What sparked your interest in this hobby? I've got to know!

It's a good escape for me I see some horrible things from my job I find it easier to process the bad events when I m crafting something. Comic cons are a big help too I forget alot of the bad stuff I'm able to relax and enjoy spending time with friends and family
I feel that dawg. I'm right there with you. Doin all this stuff is a great and productive distraction from so many things. Totally pays off with the sense of satisfaction and pride whenever you finish one of your projects.

Back in 2019 New years I went down to Texas for a new years party with cousins, they had a Xbox there with MCC loaded in, I asked and they said I could use it, I remember playing CE anniversary for the first time there, Pillar of Autumn and a part of Halo, I spent the new year clock turn to 2020 on Halo, from that point on I was invested with the story and of course the Spartans. A few months later I bought my first ever console an Xbox Series S, and It has served me faithfully ever sense, after a bit I got MCC myself and played Reach for the first time, its been my fav ever since. Finally I heard about all this and decided I wanted in, and the rest is history...

I've always enjoyed building things and wanted to dabble more in a hobby that would let me explore and gain more experience. Lump that in with stumbling into a universe that I fell in love with playing with friends and inspirstion from a few friends after seeing what they've put together, and I'm sold.

I'm getting to learn a new craft and getting to be creative while showing a passion for a universe that's helped me build friendships over the years.

Fast forward to today, I've got a few things in the works with an Eaglestrike cosplay planned as my first actual build. I have a helmet I'm slowly working in, but that'd on hold until warmer weather and calmer winds come back around since my workspace is outdoors (apartment life is not good for sanding and painting, lol). Haven't been able to get as far with stuff as I'd like, but hey, we all gotta start somewhere.

First full cosplay I've ever done was a GhostBusters outfit, but that wasn't a lot of actual building on my part. I was gifted a proton pack backpack about 5 years ago for my birthday, and that set a lot more things in motion. Yeah, the GhostBuster outfit was a lot less building and more innovating with what I had, but it was the first stepping stone into this world.

I saw what could be done and I immediately got to getting the parts and buidling it. It wasn't pretty (or even very good in my opinion, but it was a fantastic learning experience and it also helped me learn of the 405th. Between then and now I tried pepakura, foam (again) and 3d printing. I've had the best results with 3d printing so I've mostly committed to that. I haven't yet been to a con (first one planned is Dublin Comic Con Spring 2024, hope to see some of you there!) but one of my friends was at the last DCC during the summer and met some 405th members there.

I've grown to trust this group and really do love the crafting hobby,
I hope the story wasn't ranting too much or boring.
That's awesome that you were able to make your own costume, even if it didn't turn out as you had hoped. But that's definitely one of the percs of this hobby is that you get to see the improvements as you go. I know when I did my first costume, I thought it was okay (and I guess it was) but by my standards today would be terrible. Either way, I remember that costume fondly since it was a huge learning experience and was still fun to make. ;)

I've always wanted 1 of 2 suits, spartan armor or clone armor. Back in the day I follow impact props with all of their stuff they were doing. So I got me 1 of my favorite helmets Gen2 Recon and kinda practiced on what to do and not to do. When I moved back home to MI, I saved up and bought a foam kit for H4 chief.... well the seller didn't give me half of the stuff so I had to just dive into the deep end and the rest is history. I still have that helmet to this day and well that armor is long gone.
Those are the two suits that I want as well. It would be super cool to have a clone trooper on a posable mannequin in the corner of a room or something, lol. That's good that you got into this hobby through that foam kit. I never had one of those (foam scared me and still does), but I did get the H4 costume back in the day. It was a little tight on me but the helmet was cool, so I just put it on a shelf and called it a day.

