Loess' Halo 2 Odst

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh, yes, there is a smooth version. At least it wasn't out when I started.... That would be really disheartening.

It's now officially too cold to work in my garage, have to suspend operations here and move to my dad's shop for any messy work.

Luckily, I got the shoulders far enough along to do some illustration board overlay detailing.

H2ODST065-1.jpgH2ODST069-1.jpgH2ODST068-1.jpgH2ODST072-1.jpg
H2ODST071-1.jpgH2ODST073-1.jpgH2ODST074-1.jpgH2ODST075-1.jpg

The outer rim is 3/8" wide strips, the inner ring is 3/16" wide strips. They're just glued on with CA glue (superglue). A little spot putty and primer and this should look pretty good.

*Edit*
If anyone wants them, Here's the ODST reference pictures that Doom posted in the molded armor reference section. I've cleaned up the backgrounds and adjusted the contrast to be more visible and printable.

I don't have any more pictures of it yet. I've been waiting to start a thread for it until I was ready to concentrate on it as my primary project. I had to build the helm as soon as you released it, though, since I like the Halo 1 mk5 so much.

In other news, I got to town today, and got most of the off-the-shelf parts for my costume. Boots, gloves, balaclava, and elbow pads. Also, I got fabric and snaps to make the pouches and kidney/hip pads for the belt. All that I still need to obtain is the visor and BDUs

H2ODST078-1.jpgH2ODST079-1.jpg

The boots are Wellco Eurolite, 50USD at Dunham's Sports. Same place for the elbow pads, which are actually rollerblading kneepads for a litle kid. The Balaclava is a Seirus Thermax Headliner from Scheel's Sports. The gloves also came from Scheel's, the only brand tag is Legacy Leathers Deer Path. They came out of a bargain bin and cost all of $0.01 :D yeah, one cent for nice leather and spandex gloves.

Yes, I am sort of double-posting, but it's been nearly two months, and I have new content.

Most of the rough work is done, still need to fill a couple low spots.
H2ODST081-1.jpgH2ODST082-1.jpgH2ODST083-1.jpg

I used electrical tape to get straight edges to lay out the details on the back and helm.
H2ODST088-1.jpgH2ODST089-1.jpgH2ODST090-1.jpgH2ODST091-1.jpg

Thanks guys, Here's today's progress.

I used a cutting wheel in my dremel to cut out the inset areas, and made some wood depth spacers.
H2ODST093-1.jpgH2ODST094-1.jpg

I glued the spacers on with tiny little drops of hotglue. (Really little drops, you don't want them to tear up the bondo.) And, a bit of bondo-glass to hold the pieces in place.
H2ODST097-1.jpgH2ODST099-1.jpg

Doesn't look too bad.
H2ODST100-1.jpgH2ODST101-1.jpg

Just need to get the other side and the two sloped indents cut out and glued in place, then it's just a little bondo work and some overlay details.

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Finally done with the nerve-wracking cutting-into portion of detailing the torso.
H2ODST102-1.jpg

And now, better close-ups of how the inset spacers go on, and how the sloped indents work.
H2ODST105-1.jpgH2ODST106-1.jpgH2ODST103-1.jpgH2ODST104-1.jpg

Followed by more bondo-glass putty.
H2ODST108-1.jpg

All the cutting and reattaching done for the torso.
H2ODST109-1.jpgH2ODST115-1.jpg

And yet more terrifying cutting into of nearly finished pieces.
H2ODST110-1.jpgH2ODST113-1.jpg

Now I need to get about two more of these cutters, this one is pretty worn out after cutting through bondo, resined paper, and hard bondo-glass.

*EDIT*
Here's yesterday's progress, not a lot to show in pictures, it was mostly small stuff that doesn't stand out, like cleaning up edges and filling low spots. I did get a bunch of the detailing done on the chest, and I finished dremeling the grooves into the helm.
th_H2ODST116.jpgth_H2ODST117.jpgth_H2ODST119.jpgth_H2ODST121.jpg

Lookin good! keep up the good work

I don't know if you have anwered this already, but are you going to make all of the cheek details and other details on the helmet that are actually indented into the helmet?

I sorta went over that in the original post, but I've changed what I was going to do since then. I'm going with the dremel'd grooves around the back of the head, the ears, and the cheeks, and I'm cutting out and insetting the sides of the dome.
th_H2ODST123.jpg

I was playing blacksmith most of today helping my dad build a sculpture, so all I got done on the armor was cutting out the one side of the helm and a little cleanup on the grooving.

It's nice to be able to pay shop rent by playing in a metal shop. :p

*EDIT*

Since the indents were cut out of the dome, I had to cut a short section out of them so they'd fit.
th_H2ODST124.jpg

More spacers and hotglue
th_H2ODST125.jpgth_H2ODST126.jpg

The side indents fixed in place with bondo-glass.
th_H2ODST127.jpgth_H2ODST128.jpgth_H2ODST129.jpg
th_H2ODST130.jpgth_H2ODST131.jpg

First coat of filler primer to show the spots that still need work.
th_H2ODST132.jpgth_H2ODST133.jpgth_H2ODST134.jpg

Shade said:
Wow, you've inspired me to keep working on my H2 ODST helmet.

Cool, we need more ODST's and Marines, from all the games.

Last edited by a moderator:
My gawd! ;)

Damn, dude... I'm just loving the detail work you've done on both the helmet and chest armour! I've employed some of the same technique on my Mk VI helmet; cutting out and recessing those areas (primarily the top vents, top nose piece and the smalle recessed squares on the rear "band" of the helmet). It definately adds a nice depth/three-dimensionality to the details.

My-tee impressive work there! :not worthy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back