My Iron Man/War Machine WIP: My learning experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

silentd3at4

Jr Member
ORIGINAL POST:

Well I know I used the wrong paper and adhesive for my first ever helm (tape and regular copier paper) But the resin and the tape are holding up. Im putting 2-3 layers of resin on the outer shell before the inside (where most the tape is) in hopes that the shape will not fall apart. On my first layer of resin, and first attempt ever using resin I realize maybe im putting too much hardener (or going to slow) it is jellying up really quickly. But I have high hopes and I think this helmet will turn out to be a horrible helmet but a good first try ^_^ and at worst a costume piece for halloween or a nice piece of work to keep around ^_-

(WILL BE UPDATING THE TOP THREAD SO IT IS EASIER FOR USERS TO GO THROUGH THIS THREAD TO SEE UPDATES TO MY PROJECT AS WELL AS QUICK ACCESS TO PICTURES BECAUSE TO BE HONEST THATS ALL SOME CARE ABOUT!!! THANKS TO ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN MY PROJECT AND THE SUPPORTIVE COMMENTS AND MESSAGES!!!)

UPDATES:
(EDITS COMING SOON!!!)
LINKS TO THREADS WITH PICS:
(EDITS COMING SOON!!!)

Im a lil further than this but here is my progress You can see it warped a lil on right side of helmet and the helmet fits very tight which i know is a problem in future for padding BUT im gonna bondo it and everything so I learn how to bondo and fiberglass etc and just try to figure out all my mistakes before scrapping and starting over.

PART951286251136983.jpg

IMG_20101005_235739.jpg

Did you use 110lb cardstock? The warping can be fixed with bondo/sanding. However, if the helmet is tight bondo may not help. If it is crooked (which seems to be), you may need to start all over again.

The resin you put on seems a bit thick. You may want to lightly cover it in several layers. That should help.

O yea it's crooked this project will be a fancy ash tray at best at the end lol. Read above its copier paper and tape lol and my first ever attempt at pep an fiberglass. I'm just going to finish it because ill learn all the techniques and do better next time

Well I have started the chest piece with 110 # card stock and glue/stick glue/hot glue combo and its already looking better shape wise versus the helmet. Its taking me alot longer than my helmet did to pep so hopefully thats a good thing ill get pics up soon. Been working on it while I wait for resin and fiberglass to dry in between layers but prolly wont start resining the chest piece till I get the chest and back piece completely done to make sure they line up better. Card stock is cheaper than resin ^_-

Here are the pics of my chest piece just finished alot better shape than my helmet rofl. Not the best but im proud for it being my 2nd ever pepped piece ^_^

IMG_20101012_203931.jpg

IMG_20101012_203925.jpg

IMG_20101012_203919.jpg

The chest looks like it came out ALOT better than the helmet. This is definitely a hobby were practice pays off. Much better job this time around. Though, you realize that is war machine's chest and not Iron Man's chest, right? Keep at it! Looking forward to watching you progress.

Thanks carlino. Ill post my progress on back piece now I'm using hot glue and going alot faster

Its looking great. Its just a suggestion but on like a small piece try using elmers glue. There is 0 warpage when working with 110lb card stock and you don't risk burning the crap out of your fingers lol.

Hey guys here are the pics that i promised before the weekend showing my progress on the back piece. I have the left side of it to do and will post that when it is done. Also I reorganized my photobucket album and the forums edit post to update the links doesnt seem to work so instead of reposting all pictures in one post I will show the pics pertinent to this post as well as a link to my photobucket. Enjoy!

EDIT: Fixed PIC links in earlier posts but still enjoy my photobucket album ^_^

IMG_20101014_022307.jpg

IMG_20101014_022257.jpg

IMG_20101014_022250.jpg

IMG_20101019_003824.jpg

My Photobucket WarMachine Album

Nice war machine chest and back bro, clean pep!
I think I spent around 4 months just getting everyting
correct with the fitting on my war machine build and the
deciding factor was the chest piece. For me it never fit, and I think
I pepped and glassed three chest and backs, none of which fit so I
gave up on that build...
I wish you the best of luck, and would love to see this finished! Do
what I couldnt!!!!!

arc reactor question

I am going to connect the back and front chest together before resin but was curious if I should pep the arc reactor as well before I start the resin. Note will be installing led of course dunno if this matters

War Machine: Back and Chest - Resin Started Tonight!!!

Well guys I was so nervous about starting to resin the chest and back after how horrible my helmet turned out (globs etc) I think I got a better resin/hardener mix and I took more time resining this time and I think its gonna turn out pretty solid. Here are some pictures, and another great thanks to the many helpful members of the 405th community for your help/tips/advice for which this would not be possible!!! Enjoy!!!

IMG_20101019_235946.jpg

IMG_20101019_235959.jpg

IMG_20101020_202345.jpg

IMG_20101020_202403.jpg

IMG_20101020_202352.jpg

IMG_20101020_202419.jpg

O I completely agree about Elmer's but those tiny tabs and intricate foldts are a pain waiting to set

I use what is called Tacky Glue. You can get it at Wal Mart in the craft section. It is not as fast as hot glue but the longest I have to hold a piece to set is maybe 20 seconds, at most. It is much faster than Elmers, but it much more forgiving than hot glue, as you still have time to get the tabs in place and lined up before it sets.

The resin is about 80% dry but it feels flimsy I know people said i used to much resin on outside of my helmet but would 2 coats of resin on outside of chest piece and then 1 coat + fiberglass + 1coat on inside be too much still? Or is 1 coat on the outside really all you need on pepped pieces?

SIDE NOTE: Started pepping shoulder pieces tonight while chest and back dry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back