Mk Vi Cobalt Scout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hale

Jr Member
Update- Finished product....well, finished enough to wear at least. Check what I've got done so far:

th_paxextremefull.png th_0914000041.jpg

Alright, I've been slacking on my armor, so I figured I'd post my stuff here. At the very least, maybe getting some feedback and criticism will keep me from procrastinating. Being that I don't like to take up too much room, I'm just going to keep any posts I have on this particular suit of armor limited to this topic, instead of making a bunch for individual pieces.

The weather here is still a bit windy and cold, so fiberglass and resin isn't exactly an option yet, so I'm working on getting as many Peps done as I can. Currently, I have my Scout helm and Mark VI chest pep'd, as well as a handplate and am currently working on the gauntlets. I'll post those when I get them completed.

Becoming_the_Scout_by_ninjaisonfire.png

Also, I know it's WAY early in the game, but does the helm seem too big? I have a lot of room on the inside, but figured I could just fit the inside with some foam lining, but I don't want to look like a bobble head.

That's all for now, any comments would be totally appreciated!

Lookin' good so far!!

It's hard to tell if the helmet is too big, it looks okay from those pictures. If you could take one with you holding the helmet and having the chest piece on it would be easier to tell... but you've got it all finished so I wouldn't risk ripping it just to see if the size is right.

tl;dr: It's looks fine from those angles, but who knows.

I have a couple images here and here with me wearing the helm, but doubt those'll help, as they still don't give a good scope of size. Oh well, thanks a ton anyway, gamer!

Yes Helmet is too big, if so I think the chest will be too big too..., but I think we need to see you with the chest on hehe, it'll be hard cutting the chest peice to put it on though

Thanks daft and center!

Well, if you think the chest is too big (God, I hope it's not though lol ), I think it would be worth it if I were to cut the chest to put it on anyway. No need to hold on to a piece, thinking it'll fit when it's far too large to wear.

I had pretty much figured on the helm, however. Just really wasn't looking forward to having to do it over again.

The helmet actually looks pretty good in size. It's perfectly scaled to the chest piece, and there's a bunch of crap that's eventually going to go on the inside. If you're going to use fiberglass mat or cloth, that will add some bulk and then the padding and any random electronics you want to put on the inside. You shouldn't have much to worry about with the chest. It needs to be slightly bigger than you are in order to accommodate for padding in the undersuit. If you find that you still have a little extra room, just bulk up your undersuit some. The pictures you show of you wearing the helmet look pretty good.

If it was me, I'd go on with these pieces and make adjustments as necessary. They're close enough that they'll work without too much effort.

Alexvago said:
how much time did you spend building the chest?

Hey, Alex, to answer how long it takes to make an HD chest....

at least 12 hours..................... it was even with plain paper, just for size testing, I don't know why I did it though lol haha

If it was me, I'd go on with these pieces and make adjustments as necessary. They're close enough that they'll work without too much effort.

Well I wouldn't say "without too much effort" But If Hale manages to make the "adjustments" like maybe cutting a few portions here and there then glueing back the right peices to effectively make the chest fit. It definitely saves more effort, time and money than redoing the whole thing hehe

PS, nice input Malechei

Last edited by a moderator:
Alexvago said:
how much time did you spend building the chest?

Man, I don't even know. centerside's estimation of 12 hours is probably a good guess, but probably more. Building the back certainly gave me a lot of trouble.

Malechei said:

Great, thanks for the thoughts, Malechei! With your suggestions, I think the chest piece will work, even if it is too big. As for the helm... well, if it winds up being too big, at the very least I'll have something to practice doing fiberglass and resin on.

centerside said:
Hey, Alex, to answer how long it takes to make an HD chest....

at least 12 hours..................... it was even with plain paper, just for size testing, I don't know why I did it though lol haha
Well I wouldn't say "without too much effort" But If Hale manages to make the "adjustments" like maybe cutting a few portions here and there then glueing back the right peices to effectively make the chest fit. It definitely saves more effort, time and money than redoing the whole thing hehe

PS, nice input Malechei

You built the HD version for sizing tests? You are a machine! Cutting away some points to make it fit, eh? Sounds doable! I'll keep that in mind when the time comes. Thanks!

Well, this isn't going to be much of an update. I've really taken a closer look at the helm scale, and it's just way too big on my head. The Scout style is really odd in how much longer it is than wide, so it's hard to tell. I think I need to go pick up some foam padding and fill up the empty space in the back and get a closer estimation. If anything, I'll just redo it. Maybe even go for the HD version this time around.
Anyway, it's been over a week since my last post. I've got the left arm totally pep'd and ready to be glassed.
th_PICT0633-1.jpgth_PICT0629.jpg

I am however, stumped on how I'm going to pull off the CQB shoulder piece, being as it is a hollow piece, yet solid... if that makes sense. It it totally encased, with only a small opening on the back. Looks like I'll be needing to do some more browsing to see how others here have approached this.

Warm weather is here... quite suddenly, at that. Time to hit the store for some supplies.

This is INSANELY impressive!

Your folds are so neat! This is gonna look amazing once it's f'glassed and bondo'd!

I'll be watching this thread, keep up the awesome work! :)

that's super sweet and very clean looking, can't wait to see what it looks like when it's glassed and bondo'd
:lol:
Can't wait for the next update!

xxFemaleSpartanxx said:
Your folds are so neat! This is gonna look amazing once it's f'glassed and bondo'd!

I'll be watching this thread, keep up the awesome work! :)

Thank you kindly for the watch! And I do take far too long on my peps...glad that they at least gain approval.

Brothers Darkness said:
that's super sweet and very clean looking, can't wait to see what it looks like when it's glassed and bondo'd
:lol:
Can't wait for the next update!

Yeah, I'm not sure what step to take next! So much to do. Plenty to keep me busy!

Wow, it's been a while since I uploaded anything. Was on the sidelines for a bit after having some minor surgery, but all is well now. Sorry for the double-post bump...

Helmet is now fiberglassed, resined, and ready for the next steps. Unfortunately, I have a bit of warping I'll need to somehow manage...

You may want to consider using Polyurethane casting resin with you shoulder piece. Order the trial kit, and slush the inside one edge at a time (Don't try to do the top and bottom in one pour). Then you can either pour in enough resin to fill the shoulder and make it solid plastic, or keep slushing and have it be hollow.

You could also, potentially, fill it with expanding foam, though I'm not sure how strong it would be after that.

Achille said:
You may want to consider using Polyurethane casting resin with you shoulder piece.

Yeah, I've been considering the expanding foam, but I'd like some sturdiness to my pieces. Slush casting, eh? Awesome, something new to learn! Thank you for the suggestion, as I was still pretty stumped on how to handle it.

The countdown has begun. PAX '09 is only 80 days away, so I need to get cracking on this! Made myself out a schedule of the bare minimum I can do and still have it ready in time. Hopefully, it'll stop friggin raining so I can get outside and actually do something.

Anyway, I've made some slight progress on stuff:

Visor gone, preview prime... and boy is it ugly!
th_helmprime.png

Begun, the Bondo Wars have.
th_bondo1.png

Chest finally fiberglassed and resin'd.
th_backresin.png
th_chestresin.png

Onward to new parts!
th_MKVIrightpep.png

Awesome work, the Scout helmet is definitely one of my favorites, and we don't see enough of them. Keep it up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back