"Help!" for: Fiberglassing, Resin, & Bondo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Iv'e never used aqua resin either. I just use the standard resin and fibreglass matt that I get at my local bunnings hardware store. Although I am trialling something I found in a local autoparts store. It's car body filler in an aerosol can. You spray it on like paint. Not very structural but it fills in those troublesome little patches you dont seem to find until you prime the piece then sand it back. The filler takes care of those little buggers.

hey guys so im just getting into the prop making world and have just finished peping my recon helm from H3. ive been reading that its best to put a layer of resin on the outside before fiberglassing the inside. is this correct? and then after that step is done do i keep adding layers of resin on or do i switch to bondo? also should the first layer be a thin layer so when the resin cures it doesnt warp the paper? appreciate the help thanks

hey guys so im just getting into the prop making world and have just finished peping my recon helm from H3. ive been reading that its best to put a layer of resin on the outside before fiberglassing the inside. is this correct? and then after that step is done do i keep adding layers of resin on or do i switch to bondo? also should the first layer be a thin layer so when the resin cures it doesnt warp the paper? appreciate the help thanks
The idea is that the thin layer of resin on the outside will stiffen it enough that you can then slap it on the inside ( with your matting ) Once the inside dries you can then bondo the outside. Struts supports and pepping with the visor intact will help stop warping, but the amount by which it WILL warp is a number of things, how thick your resin is how much you put on in one place, If you've got large open faces etc etc. Small warps are okay, as you can use the bondo stage to correct any errors. It's very much a trial and error thing to find what works for you. even the paper density is a factor as it determines how quickly the paper will soak the resin up.
But basically : Outside - thin resin
Inside - Fiberglass + resin - strengthen with bondo/rondo
Outside - Bondo - sand and detail.
There are other ways of doing it but for starting out, try that first.

Hey 405th, a noob here. I've began to resin my MK VI helmet by ROBOGENESIS, and I've done something everyone seems to do on their first time, no matter how many times they are warned. I accidentally used a thick coat of resin on the crown of the helmet. Almost everyone says use a thin coat, so now I'm kind of worried. What negative effects will there be on my model? Or is this just a conservation tip? Thanks!

Hey 405th, a noob here. I've began to resin my MK VI helmet by ROBOGENESIS, and I've done something everyone seems to do on their first time, no matter how many times they are warned. I accidentally used a thick coat of resin on the crown of the helmet. Almost everyone says use a thin coat, so now I'm kind of worried. What negative effects will there be on my model? Or is this just a conservation tip? Thanks!
It may warp it slightly, but since it's only in one place it might not do much, if any damage... It should be fixable if it does.

hi i'm from the philippines... may i ask what fiberglass mat/cloth, resin and hardener do i need??

we got i supplier here : http://www.polymerprod.com/polyester-vinylester-and-epoxy-resins.php but i don't know what to buy...

i'll be fiberglassing my ironman and loki helm

another thing, how would you fiberglass the inside of loki's horn?
West System Epoxy
A versatile, 2 part, marine-grade epoxy that bonds and coats fiberglass, wood, metal, fabrics and other composite materials to provide superior strength and moisture resistance.
Probably the most versatile stuff to use. There is a technique call Rondo that you might want to look into for the points of the horns

West System Epoxy
A versatile, 2 part, marine-grade epoxy that bonds and coats fiberglass, wood, metal, fabrics and other composite materials to provide superior strength and moisture resistance.
Probably the most versatile stuff to use. There is a technique call Rondo that you might want to look into for the points of the horns
yah i read about rondo.. but i can't do it on whole helm like for ironman because of it's weight... so probly i'll go rondo for the horn..

now the problem will be what right materials for fiberglassing (http://www.polymerprod.com/polyester-vinylester-and-epoxy-resins.php)

yah i read about rondo.. but i can't do it on whole helm like for ironman because of it's weight... so probly i'll go rondo for the horn..

