-WIP- Mr. Rouseau's Themed Reach Build [Pic Heavy]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beautiful work!!! I love the mix and match idea, a lot of people get stuck on absolute game authentic suits and miss some good looks, I've made a foam satchmo shin I'm using with my odst and spartan build, thinking to use the halo 4 chest too. I love what you've got so far and am curious about this "theme". Keep it up man, can't wait to see where this goes.

I finally found some time to put together the forearm that I've had printed all this time. Unfortunately, I left all my PDOs at home. Luckily enough, these forearms are pretty simple so I didn't have too much trouble.

Again, this is Satchmo III's Ghosts of Onyx Forearm SPI.

1208090006.jpg

And here's one with it on my arm so you can see how it's scaled:

1208090003.jpg

Also, you might notice that these images are a little smaller than what I've posted in the past. That's because my phone got blasted by an EMP (Read: the electric motor of a SkyJack) and I was forced to pick up a Go Phone as a temporary until I can get my real phone replaced. It's also wiped three of my hotel key cards, for the record.

For future reference, I do plan on taking pictures of the finished pieces with my T3i so you can expect better quality later on.

nice SPI's ;P

I love how unique this build is! Never really see armour mixed together like this but I think it looks great.
Brilliant job so far, can't wait for more :)

So little time...

I've worked something like like thirty hours the last couple of days.
I did manage to put together one of these, though:

1208130006.jpg

And a couple more. First, a shot of it on-hand:

1208130004.jpg

And one on-hand WITH the SPI forearm:

1208130005.jpg

When I get home, the plan is to finish the pieces that I have pepped and complete the other arm before moving on to the lower body. The helmet is first since I already have a few special materials lying around the house that I'll need to make it operable.

Oh... and I already have paint, too. Maybe I'll snap a picture of that when I have a chance.
It would make for a good hint.

DUDE!!! that hand plate looks awsome with the SPI forearm. you, my friend are making me rethink my armor design (again)!

I've made quite a bit of progress with the helmet in the last twenty-four hours.

You'll have to excuse the washed out go phone pictures and the painter's tape that's holding everything together. I wanted to take some pictures and get them 405th-side as quickly as possible so I can do my best to finish it in the next couple of days. The 3DS XL comes out Sunday and my local Gamestop guys have been dying to see some of this in person, so... you know.

1208160004.jpg

1208160005.jpg

You'll also have to excuse my hangy balaclava. Part of my undersuit is going to be a neck lock so that should get taken care of. Other than that, you probably notice a couple things about this that are a little different.

First, the visor is mirrored green. These pictures don't really do it justice because it's a really nice emerald sort of green in person. Again... Go phone.

Second, there's painter's tape all along the back of the helmet, right along that indent line that runs full-circle around the piece. That's holding that bottom bit to the top bit temporarily. I wanted the helmet to be a more game accurate size than the last one I made but I didn't want to cut a giant hole in the bottom to fit my giant head through.

This was my solution. I'm currently hot gluing a line of foamies along the top ridge with a sort of foamie hinge right in the back and several pairs of neodymium button magnets along the sides to hold it in place. As strong as the magnets are and as little as the neck piece weighs, I don't know that the foamie hinge will even be necessary. We'll see.

After that, I'll be free to bondo.

Here's a smallish update since I was out of town for the weekend.

Bondo on the helm has begun!

img20120818164539.jpg

img20120818164511.jpg

img20120818031509.jpg

As you can see, it's just the top and it's still a little uneven but it's coming along.

Hello, all!

It's time for another smallish update.
I only get to work at night once the temperature has dropped and I'm usually tired from the day but I think I've made a good bit of progress here. You be the judge(s).

img20120827232443.jpg

A bit of bondo, a couple rasps, and a coat of primer later and you have this rough hunka junk!
It's looking pretty good so far... Still needs a helping of bondo/filler and some sanding here and there.

I've been putting off those side-of-the-head things since I know they aren't going to be fun to get bondo in and sand but it'll probably happen tomorrow night. That and the visor fitting are next on the list.

I'm working on something new, everyone.
Here are patterns for my slices:

img20120829011800.jpg

Can you guess what it is?
I think it's pretty obvious...

I'll get back to armor soon. The helmet is almost done.
I just needed a short break from it.

You got it! DMR!
It's one of Dem Miniature Rifles. AKA a pistol.

Here's some progress:

img20120829185222.jpg

Sheet one.

img20120829202930.jpg

Sheet two.

img20120829202940.jpg

And the parts from sheet one rough-cut out.

I'm going with MDF on this build for a couple reasons.
First, the plasma pistol is supposed to weigh nearly eight pounds. I don't think it'll be quite that, but it'll have more weight than it would if I made it out of foam.
Second, I've used MDF for woodcuts before. Like... Relief printmaking stuff. I already have a few sets of lino blades rolling around so the fine details on this are going to be a breeze.

Also, it's a fairly simplistic design. I'll probably be able to make a mold of it at some point. This is good for me since I still have to do a directed study for my filmmaking Master's program. It might as well be prop-building, right?

Anyway... It's back to the spindle sander for me.

How about an update since we're back?

I took the site's down time as an opportunity to let the project rest but I've gotten back into it.
Here's the state of the helmet:

img20120919214046.jpg

img20120919213946.jpg

As you can see, it's got a base coat of red and black and I've taped in a test visor of sorts to see how the colour matches. Nothing too serious. Next up on the helmet is weathering and very, very, very minimal battle damage. Just a couple nicks, really. Other than that, I just want it to look a little grimy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back