Custom Mjolnir based on Reach

Status
Not open for further replies.

red 109

Jr Member
Hi all. I'm new to Halo but I've built several custom Mandalorian armors prior to this. Most of my costumes are armor-based, and I suppose it's just a natural progression to Halo armor. Well, here it goes....

I've decided to build a custom suit based on the Mjolnir. I must state from the very beginning that this was not designed to be "screen accurate" or "canon". It is my idea of how I want my armor to look and feel like. Roughly, it's based on the Halo Reach Spartan armors, with details and parts from other permutations as well. This suit is designed for extended wear, and some liberties will have to be taken to make it as comfy as possible, while maintaining the Halo image.

Character background:
This character is designated Red-109, and he is a black ops operative who is only sent in on very sensitive and controversial missions. A dedicated soldier, he pursues his objective with single-minded determination. He specializes in reconnaissance and long-range assassinations, and would terminate a baby in it's mother's arms without a blink. His absolute lack of compassion in taking lives earned him the nickname Azriel, The Angel of Death. He matches his armor to suit his mission, but is most commonly seen in a customized Mjolnir suit painted flat black with red accents. True to his reconnaissance background, he wears a recon helmet.

Here's the concept art for Red-109:

red-109-c2.jpg

Here's what I have so far:

P7160091.jpg

After a few days, I developed the character back story and altered the designs a bit. Here's what I have now:

P8050102.jpg

Initial sketch

P8050103.jpg

Helmet detail

P8050104.jpg

Latest concept

Here are some pics of what I have so far... didn't have time to do any resin work yet, and I think the Reach helmet and Mk.VI chest is far too big for me!

P8010083.jpg

Reach helmet WIP

P8010086.jpg

Reach helmet detail. I'm proud of this little sucka!

P8010091.jpg

Comparison of the two helmets: Reach and Recon

Snapshot_20100804_4.jpg

Here's me with the Mk.VI chest and Recon helmet

Snapshot_20100804_13.jpg

And me with the Mk.VI and Reach helmet

Snapshot_20100804_1.jpg

This is how it looks like from the side​

I think I will need to reprint the chest piece and the helmet. They need to be scaled down quite a lot to fit my small frame. This armor will be designed to fit me perfectly, so there will be no wiggle room. The helmet may be a bit oversized in order to fit some electronics that I have in mind, and also a cooling system. I think I am more comfortable with the Reach armor rather than the Mk.VI, plus the Reach helmet offers better visibility compared to the Recon. I may just glass both so that I can customise my suit.
We'll see how it goes. *;D

And in case you're wondering why my Spartan has a cape and a kama, here's the back story: http://www.facebook.com/getalgratua?v=app_2347471856#!/note.php?note_id=428018118016&id=712752164&ref=mf

Very nice work so far, and welcome to the 405th!

And very nice concept and marker work, what brand do you use? :D

Really looking forward to seeing how this turns out, you have a seriously awesome plan and it looks like you're making good progress, even if you do have to reprint some pieces.

Thanks, guys! The initial peps appeared to be far too big for me. I've rescaled the peps and reprinted them. Hope the new ones fit better. I may retail the bobble head Reach helmet, though. I need a lot of space inside the helmet if I am to fit in everything that I plan to.

@Flyerfye: Thanks for the welcome. I used Kurecolor markers :)

@landotheninja: Thanks! I'm slowly getting the hang of pepping... ;)

@Spartan 127: I hope the final product will be as realistic as I intended it to be!

BTW, I'm making a bit of a detour... The new pepped armor is actually Carter-259. I intend to make this my "canon" suit, and build Azriel after I have achieved this. Carter will be a test bed for Azriel, so that I don't make stupid mistakes on my "masterpiece". ;)

the concept sketches are lookin pretty awesome, really hope it works out the wayyou want it to, either way the helm is sure to look sweet

Glad to see you are taking your own spin on this! Keep up the good work and follow through. keep us posted on your progress!

Yes! Can't wait. I love what your doing with this concept!
Your pepping looks exellent! Keep it up.

Cheers!

Thanks for your support, guys!

My dad just got out of hospital yesterday and is still weak. It's gonna take some time off of my armor building. Nonetheless, I have made progress. I have completed pepping the Carter chest and right shoulder, and almost halfway on the helmet. Hopefully I can get the whole suit pepped in a couple of weeks.

Sorry for the lack of pics. Will post some in the next update. :)

As I have promised, here are some WIPs... I found out that the pieces are rather small, but I guess they'll fit my frame better. I have also realized that I printed out Noble 6's helmet instead of Carter's... Sheesh... Anyway, I have no time to do another one before the launch of Reach. I'll just make do with what I have and make another one later.

P8300001.jpg

P8300004.jpg

P8300012.jpg

P8300013.jpg

P8300006.jpg

And here's a test fitting of what I have so far...

Snapshot_20100830_9.jpg

Snapshot_20100830_10.jpg

Whatcha think?

Its is looking great so far man. I love your concept are and the back story of the character. What pep files did you use? The helmet size looks pretty good. Though it might be a little tight for all the hardware you want to put in it.

like i said in ur email and i will say it again ..

OMG !!! HOLY FISH CAKE !! *nosebleed* .... *dies from seeing to much awesomeness*

Thanks, guys!

Kirrou: Most of it was unfolded by Brandon McClain, the thighs are SUSJSpartan's (unfolded by Ral Partha), forearm add-on by Rhinoc (unfolded by HaloGoddess), boots by Zero2o2, handplates will be Ruze789 and abs by Jason02. I think that covers it... The latest pics are for my Carter, Azriel will be using a different helmet (probably the "bobblehead" Noble 6 I made earlier) that should be able to fit in all the hardware.

AceNat: Your Kat's looking good too!

Brandon: Glad you approve!

Gixxer: You got me into this, bro!

These are what I currently have:

1. Helmet
2. Chest armor
3. Pelvis armor
4. Right shoulder, bicep and forearm
5. Left bicep, forearm and forearm add-on
6. Right thigh
7. Right and left boot plates

I just need to pep the left leg, right shin + knee, abs and handplates. I wanted to do the resin today, but it was raining all day and I’m stuck with pepping Carter’s left shoulder. I also made a DMR, but it turned out to be a DIMUNITIVE Marksman Rifle! I plan to make one manually out of polystyrene foam, paper tape and board. Anyway, here are the pics!
I hope to be able to complete my Carter before the release of Reach. A local gamers store wants to do a midnight release and I intend to be there!

Here are some pics:

P9060005.jpg

Right arm

P9060004.jpg

Left arm

P9060006.jpg

Pelvis

P9060003.jpg

Right thigh

P9060001.jpg

Boots

P9060002.jpg