now the problem will be what right materials for fiberglassing (http://www.polymerprod.com/polyester-vinylester-and-epoxy-resins.php)
31-005 General Purpose- Rigid( because it goes hard) Orthophthalic ( chemically combined, Med. Reactive(means it'll set or cure in a medium amount of time) Common sense really. The two below that one would also be suitable, but I wouldn't try using fast set resin for your first go. Remember a LIGHT coat on the outside before then using Fibreglass mat as well as resin on the inside. And yes you can use rondo for the whole thing but it makes it very heavy and brittle. One drop and there'll be a great dirty hole in it.
There are many other ways of doing things but for now Resin and 450gm matting

31-005 General Purpose- Rigid( because it goes hard) Orthophthalic ( chemically combined, Med. Reactive(means it'll set or cure in a medium amount of time) Common sense really. The two below that one would also be suitable, but I wouldn't try using fast set resin for your first go. Remember a LIGHT coat on the outside before then using Fibreglass mat as well as resin on the inside. And yes you can use rondo for the whole thing but it makes it very heavy and brittle. One drop and there'll be a great dirty hole in it.
There are many other ways of doing things but for now Resin and 450gm matting

31-005 General Purpose- Rigid Orthophthalic, Med. Reactive : do this resin needs a hardener?

edit:

i just called a branch, they don't have the 31-005... but they have the 31-006 General Purpose- Rigid Orthophthalic, Standard gel which cost 139php (1 liter, around $3 converted)...

31-005 General Purpose- Rigid Orthophthalic, Med. Reactive : do this resin needs a hardener?

edit:

i just called a branch, they don't have the 31-005... but they have the 31-006 General Purpose- Rigid Orthophthalic, Standard gel which cost 139php (1 liter, around $3 converted)...
As that's a gel. And I've not used Gel before I would ask them if there are any differing mixing instructions. ( Coz it's a two part mix) All resin needs a hardener unless specifically stated that it doesn't, which isn't many. (that's that two part bit, sometimes called catalyst or activator)
$3 is roughly £1.80 which is crazy cheap for a litre.
You'll also need the CHOPPED STRAND MAT for the insides. You don't have to use "BONDO" brand products either, I use a p38 easy sand automotive body filler that has fibreglass in it. works for nearly everything i do. And then I just use the same brand p40 bodyfiller.

What do you mean by the visor intact? I peped the hd recon helm I forget by who but it has the weird eye piece on the inside is that what you are referring too?

Does anyone know where I could get bondo in Finland or in any nordic countries, or the equivalent for it? I don't need it right away, but if anyone could give me even a little push into the right direction I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Does anyone know where I could get bondo in Finland or in any nordic countries, or the equivalent for it? I don't need it right away, but if anyone could give me even a little push into the right direction I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
Automotive body filler Is pretty much the same stuff "Bondo" is the brand name. I use P38 and P40 Fibreglass bodyfiller And it does the job wonderfully.

Hey 405th! I've just finished putting resin on the outside of my MK VI helmet by ROBOGENESIS, but before I move on to the inside, I have a question. Now that the outside is resined, is it safe to resin the entire interior in one go? Also, how many coats of resin go on before the rondo stage? One out and two in? I haven't seem much to how much resin goes on before the rondo. Thanks!

Hey 405th! I've just finished putting resin on the outside of my MK VI helmet by ROBOGENESIS, but before I move on to the inside, I have a question. Now that the outside is resined, is it safe to resin the entire interior in one go? Also, how many coats of resin go on before the rondo stage? One out and two in? I haven't seem much to how much resin goes on before the rondo. Thanks!

I would actually suggest two coats of resin on the outside before you harden the helmet. This will ensure that it will not warp during the hardening process. Applying resin on the inside before you rondo is not really necessary, since rondo fills in all the tiny crevices anyway, resining before hand is an extra step (and expense) you don't need. Also, you can apply the rondo to the entire inside of your helmet in one go, but you may want to add in a few smaller batches afterward to get to spots that are thinner than others. Another thing some people do (myself included) is add a layer of fiberglass over the rondo, further strengthening the helmet, but that's up to you. Rondo on its own can be brittle if too thin, and heavy if too thick, so, a thin layer of rondo followed by a layer of fiberglass cloth is the best of both worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back