Who's Watched The Watchmen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sean Bradley said:
It's a penis.. can't be the first you've seen... right?

I found it pretty interesting when I went to see it to observe how many people snickered and squirmed whenever Doc Manhattan's full frontal was on screen. I'm just very amused at how visibly uncomfortable it made people feel to see a naked man on screen when they're probably watched hundreds, thousands.. if not millions of naked women in Hollywood films. My wife thinks this is completely hilarious.. for years she's been telling me how unfair it is that she's had to sit through hours of total female nudity in film to just occasionally see a dude. It's about fairness for her..

I think the point of it is that Doc Manhattan doesn't feel any shame or embarrassment because he's more evolved than the rest of the species. I just laugh at how it points out our society's discomfort over our own bodies. Sometimes I forget that this country was founded by puritans.
To me the film was a near exact representation of the story in the graphic novel. It's not dumbed down for audiences, which I absolutely love. It's not a glamorous superhero movie, it forces you to re-evaluate the entire concept of superheroes and your expectations, and I think that it does that perfectly. The changed ending didn't bug me, simply because I thought that the original ending was pretty weak. To me the movie ending actually makes far more sense than the book.

It's not for everyone, and not everyone is going to accept the realism of it. That only makes it more interesting to me.

A masterpiece, in this form or any other.

I agree with you Sean... I'm a huge comic fan and I thought the movie was good.

Last edited by a moderator:
pooper said:
I agree with you Sean... I'm a huge comic fan and I thought the movie was good.

pooper???? you too have joined the darkside? how was the movie good? I wanted to start a petition to get my money back (and all the others who went to see it thinkin it would be good) and to have Zack snyder shot into the sun from a giant cannon.

Whoa, hold on there... while there where some differences between the novel and the movie, it wasn't that bad. It's not the greatest movie out there... I thought it was enjoyable and I like it. Nothing wrong with that, is there?

My brother agrees with you 100 percent though, spartan 857. He totally hates the movie... and he loves the graphic novel.

pooper said:
Whoa, hold on there... while there where some differences between the novel and the movie, it wasn't that bad. It's not the greatest movie out there... I thought it was enjoyable and I like it. Nothing wrong with that, is there?

My brother agrees with you 100 percent though, spartan 857. He totally hates the movie... and he loves the graphic novel.
Even tho it was dissapointing, it wasnt all bad.........but it like you said it wasnt the greatest. From what I read, Alan moore hasnt watched any of the movie adaptations of his novels. heres a line from an interview-

"Moore said all that with more mischievous glee than true malice, but I know it will still pain "Watchmen" director Zack Snyder when he reads it. The director of "300" absolutely adores the work of Moore and has been laboring intensely to bring "Watchmen" to the screen with faithful sophistication. But I don't think there's any way to win Moore over, he simply detests Hollywood. Moore said he has never watched any of the film adaptations of his comics creations (which have included "V for Vendetta," "From Hell," "Constantine" and "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen") and that he believes "Watchmen" is "inherently unfilmable." He also rues the effect of Hollywood's siren call on the contemporary comics scene."

Yeah, I've always knew Alan Moore had some kind of feud with Hollywood...

But this movie isn't for everyone... Some will hate it, some will like it. And I like the movie... The darkside is more fun! :p

pooper said:
Yeah, I've always knew Alan Moore had some kind of feud with Hollywood...

But this movie isn't for everyone... Some will hate it, some will like it. And I like the movie... The darkside is more fun! :p

The darkside has force lightning........and giant blue wangs lol.

Spartan857 said:
*long post of differences*
Yes, there were changes in the movie, most of which were really unnecessary, but I wouldnt say those changes ruined it.
The ending was changed because a giant squid with the brain of a psychic teleporting to New York and instantly blowing up New York wouldn't make that much sense to many people.

The only real change that made it less enjoyable for me was that they left out how Rorschach got (made) his mask. Hopefully that will be in the directors cut.

Tater Mane said:
Yes, there were changes in the movie, most of which were really unnecessary, but I wouldnt say those changes ruined it.
The ending was changed because a giant squid with the brain of a psychic teleporting to New York and instantly blowing up New York wouldn't make that much sense to many people.

The only real change that made it less enjoyable for me was that they left out how Rorschach got (made) his mask. Hopefully that will be in the directors cut.

You are right about the ending, but why frame manhattan, wouldnt you think he could tell that Ozy was gunna do that to him? I dont really remember the Tachyons in the movie ( Ive tried and tried to forget that abomination of a movie) that were in the book caused by the Giant psychic squid.

And the Rorchach mask bit was crucial to why he became a hero in the first place.....as mentioned in Boondock saints Kitty Genovese, being ordered for her and she didnt want it then turned up dead yada yada.......

honestly you dont want my true opinion, but i felt th the cgi, and specialfx were get however i didn't like the fact that i saw radio active penis the whole time. also the best character , the comedian within the first 10 mins is pronounced dead. its far from the comic books in general and far from the specific comic book it based on. but like i said you dont want my true opinion

p0rtalman said:
Just got back from the Watchmen... and wow... no spoilers, but its a brilliant film.
I cant really think of anything to describe it, its left me totally speechless...
I know a lot of people will be comparing it to the dark knight, in terms of action it doesn't have as much. But that doesn't stop it from being a brilliant movie.
Jackie Earle Haley was brilliant as Rorschach, IMO he rivaled the performance of heath ledger in the dark knight.

So what does everyone else think of it?

saw it at midnight and it was good even though it wasn't exactly like the bood

Slimguy379 said:
however i didn't like the fact that i saw radio active penis the whole time.

People really need to stop exaggerating. Dr. Manhattan's full body isn't shown all that much. And why is it necessarily bad that you see a penis? Why is it that no one is complaining about all the brutal killing in the film, like Rorschach's confrontation with the kidnapper? People today seem to adore whatever destroys life, and denounce what promotes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back