I was introduced to Halo 2 in 2020, before that I was more into stuff like CoD and Arma and had never delved much into sci-fi games. I've been fascinated ever since, but got really into it when Infinite released their flights in 2021. I fell in love with the universe. I thought it would be neat to emulate it in person, so I delved into google with the intent to become a spartan and found the 405th. Super hyped to have a set of armor that I've really poured my blood, sweat, and tears into.
Most people I know seem to fall in love with the universe, even if they don't like the games. That proves how awesome Halo really is! I am also super hyped to have armor that I have poured my blood, sweat, and tears into. Hopefully not too much of any of those though... :lol:

Back in 2019 New years I went down to Texas for a new years party with cousins, they had a Xbox there with MCC loaded in, I asked and they said I could use it, I remember playing CE anniversary for the first time there, Pillar of Autumn and a part of Halo, I spent the new year clock turn to 2020 on Halo, from that point on I was invested with the story and of course the Spartans. A few months later I bought my first ever console an Xbox Series S, and It has served me faithfully ever sense, after a bit I got MCC myself and played Reach for the first time, its been my fav ever since. Finally I heard about all this and decided I wanted in, and the rest is history...
Halo Reach is absolutely one of my favorite games of all time. It's definitely the game I've replayed the most (pretty much once or twice a year since it came out). Halo CE is right behind Reach for me and would probably surpass it if I was more nostalgic for it. The armor customization in Reach was definitely the biggest push for me to think of myself wearing Spartan armor. And now I have some being made. Dreams do come true! :D

I'm getting to learn a new craft and getting to be creative while showing a passion for a universe that's helped me build friendships over the years.

Fast forward to today, I've got a few things in the works with an Eaglestrike cosplay planned as my first actual build. I have a helmet I'm slowly working in, but that'd on hold until warmer weather and calmer winds come back around since my workspace is outdoors (apartment life is not good for sanding and painting, lol). Haven't been able to get as far with stuff as I'd like, but hey, we all gotta start somewhere.
Same here! It's been super fun learning the ins and outs of making these suits! I wish I would've started this sooner, but I didn't know my printer enough to brave 30-40 hour prints. Now I'm pretty confident with it, even though there is a hiccup every once in a while. I definitely feel your struggle with apartment life. Luckily, my parents have a shop that I'll be doing all of that painting and sanding in since my apartment would probably be mad at me if I did that. I'll be moving into a townhouse with a garage here soon though, so hopefully that lets me speed up my process a little bit. Can't wait to see your armor as it progresses!

Aw I like this thread idea! When Halo:Reach released I played on my brothers xbox and fell in love and immediately got a 360 and the game. Cue me playing hours a day for years and years lol. I instantly fell in love with the armor design, so my brother and I found some pep files to start helmets. I loved the crafting aspect of it, I've always been arts and crafty, but we had no idea how to finish the pep helmets. A little while later his girlfriend found liltyrant's kat build and she and I were blown away by the fact that we could use foam to build something like this. That discovery really started up the obsession because it was a medium I could actually comprehend and work in. Somewhere at this point I also attended Dragoncon and got a photo with a bunch of OG stony props guys (I was maybe 14 or 15) and other Halo builders and vowed to have a suit to wear to Dragoncon one day. I've made multiple suits at this point and I don't intend to stop! I'm 26 now and this hobby has changed my life. I have a brother in law that my sister and I met at a con because of this, I have so many wonderful friends and memories, I painted professionally at a job that my armor got me, and I have my absolute favorite hobby of cosplaying. I take months or years away to focus on other stuff but I'll always come back to Halo armor!

Hey everyone!

I was just really curious what everyone's story was on why they started making cosplay/costumes and what led them to where they are in the hobby today. I didn't see an existing thread that covered this specific topic and I really wanted to see how similar (or different) everyone's reasons/experiences are.

Personally, I have liked to make costumes since I was about 8 or 9 where I made Ninja Turtle outfits and weapons. My material of choice was cardboard until I was about 13 and found out that there were alternatives... but I still preferred cardboard. ;)

The main reason I stepped into the halo side of things was due to some totally cool dudes that I met at Emerald City Comicon with their ODST and Spartan cosplays. I was in so much awe that I had to go home and google what it was all about (using my Nintendo DS-i internet browser), where I stumbled across using foam for making costumes. I was terrible at it and eventually gave up... Until I got a 3D printer!!! :D

And that's where I am today.

So... what are your

Hey everyone!

I was just really curious what everyone's story was on why they started making cosplay/costumes and what led them to where they are in the hobby today. I didn't see an existing thread that covered this specific topic and I really wanted to see how similar (or different) everyone's reasons/experiences are.

