Why can't we be friends?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We already have one. It's called the Stickies. Noobs don't read them, why would they download and read a massive PDF? As good an idea as it is, I don't think it's a solution.

Akademee, I basically have the same story as you, there. And, I agree, it was having to wait for reg to open that made me as civil as I am, now.

While I disagree with the 501st's Elitism, their limit on registration is a pretty sound idea. There aren't idiots, for lack of a better term, in the 501st. So, I think the 405th needs to close registration for awhile, and only open it occasionally, for a short period, to let new guys jump on our bandwagon. It would give people a chance to learn before they joined, and ask stupid questions. I'm sure every, single member of this forum has the intelligence to do anything any other member can do. Giddiness can override that intelligence, though.

So, I guess, my point is, sober the new kids up by makin' 'em wait to register. Gives 'em a chance to learn.
Well. I guess that would work. Maybe thin out the flow. Get some members with more "smarticles" and skills. unregistered users can stil get the files and read threads.

ok so it sounds to me like the best course of action that should be taken is limit registration since we have 33,000+ members and only about 3000 active members sounds to me like we should close the registration and delete any account that hasn't been active within the last 6 months or whatever time frame. i think the idea of the welcome forum should be considered as:
A it would stop the noob forum being clogged up with 'hi im [insert name here] im from [insert region] and i wanna build armour. we have an intro thread for that but it seems to me not many people use it. this would give people the opertunity to look at these threads seperatly from possible WIPs.
and
B it would allow the staff to weed out the people who have no hope because they just plagerised the into on rules.

i disagree on the DDOS attach because they are not allowed to join as the registration restrictions were around for a while and there were no attacks. The attack was most likely a childish ex-member who was banned for whatever reason thought he/she didn't deserve it and wanted to teach us a lesson.
that or it was just one of those inmature gits that populate the darker regions of the net

It's not up to us, we can make a suggestion to the mods and to Adam, but overall it's their forum, we're just guests :)

No, but we can petition Adam and company to make some changes. (not by spamming them with PM's, btw)

Thanks for nipping me on that Rumble. It was two local Garrison officers of Cincinnati. They left me with a pretty foul taste in my mouth. I like both groups so don't get me wrong there. There are great modelers and builders in both. Sorry, that aside for me.

I just like how the 405th allowed me to get in with almost no problems. And no one bashing me too hard. And thanks guys in a sense for being patient with this "newbie".

And a 405th Handbook would have made things go 10x faster for me the way Devious here has planned.

It's not up to us, we can make a suggestion to the mods and to Adam, but overall it's their forum, we're just guests :)

Thats true and Jester, i also agree with a instruction mandatory, maybe having it manditory to read before entering the forum or maybe a downloadable document new people can read, but no to long so that it makes them not want to read it.

The ideas so far are well though out in my opinion, but I'd like to put forward one as well.
A bit of background first - like many people that have posted, I stumbled upon the 405th while looking at armour creation techniques (I had a sudden urging to make armour). I didn't make an account at first - I had no idea what this 'pepakura' thing was and I was not familiar with fiberglass resin or body filler. So I just hung around for about a month (might've been less, I forget), reading stickies, following links to tutorials (many thanks to Ithica and Ben Streeper in particular), just trying to get the gist of things, figure out if it was even POSSIBLE for me to do something this awesome.

Eventually decided that, yes, with a lot of dedication, it WOULD be possible.

This seems to be the trend I've seen in newer members such as myself who aren't are at the, well, 'higher' end of the scale of noobiness (if that doesn't sound arrogant). i.e. The noobs who don't think they can demand their armour into existence and show a reasonable degree of common courtesy and resepct (and sense).

So why not make this the ONLY way for a person to join? We already have restrictions on posting in anywhere but the noob forum (100 posts +), and vieweing the Classifieds section. So why not, for the first fortnight of membership (or month even) disable the member's ability to post? It might also help to only allow them the ability to view the 'Uniform , Armour and Propmaking' section.

In that time they'll have to have viewed a certain number of stickies (or threads that have been marked as 'tutorials' or 'important'), otherwise the probation will be extended until they have fulfilled the requirements. This would help stop people abusing this system (say, making an account and then sitting on it for a month, or just clicking on the sticky links and then closing them down again).

There might be a better expansion of my idea, but this is just my two cents.

i think having a petition is a good idea. If we only have 3000/30000 active users, remove them from the website and let new memberss roll in slowly

That would be a good idea plus it would clear up some server space... I used to maintain web servers and they can be a head ache but with only active users registered it would be easier plus delete all of the old threads that are no longer in use considering the mods think posting on old threads is bad so if they want that stopped just delete them

