Recon Helmet Wip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! I don't go to the main page often - my browser link is directly to the forum. I was PMed by kensai111 about it today. It's awesome that my build was featured! I'm exicted!

I haven't worked on the helmet much since my last post because I've shifted gears to working on the rest of the ODST armor. Gotta build 4 suits for Dragon*Con, so you can imagine we have a lot of work to do!

I did buy a gold visor and I fitted it with a cut clear visor over it to emulate the 3d effect, but I'm not sure I like it. I may keep it to swap out with the clear one. But I'm still thinking of going with the clear visor anyways.

Put a few hours into the helmet last night. I added a rim to the bottom of it to mimic the look of the "We Are ODST" live action helmets (they have a rim around the bottom). The result was a meaner looking helmet as it gave it a little more bulk. I also added the half tube around the back of it by tacking on half of a hose (the ends will be capped off next round of work). I've also begun work on the final version of the clear visor, but I don't have photos of that yet.

S7009684.jpg

S7009689.jpg

Wow dude I love this wip, i tried this once beofre and i didnt really pay much attention to folds and scale as you probably already guessed it sucked, but once i am able to find a printer(mine broke :( ) I will able to print it outand have recon armor once again i love this wip. Good luck with what else you do.

RECON MAN

Well I got the exterior of the helmet finished. For the visor, I ended up going with the gold visor, but instead of vacforming or going double-layer, I ended up using wood engraving hand tools to engrave the details on the visor. The helmet is also highly weathered to match my ODST armor. Still have to pad the interior, though.

S7009941.jpg

S7009942.jpg

S7009940.jpg

S7009937.jpg

Visor detail:

S7009948.jpg

That is a very impressive end product. Are you planning on offering these in the future? It'd be nice to hear you talk about the wood working process you used on the visor. That would help those of us trying to achieve the same results :)

That looks outstanding! What did you use for the detail pieces on either side of the chin piece? Also, which file did you use for the add-on piece on the top of the helmet?

TheFifthSparrow said:
That is a very impressive end product. Are you planning on offering these in the future? It'd be nice to hear you talk about the wood working process you used on the visor. That would help those of us trying to achieve the same results :)

As this is a finished product that is fully painted and not a master copy for molding, I'm not going to run the risk of damaging or ruining it by pouring rubber on it. So there will not be any castings of this.

The process through which I engraved the visor cannot simply be transmitted over the internet. I spent the better part of a year learning and developing the technique through my education in traditional printmaking. I don't mean to sound like I'm not sharing a big secret or anything, but it's not something you can just pick up and do.

Brandon McClain said:
The visor work looks fantastic. The detail work looks great. Nice and clean.

Actually, it's quite filthy. :D

carpathiavh99 said:
That looks outstanding! What did you use for the detail pieces on either side of the chin piece? Also, which file did you use for the add-on piece on the top of the helmet?

Not everything is pepakura. I scratch built the forehead hardpoint. The chin greeblies are resin castings of a scratch built piece.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back