Personally, I have liked to make costumes since I was about 8 or 9 where I made Ninja Turtle outfits and weapons. My material of choice was cardboard until I was about 13 and found out that there were alternatives... but I still preferred cardboard. ;)

The main reason I stepped into the halo side of things was due to some totally cool dudes that I met at Emerald City Comicon with their ODST and Spartan cosplays. I was in so much awe that I had to go home and google what it was all about (using my Nintendo DS-i internet browser), where I stumbled across using foam for making costumes. I was terrible at it and eventually gave up... Until I got a 3D printer!!! :D

And that's where I am today.

So... what are your stories?
With me it started about 5 years ago it so happened that I was in youtube and seen a person make the predator helmet with eva foam. So I did my best to follow the you tube persons walk throw and it came out not to bad. But from that moment on it made me want to know more about cosplay. I have to admit it was something took as a challenge. In challenging myself it helped Me honestly to have more of a open mind to have more patience and commit to a project. This past Halloween was my Mandolorian costume and to see all the kids get a kick of seeing Mandolorian in person there eyes light up to actually see Mando. That was priceless.

The main reason I stepped into the halo side of things was due to some totally cool dudes that I met at Emerald City Comicon with their ODST and Spartan cosplays. I was in so much awe that I had to go home and google what it was all about (using my Nintendo DS-i internet browser)
LOL the DS browser XD
Love that

I stumbled across some tiktok/insta Spartans and discovered the 405th. A bunch of customizable spartans, cosplaying for funsies, and a really cool community? It literally doesn't get any better.

About 25 years ago, my brother got me into the Yamaha paper craft motorcycles, and around 2008 I was looking for a project to pass some time and stumbled across the 405th. I've since gotten too busy, but after going to my first con, I decided to look back into it.

Aw I like this thread idea! When Halo:Reach released I played on my brothers xbox and fell in love and immediately got a 360 and the game. Cue me playing hours a day for years and years lol. I instantly fell in love with the armor design, so my brother and I found some pep files to start helmets. I loved the crafting aspect of it, I've always been arts and crafty, but we had no idea how to finish the pep helmets. A little while later his girlfriend found liltyrant's kat build and she and I were blown away by the fact that we could use foam to build something like this. That discovery really started up the obsession because it was a medium I could actually comprehend and work in. Somewhere at this point I also attended Dragoncon and got a photo with a bunch of OG stony props guys (I was maybe 14 or 15) and other Halo builders and vowed to have a suit to wear to Dragoncon one day. I've made multiple suits at this point and I don't intend to stop! I'm 26 now and this hobby has changed my life. I have a brother in law that my sister and I met at a con because of this, I have so many wonderful friends and memories, I painted professionally at a job that my armor got me, and I have my absolute favorite hobby of cosplaying. I take months or years away to focus on other stuff but I'll always come back to Halo armor!
Halo: Reach is definitely one of my favorite games of all time. Not necessarily just because of the quality, but because of the hours upon hours that I spent in that game with friends playing campaign, multiplayer, and forge. I liked Halo before it, but I didn't start to "get it" until Reach came out. My friends and I used to draw our Spartans and make battle plans, all sorts of stuff.

I was never very crafty, but when I talked to a cosplayer in Seattle that had some foam armor, I was extremely impressed. I never even thought of foam as a crafting medium and found it to be pretty magical, I still think that to this day to be honest. It's super cool that you've made so many suits and have even found professional success because of your armor. Keep on keeping on. :cool:

Halo: Reach is definitely one of my favorite games of all time. Not necessarily just because of the quality, but because of the hours upon hours that I spent in that game with friends playing campaign, multiplayer, and forge. I liked Halo before it, but I didn't start to "get it" until Reach came out. My friends and I used to draw our Spartans and make battle plans, all sorts of stuff.

I was never very crafty, but when I talked to a cosplayer in Seattle that had some foam armor, I was extremely impressed. I never even thought of foam as a crafting medium and found it to be pretty magical, I still think that to this day to be honest. It's super cool that you've made so many suits and have even found professional success because of your armor. Keep on keeping on. :cool:
Yes! Reach was the first shooter and Halo game that sucked me in, it's such a beautiful game and game me countless good memories with friends and strangers. I love that, those sound like great memories! I feel the same about foam, it's versatility and price and user friendliness are unmatched and feel so limitless. Thank you, I appreciate that!!!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back