ATTENTION NEW (and existing) MEMBERS! READ THIS NOW PLEASE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

23Magnum

Some may remember I posted a poll about a strategy for revamping this section of the forums to try and stem the tide of overwhelming question threads. Well I'm going to put that system in place while the time is right(ie - a lot of new members signing up from D*Con AND Halo Reach's release). Below is a reminder of that system and how it SHOULD work.

What many of the noobs are looking for when posting in this section is either attention or help. The later of course is the more frequently an issue when members make "you're a dummy. now read" posts. I'm paraphrasing of course, but you get the general idea. These types of responds often demotivate newcomers to the point of giving up. This is not good. So hopefully, these new help threads will keep everyone's egos in check and provide a safe place to ask questions and get them answered as soon as possible.

These will all be posted in the Noob Forum replacing the Q&A team and similar threads as stickies:

Actual thread names-
[Help!]: Forum Usage
[Help!]: Papercraft or Pepakura
[Help!]: Fiberglass & Bondo
[Help!]: Molding
[Help!]: Casting
[Help!]: Painting
[Help!]: Electronics
[Help!]: Misc

These threads will have an initial post noting and linking to several helpful tutorials. Questions for these topics can be posted in their respective topic as well with an FAQ section of sorts in the second post being reserved prior to opening the thread.

The linked Tutorials that will be posted in these threads will also be renamed slightly. The tag of [Tutorial] will be added to each one's title as we round them up. Only threads with this tag will be linked in the [Help!] threads. For someone who wants to create a tutorial, they need to submit it to a mod/staff member to make sure the topic isn't already addressed in another existing tutorial (Addition: and a sense of readability and understanding of the subject topic has been established). The tag will make these threads official tutorials of this site as long as they fit and are approved by one or more staff members. This should keep plagiarism to a minimum. If someone has an improvement to an existing tutorial, they'll need to submit it to the tutorial owner.

I figured if we categorized the questions in different threads it would be easier for users to both ask and answer questions more effectively. It will also categorize tutorials at the same time. This probably isn't an original idea, but this is how I propose we put it into action.

This is the basic idea for this part. Let me know if you have any alterations or suggestions to improve upon this idea.

This will be a trial run during which NO INDIVIDUAL QUESTION THREADS WILL BE ALLOWED(they will be locked/deleted/or merged with the proper question thread). All general questions should be directed to the appropriate thread. All project specific questions should be posted in YOUR OWN project progress threads.

In addition to those threads, noobs please remember to Introduce Yourself and Watch This!

If you have questions or suggestions about this new system, please ask/submit them here in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is goings to help so much. So just a quick question. How and who do we submit tutorials to?

You can actually submit a link to the tutorial via PM (which now work, YAY!) to any staff member. The more active ones lately seem to be either Ruze, Rundown, or myself. You may also post a link to said tutorial in the appropriate "Help!" thread to be reviewed at a later time since PMs may not be the most realiable way just yet.

Wow i love this idea.

It's great to see someone working on a fix to the flood of repetitive questions.

I have a few questions and maybe a suggestion or two if I may.

Why is it that these forums aren't set up like the original in that Noobs can still post new threads in just about every part of the forum? Exception being the elite section of course. Personally I don't think I have anything to add to the 3d modeling section by way of a new post, or many of the other sections. Yet anyway :p

Is it not possible to restrict new members to only posting in the help sections? Yeah i know it sucks, and it might drive some people away, but I think i would have put up with a lock on posting a new thread until access was given, especially if I found most of my answers in a consolidated location.

Still being considered a nub, I understand the weight of my opinion, but I have completed a project and I feel like what I learned here helped me do it. I also searched for a while before I found this site, and in my opinion.... It's the best at Q&A, members acknowledging newbies, and members sharing insight.

Well, I imagine the noobs haven't been restricted due to some forums settings still not being tended to, but I'm sure it will be addressed in time. In the mean time, we ask everyone to direct new members to this section to 'get started'.

With so many people here, it's hard to view everyone's opinion's and concerns. Those you may have are always welcome to be heard by the staff here. Either way, thank you for insights into this endeavor.

@23Magnum:
This has clarified things alot better for me. I was able to find a tutorial I had been trying find for days and I only found it in a few minutes thanks to you. This new set up rocks.

as long as we keep the OP as a running edited faq, and keep the threads clean. deleting repeat questions, deleting once answered
- have the guy who answers it quote the original question. Now you dont need the original question post!

Noobs will not fish through 120 pages to get an answer..

hey when do u get upgraded to veteran. i have a been with 405th for like 6months and i havent been upgraded yet. so i was just wandern when i would get upgraded.

This will be a trial run during which NO INDIVIDUAL QUESTION THREADS WILL BE ALLOWED(they will be locked/deleted/or merged with the proper question thread). All general questions should be directed to the appropriate thread. All project specific questions should be posted in YOUR OWN project progress threads.

In addition to those threads, noobs please remember to Introduce Yourself and Watch This!

If you have questions or suggestions about this new system, please ask/submit them here in this thread.

Just bumping this back up to the top of the stickies since it's being ignored by so many posters.
Please post all questions in the appropriate HELP thread.

All questions threads are going to be locked or merged starting ASAP.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a NOOB, I'm have a hard time finding finished build pic's. Just wondering if you could add that as one of the treads. Just finished pic's so we can see the best that the 405 has to offer and/or what we need to get into the different teams. Thank you in advance.

Would it be possible to open the classified threads up to noobs? I'm sure some are like me, they love the universe but don't have anywhere they can actually pursue the hobby. I would love to make my own suit, but since I live in an apartment, it just isn't going to happen without me doing things that the manager would object to. However, I do have some extra money from time to time, and, as a distant second preference, would like to buy a suit, piece by piece.

For what its worth, I would like to second the above post. I too would like to see a classifieds section. I understand the reluctance of some builders to possibly sell their hard work to people who have only negative intentions. However, it would be at the decision of the seller to decide with who they deal with.

I would love to make my own suit, but since I live in an apartment, it just isn't going to happen without me doing things that the manager would object to.

This is a bit off-topic here, so I'm not going into great detail, but there are really good product alternatives that are less toxic (like epoxy: High health risk, but not so much by breathing) or even non-toxic (e.g. Aqua Resin) and that you can use inside without bothering anybody. The downside is that they're all more expensive than polyester resin, but I guess you can still save some money compared to buying a finished suit.

Good suggestions. I'll look into them. Anyway, it's less the smells than it is the dust and general mess, and God help me, paint in the carpets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back