Crunch's Armor Wip

Status
Not open for further replies.

sik1276

Hi, this is my first full-scale armor build. I have built a couple of pep helmets before (one recon, 2 mrkVI with many scaling problems), but just painted, no resin or bondo...mainly because of safety reasons. So I'm doing a papier mache armor which is cool for me because it's semi-cheap.

This is my layout(Changed from orig. plan):

Helm: MarkIV

Torso: Front of the Reach+ Back of the MarkV orig. CE

Biceps: MarkV orig. CE

Forearms: MarkIV

Handplates: MarkVI

Codpiece: MarkVI

Thighs: Mark VI

Legs: Reach

Shoes: Reach back + ??? front

I pepped a lot, reinforced a lot, most parts I threw away. so far it's been handplates, legs, codpiece, wow

gakkengod said:
cool i was gonna try that version but after printing it out decided not to...

What? The markiv torso? Yeah, that's a doozy

Last edited by a moderator:
I just finished doing the pep paper version of this helmet so I could get a feel for it before I go to the cardstock...I am curious, how did you scale this helmet? I have read the stickies over and over but I think my head to my body isnt as proportional as I would like....any advice...BTW very clean job so far, I just hope mine can come out like yours...

Coot

jake11124 said:
The helmet is well done, but I would have gone with the mark V for Church's armor.

lol sorry if it looks like it, my title is not a typo. Crunch is what most of my friends call me to, you know, shorten my name. So...not going for the Red vs Blue character.

Coot said:
I just finished doing the pep paper version of this helmet so I could get a feel for it before I go to the cardstock...I am curious, how did you scale this helmet? I have read the stickies over and over but I think my head to my body isnt as proportional as I would like....any advice...BTW very clean job so far, I just hope mine can come out like yours...

Coot

Well, it's hard for me to say or rather afraid to say if I'm wrong and mess you up as the 3 previous helmets I've built didn't work out so well (first one was the actual size of Master Chief's head, second was like the Legendary edition, and the third didn't cover my upper jawline) though I should mention I have elephant ears and it's hard to pull them back

Most people say to use 280mm(28cm), universal head size or whatnot, but I used a different method, not very accurate. It was to ensure that my head would actually fit. I took the total width of the helmet and divided that by the width of the opening to get the scaling factor and multiply whatever number I got with any one of the dimensions.

Now the helmet I did was 320mm(32cm) and still look to be a bit big for me, but fits fine for me.

(Either that was helpful or a bunch of nonsense...)

Crunch,

Actually that helps alot just by having some form of reference for it....I made the model in the regular scale just so I could see what the default size was for the helmet. I too have big ears so your measurements may not be too far off...I guess I might try building it slightly bigger and adding more padding if I need to. Thanks again for the numbers, cant wait to see whats next for your armor!

Coot

Queen said:
Paper mache, huh? Be careful with it. It's not very sandable.

haven't attempted to sand it not that I have the equipment. I am using a mixture of water and wood glue, so I guess it could be sandable. Mostly the paper mache is on the inside, I don't know why I did it like that, and then I use some strips on the outside to hide noticeable parts where it's been cut, glued, etc. Then I use Mod Podge to smooth the whole thing out.

Coot said:
Crunch,

Actually that helps alot just by having some form of reference for it....I made the model in the regular scale just so I could see what the default size was for the helmet. I too have big ears so your measurements may not be too far off...I guess I might try building it slightly bigger and adding more padding if I need to. Thanks again for the numbers, cant wait to see whats next for your armor!

Coot

well, just temporarily padded it (visor not glued in yet either) and tried it on. yeahhh, might be a bit big

It actually looks fine from here, maybe from this angle at least. But it's good to see another paper mache suit! I'm going to start my own paper mache armor soon so I'm excited to see how yours comes out. Looking good so far!

Crunch,

I finally finished my first pep of this helmet that I scaled in the overall scale of 295. I think I remember you said that you scaled yours at 320? Anyway my helmet came out really big for me. I wonder if I used the a different pep file from what you used...anyway Im going to try to make the helmet again this time in 265 scale instead. I thought my calculations would of been more consistent with this helmet but I guess they weren't. Anyway sorry to necro this thread but how is the helmet comming?

Coot

Coot said:
Crunch,

I finally finished my first pep of this helmet that I scaled in the overall scale of 295. I think I remember you said that you scaled yours at 320? Anyway my helmet came out really big for me. I wonder if I used the a different pep file from what you used...anyway Im going to try to make the helmet again this time in 265 scale instead. I thought my calculations would of been more consistent with this helmet but I guess they weren't. Anyway sorry to necro this thread but how is the helmet comming?

Coot

Hmm, sorry to hear that. Did you mean 295 as in height or the scale number? Keep in mind I didn't use conventional means of scaling for my helm and there were some size issues as well.

As for the helmet, I'm pretty satisfied with it now, but I think I will add some details on the back (the line-y thingamabobs) and my friends really want to see me put in some LED's.

Thought I updated this already, guess I posted during the migration.

My progress now:

Changed and pepped the orig Mark V shoulders (from Halo CE) I feel more comfortable with those.

Finished pepping both forearms, legs and thighs, one handplate.

Pepped one MarkVI codpiece (using my width) but really, the front part looks too fat to me. So I'm just gonna go with the MarkIV codpiece tester I have before and extending the width with a belt or something.

So now, I need to pep:

one Reach Torso(don't know if I'll actually pepped the back of MARK4 or 6 torso)

one more handplate

2 sneakers

I also started on L3X BLU3R1V3R's Sliced Reach Battle Rifle

the pic is old; I got one side's major layers done and working on the other.

Killer Koala said:
It actually looks fine from here, maybe from this angle at least. But it's good to see another paper mache suit! I'm going to start my own paper mache armor soon so I'm excited to see how yours comes out. Looking good so far!

well you can see my head inside so you can tell how big it is

I meant 295 as in the scale number value that is at the bottom when you use the scale feature. The default value is like 199.78 or something. I thought that based on my measurements and what the default scale size looked like, I thought 295 would be perfect, but it seems a little big. So i think going from 295 scale to 265 scale is around 1.5 inches smaller which is what I need. The rifle is looking good, are you going to completely pep and then use that model to make it with wood or are you gonna fill the pep?

Coot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back