40K Space Marine - Scratch Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLOTHAR

I have wanted to do a Space Marine build for a long time now. However I am just not a pepakura fan. I tried an ODST using pep as an experiment. I find that I am pretty picky about detail and sizing/mobility. I had too many instances of scaling a piece, building it, and then not liking it. I find that it is too much work to do over and over again. SO, I am reverting to my carving skills. They are fairly mediocre right now, but carving is big in my family so I have good teachers. This past weekend I carved up a rough model Helmet. It still needs work, but as a first attempt I am happy. I am using simple insulation foam. It is easy enough to laminate into larger blocks, and easy to cut/saw/sand. PICS:

Helmet004.jpg

Helmet007.jpg

Helmet010.jpg

Like I said, it still needs work, but the basic shape is there. But I think I may leave it as it is for now. I learned quite a bit while making it, and have made several mistakes. I have laminated some smaller chunks of foam to carve some gauntlets/forearms. I think I will work on a few more basic pieces to improve my technique, then come back to the more detailed pieces.

Comments and criticism are welcome; let me know what you think.

For the Emperor!

Clothar

Well I got a chance to do a bit more work recently. I got a start on the gauntlet, which is pretty basic. I was staring at my helmet the whole time, and couldn't resist giving it some touchups. I rounded it out alot more and sanded it down to smooth it up. I think it is looking pretty nice now, but still unfinished. I am thinking that I might shape it a bit more, then I will need to use clay (or something) to fill in areas where I got a little zealous with the saw. So Pics of those two are below, oh and a shot of a bolter I made a while back from scrap wood.

armor001.jpg

armor002.jpg

armor003.jpg

armor024.jpg

armor026.jpg

armor028.jpg

Let me know what you think!

CLOTHAR

The helmet is coming along nicely, and thats one epic bolter! Btw what Chapter are you basing the Space marine on?

Thanks for the comments! It seems like I might have to go ahead and finish the bolter, one of these days.

Imperator - I have not picked a Chapter just yet. I am really digging the Salamanders lately, as well as the Iron Snakes. Or I might go with the Fists of Fury, an army I built in Dawn of War. But if I cast this I might get carried away and paint up a bunch of them!
Oh yeah, long term plans would be to do a Luna Wolves and/or a Grey Knights mod also.

This is my first scratch build but so far I am enjoying it much more than other methods; but to each their own. I appreciate the support!

Well I had a bit of time to work on the build thid weekend. I was hoping for a bit more, but I will take what I can get. I continued work on the forearm piece. I hollowed it out so that it is wearable now. I also did some smoothing work on it, though I didn't take any pictures of the smoothing.

armor030.jpg

armor031.jpg

As I mentioned before I need to find a good way to fill in mistakes and whatnot. I know pep'rs like their bondo. I found a tube of 'Poly Filler' which is used for filling in drywall, wood, and concrete. So I have started an experiment to see if this will do the trick. I took a spare chunk of foam and carved a divot in it. I spread some of the goop into it and let it dry. I didn't get a chance to work on it anymore, but ideally I will be able to sand it easily, and it will bond nicely to the foam.

armor032.jpg

Well thats my progress for this weekend. If anyone has any good ideas for filler material, let me know.

CLOTHAR

btsm3-1.jpg

A friend helped me with mine... Black Templar... still need to paint details... I think we need to get a couple more Space Marines and have a go at the Spartans!

Great start! I really like that chainsword. Well Astartes are basically Spartans version 2.0. with tens of thousands of years of extra improvements. I think it could be a good show.

Any updates on this build man?

Latest updates are the forearm progress. I usually only get time to work on weekends (which really blows), so progress is a little slow right now. :( But I am hoping for good progress on the weekend. I have several options I can work on. Detailing helmet. Detailing Forearem. Starting a new piece entirely (likely chest, or shoulder). Also need to detemine best way to mold/cast these.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back