that's definitely pretty unfortunate. But I definitely look forward to seeing your armor whenever you get to it. ;)

I feel that one. But I also work nights randomly now. So I have random times I almost force myself to do the long nights.

I started working with another 405th member in my town getting some 3d printed armor done. So we should be able to get something nice hopefully started soon. XD
Our schedules just need to match up.

Incredibly simplified but I was addicted to Project Runway as a kid so like ten years ago my mom and grandma got me a sewing machine for Christmas. I would make my own clothes and stuff but once I hit middle school until like halfway through high school, I stopped making garments and would really only sew small projects, anything that needed repairs and my Halloween costumes. Once quarantine hit, I got insanely bored and went back to sewing a ton and also watching a ton of tv which turned into "heyyyyyy that character has an awesome outfit, I could totally make that". Eventually I started going to cons with my friends and just kept making my own costumes and now I've been cosplaying for a little over two years .
As for the Halo side of things, I didn't know what to make next and my friend said "so there's this game called Halo that has sick designs" and now I'm printing an armor set and watching Halo playthroughs on youtube lol. Also I met a few more people from the 405th at a convention when one of them stole the Grogu plush I had for my Mando costume. Twice.
That's awesome that you got started with sewing at such a young age. I still have no idea how to sew, but I know people that do so that's what I usually roll with. :lol:

Also, I never really thought about watching playthroughs of the Halo games, since I always just play them myself. Do you have any recommendations on channels to watch?

After seeing your work on Instagram, I can't wait to see your armor! I'm sure it'll be kick butt! :cool:

That's awesome that you got started with sewing at such a young age. I still have no idea how to sew, but I know people that do so that's what I usually roll with. :lol:

Also, I never really thought about watching playthroughs of the Halo games, since I always just play them myself. Do you have any recommendations on channels to watch?

After seeing your work on Instagram, I can't wait to see your armor! I'm sure it'll be kick butt! :cool:
Hey man thanks! I'm really excited to keep working on it!
This is the channel that I've been watching while working! https://www.youtube.com/@LoopyLongplays

Back in 2009 I learned about he 501st legion and what they do, but since im not a SW fan and I loved Halo so I started researching and learned about Pepakura.
I found the needed files and started working on my first armor (Master chief) it was a low def version but I was proud. it served me well for a few years before being destroyed playing airsoft in 2013. I stopped cosplaying for years due to work but now since I have time and a home life I decided to try 3D printing and go high def. on the props and armors.

I got into cosplaying mainly through starwars when I was little, became a member of the 501st in 2022 and saw a 405th booth at Washington state Summer con in 2023, found the forums, the discord and now im here.

Ive loved Halo for a while, and I loved how open, welcoming and friendly the 405th is, I also love the fact that you dont need to have a screen accurate, perfect costume for tier 1 deployment, as well as the fact that this forum has SO many different tutorials and resources!
Seems like quite a few people come here from the 501st, which is super cool. I don't personally know anyone from the 501st, but I remember hearing the requirements for deployment with them and thought that it seemed a little stressful, but with Star Wars being a huge property, I get that they want it to be as accurate as possible when attending events, whereas Halo can have some room to wiggle since it isn't as widely known.

I'm looking forward to seeing your ODST when it's finished. :)

Seems like quite a few people come here from the 501st, which is super cool. I don't personally know anyone from the 501st, but I remember hearing the requirements for deployment with them and thought that it seemed a little stressful, but with Star Wars being a huge property, I get that they want it to be as accurate as possible when attending events, whereas Halo can have some room to wiggle since it isn't as widely known.

I'm looking forward to seeing your ODST when it's finished. :)
The 501st is also requested by Disney/Lucas Film a lot (In the last episode, season 1 of The Mandalorian, there's a bunch of storm troopers that were 501st members) while the 405th is more seen at like, community events and what not?

Regardless, both communities make their own costumes and have fun! Ill be sure to post my progress on my ODST as well, dont worry

I think the biggest reason would be Halloween and by extension my great aunt. Ever since I can remember I've always loved Halloween because my family would all get together at Aunt Karen's house and I'd get to show her whatever costume I had made. She was always so proud to see them because I put effort into it instead of having mom pay for it. Halloween was her holiday and she owned it 100%. That always inspired me to make costumes and master my craft. Obviously, I grew up with Halo, so when I found out about cosplay and conventions and whatnot it seemed like the only logical conclusion. Now every day can be Halloween and I can keep her spirit and love of the holiday with me all the time.
I only made my Halloween costume once (Creeper from Minecraft) when I was about 12 or so. Everyone loved it, but it was quite a bit of work. I don't have any relatives that were all in on Halloween, but a friend of mine's parents would go crazy with it every year and was an absolute blast.

That's super cool that your great aunt was that supportive with your costume making! Mine probably couldn't have cared less, but my parents thought it was cool... at least that's what they told me.

Pretty simple for me honestly, around 2020 I got back into Halo, started reading the books and kind of just thought, "Hey, why not make a Spartan suit?" Kinda was cut and dry after that, and I originally started a Mark V (B) then pivoted to Mark VII, then Rakshasa and here I am now lol!
That's a good point. Why not make a Spartan suit? :lol:

I need to read the books again, since it has been years. Just don't have as much time as I used to. Mark VII is definitely on my list to do, since I'd like to make my Spartan's armor from Infinite. Your armor looks like it came out pretty dang awesome!

Back in 2009 I learned about he 501st legion and what they do, but since im not a SW fan and I loved Halo so I started researching and learned about Pepakura.
I found the needed files and started working on my first armor (Master chief) it was a low def version but I was proud. it served me well for a few years before being destroyed playing airsoft in 2013. I stopped cosplaying for years due to work but now since I have time and a home life I decided to try 3D printing and go high def. on the props and armors.
I always thought that people wearing halo armor for airsoft were awesome. I remember wanting to do it, but just stuck with baggy military clothes (to dampen the sting of the bbs). That and I had no clue how to make armor.

3D printing has definitely helped push a lot of people into making armor, especially since you can let it run while you're at work (that's literally what I'm doing right now). I look forward to seeing your armor finished. :cool:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back