That would be a good idea plus it would clear up some server space... I used to maintain web servers and they can be a head ache but with only active users registered it would be easier plus delete all of the old threads that are no longer in use considering the mods think posting on old threads is bad so if they want that stopped just delete them

deleting the old threads is a bad idea as i quiet often go back to threads i read when i first joined as there is a gold mine of good ideas that people have forgotten about (although a lot of the old threads have disappeared during the move from forum to forum)

i came up with an idea- it might sound out there and wont work but anyway- how bout like a new level of accounts"probie" which is given for a month so they can be able to participate somewhat but ONLY like noob forum and general discussion. After a month of the admins or mods decide its fine to let them in, they get a normal account. idk-whadda u think

yeah but when someone "posts" on old threads its like a cardinal sin to them lol but yeah a probate account would be a great idea

i came up with an idea- it might sound out there and wont work but anyway- how bout like a new level of accounts"probie" which is given for a month so they can be able to participate somewhat but ONLY like noob forum and general discussion. After a month of the admins or mods decide its fine to let them in, they get a normal account. idk-whadda u think

That's... basically what I said a page back. I agree 8D

Also, deleting old posts isbad... just like adventchild, I regularly go through the search options to find old posts on problems I have, rather then create new ones on old topics (which is what one of the issues we have is). For instance - earlier this week I spent half an hour reviewing old threads on techniques concerning boot creation. I read about 10 threads. Deleting these would just cause an influx of new threads from people other then the new noobs, imo.

Ooh, I really like that idea. Make it so you can't post for a while after you've created your account. That would force members to read the stickies, and other threads, or leave. And, if someone's just gonna leave, instead of waiting, guess they never had the patience for armoring, eh?

That should thin out the issue. As for existing noobs who don't learn, I say politely direct them to the stickies if they ask or PM you, and, if they offend too many times, some sort of punitive action be taken. That would be entirely up to the mods. I can't even suggest something appropriate for that.

on the xbox forum that I ran if we ran into any offensive users is was an automatic 1 month ban no questions asked. I know I am considered new but I also have alot to bring to the table

I’ve been a registered member here for just over 2 years now, and before that I lurked for a good, long 10 months. I’ve been here a fairly long time, and I have to admit, things are worse then ever.

I know a lot of people have tried making improvement suggestions, FEW of which actually are taken to heart. I know I tried to initiate a change of pace many times here on the 405th. For example, I organized a veterans meeting to brainstorm ideas on how to fix problems here on the 405th. We came up with many ideas, including a handbook for making pepakura armour, reorganizing and heavily revising the stickies/tutorials, limiting registration, increasing the moderation staff and so on. Non of which have really been done, no matter the initiative taken by myself or any other member here.

In fact, during the first Veterans meeting, Adam was in attendance, as well as Spase and many other members. Adam asked if there were any volunteers for the moderation team and right away I volunteered as well as a few other members in attendance. There are plenty of eligible veterans who would be glad to step forward and take on a moderation roll, yet nothing much has been done to date.

Believe it or not, the most recent additions to the moderating team (Ruze789 and Rundown) have been the most active for the past few months. What does that tell you?

I’ve written countless tutorials, including an article published weekly on the 405th Source page (formally the 405th’s main page before the DDOS Attack) for two months strait that was PACKED with tips, tricks and a tutorial every week including a full write up and pictures. I was hoping the tutorials would help spur a reaction, however despite a lot of traffic and high-praise, nothing seemed to happen, and the tutorials I wrote fell to the bottom of the barrel.

Joe (AKA Kensai111) who was the “boss” of those of us members on the Source even attempted to create a 405th costuming handbook. The project lost momentum after the 405th Source team started petering out.

Recently I offered to do a complete overhaul on the stickies and help fill a few blanks in the tutorials. My offer was taken to heart by Spase, and after a fair bit of going back and forth, nothing has happened yet. He showed interest and wished for me to help, yet I’m still waiting on my official go-ahead to get started.

Now, many of you may be wondering what is up with my “obsession” over the tutorials/stickies? Let’s face it, the current stickies are not perfect. They need to be re-written and re-organized in the same format so they are VERY easily understandable, are less confusing, and pictures and videos are included for further help. Hopefully this would help members more opposed to them being pointed to a bunch of broken and sometimes confusing and outdated tutorials. This may stop a large portion of the problems we are experiencing here. Again, I’ve offered to do this more then once, yet I have not been given the official go-ahead.

So many people have tried to change the 405th for the better recently, yet nothing seems to happen. Is initiate a problem for getting these things done? No. The problem is that although the Moderators and Administrators see our offers to help, they are unsure it would even make a difference, no matter how small it may be. I believe they should give a very small contingency of highly respected and well known members the power to get to work on the 405th. Chances are every second these members spend tweaking things would help make a newbs day 10 times easier.

Perhaps if we make some improvements, things won’t be so bad in the future, and long-time members might stop withdrawing from the community. After all, they are essential in the 405th community. Without us, there would be little to no knowledge to pass around. I’ve withdrawn myself from the community a fair bit, but I’m not gone yet. There is still hope for the future.

Stay frosty,

Jake
Xtreme TACTICS 101

I agree about the stickies, some do seem to be abit vague and i have to say, i would have had greatly apreaciated that thread of tuts you made when i signed up, sucks to know it was put to waste. :( But maybe the Mods and Administrators are just trying to take care of things their way and are carefull about using people suggestions because they don't know what could happen. Its not to blame them that they are protective over their forum after all like Purrie said, it belongs to them.

Adam as in Adam Grumbo yeah ive heard alot about him just have not talked to him, as I stated before I am new but I can see alot of structural changes that need to be made

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back