My Iron Man/War Machine WIP: My learning experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey mike what I have to do is rotate the pieces put em on angles and what not to fit them on one page. Other times there is no way around splitting the piece (depending on the size) you will have to to separate the pieces onto separate pages and then print them. but DONT just have them overlay onto another page. There is a button with a zipper in the upper left corner. Click this then the piece to "slice" the piece and it will create tabs on the 2 halves of the piece and of course move accordingly to fit both halves on same page or separate pages.

EDIT: Dont feel like your hijacking. Your questions help me, or can help others and I want this to be a comprehensive iron man help as well as my wip thread. So ask away!

Thx, I finally got some war machine files and started messing with them yesterday. I got the War Machine helmet tester file from Dubean's movie accurate thread. I decided to go ahead and scale it up, printed it and spent about 2 hours cutting it out last night. From what I've noticed so far it seems that some folds are so tiny that they aren't really worth the time. I didn't know about the "Join Adjacent Edges" until I checked today, or I would have done that first. I guess in the end it's just a tester to check sizing issues before doing the HD helmet, so no sense getting crazy with accuracy.

I was originally going to settle for doing some halo peping but then I found this iron man stuff and I got really excited! I will probably do the Hayabusa build for Halo though, that stuff def looks awesome.

About the bondo thing, I have no idea yet because I see people who say just put some on where you will need to add detail, and some who say schmear it from left to right. In my case, I don't think I will cover the entire peice with bondo, just where I will need to add detail, so I'll still add 3 layers or so of resin. May want to do that either way though because the stronger the base peice is, the more resistant to twisting it is, so the less likely the bondo top layer will crack or damage. Thats just a pure guess though.

Thx, I finally got some war machine files and started messing with them yesterday. I got the War Machine helmet tester file from Dubean's movie accurate thread. I decided to go ahead and scale it up, printed it and spent about 2 hours cutting it out last night. From what I've noticed so far it seems that some folds are so tiny that they aren't really worth the time. I didn't know about the "Join Adjacent Edges" until I checked today, or I would have done that first. I guess in the end it's just a tester to check sizing issues before doing the HD helmet, so no sense getting crazy with accuracy.

I was originally going to settle for doing some halo peping but then I found this iron man stuff and I got really excited! I will probably do the Hayabusa build for Halo though, that stuff def looks awesome.

About the bondo thing, I have no idea yet because I see people who say just put some on where you will need to add detail, and some who say schmear it from left to right. In my case, I don't think I will cover the entire peice with bondo, just where I will need to add detail, so I'll still add 3 layers or so of resin. May want to do that either way though because the stronger the base peice is, the more resistant to twisting it is, so the less likely the bondo top layer will crack or damage. Thats just a pure guess though.

Cool I was gonna suggest you doing another Iron Man / War Machine piece while I work on another. Im going to do the bicep next (versus doing the other shoulder) if you are still up for the iron man / war machine could use the help learning how to measure. I will share my findings for the bicep next please keep me updated on the helm and how you measured for it ^_^.

Shoulder Progress Pictures

Here are some pics on the War Machine shoulder.

When I glued the piece to top the shoulder It got twisted just a little bit wondering if there is a good way to fix this let me know!!!
IMG_20101026_223956.jpg

IMG_20101026_224024.jpg

IMG_20101026_224015.jpg

Going to fiberglass upper plate, then resin the shoulder and glue the plate onto the shoulder and then fiberglass the inside of the shoulder.
IMG_20101026_224102.jpg

Just finished cutting out all the pieces for my bicep. Fingers Crossed it will pep and fit right. Tomorrow I will finish fiberglassing my chest piece, and perhaps starts resining the shoulder piece but with lack of work space I might have to wait till I get chest and back are complete

Nice work thus far. Are you using "Join Adjacent Edges" at all on your printouts? As per the helmet, I have a rather large head IMO and also in the opinion of hat makers everywhere, so I scaled my size tester helmet to 1.27 and then spent about 3 hours last night folding it up. I think spending that much time on a size tester was a waste, but its the very first thing I pepped at all, so gave me a little experience.

Anyways, because I just checked I'll post my measurements on head.
24'' Measuring from right above ear
26'' From line where neck and lower jaw meet, up around middle of top of head, going in front of the ears)
22'' From chin cleft, between the eyes, over the top of the head, to the "nugget" of bone in the back of my head

None of those probably make sense, so when I figure out a finished helmet I'll post my measurements again, along with scale used, and also a diagram of how I measure head :). If I had a password for pepakura I could export the files and measure them in 3dsMax.

Also, yeah, sounds like a good idea working on different things. Between my 60 hours a week at work, and prego wife, and rowdy child I don't get much time to work on this stuff. Actually aside from that I do a lot of exercise, side jobs, soccer games, hiking, etc. so I'll be lucky to get this done by next halloween :).

Noticed in the "Sizing" thread you asked about head tester. I am referring to the size tester, it's the low def/detail model someone made for checking proper scaling on the helmet. It's only on that peice though.

Nice work thus far. Are you using "Join Adjacent Edges" at all on your printouts? As per the helmet, I have a rather large head IMO and also in the opinion of hat makers everywhere, so I scaled my size tester helmet to 1.27 and then spent about 3 hours last night folding it up. I think spending that much time on a size tester was a waste, but its the very first thing I pepped at all, so gave me a little experience.

Anyways, because I just checked I'll post my measurements on head.
24'' Measuring from right above ear
26'' From line where neck and lower jaw meet, up around middle of top of head, going in front of the ears)
22'' From chin cleft, between the eyes, over the top of the head, to the "nugget" of bone in the back of my head

None of those probably make sense, so when I figure out a finished helmet I'll post my measurements again, along with scale used, and also a diagram of how I measure head :). If I had a password for pepakura I could export the files and measure them in 3dsMax.

Also, yeah, sounds like a good idea working on different things. Between my 60 hours a week at work, and prego wife, and rowdy child I don't get much time to work on this stuff. Actually aside from that I do a lot of exercise, side jobs, soccer games, hiking, etc. so I'll be lucky to get this done by next halloween :).

Noticed in the "Sizing" thread you asked about head tester. I am referring to the size tester, it's the low def/detail model someone made for checking proper scaling on the helmet. It's only on that peice though.

Understood Mike let me know what you want to work on and Ill let you know what im gonna work on next.
I will attempt forearm next. *fingers crossed*

Finished BICEP piece a little tight when I flex at the elbowI might repep when I do the right arm and see if it makes a BIG difference otherwise done. Here are my pics!

IMG_20101101_234848.jpg

IMG_20101101_234848.jpg

IMG_20101101_234832.jpg

IMG_20101101_234832.jpg

Cheers!

IMG_20101101_234848.jpg

IMG_20101101_234832.jpg

Looking good!

Well, we are working on different models which are put into 3d differently so if we both applied the same scale factor to differently modeled peices we will wind up with differently sized peices. I would definately not just use whatever scale works for me. Well, heres a test, open up your helmet file and go to Change Scale > Scale Factor. Input 1.0 and don't press enter or ok. Whats your values set at? With this setting my values are:
Height 281
Width 176
Depth 255

These probably won't match up to yours. If they do not match up within single digit MM's, try entering 281 for height, then tell me what it changes all your values too.

Long story short our peices may not match up when we input different scale factors, but if we change a certain dimension it may get us a lot closer even if using different models.

My next peices are probably going to be calve, then quad. I'm going to work from the bottom up. I currently have 2/21 sheets cut out. Family man doesn't leave much time for hobbies :). I'm also pretty active though, but can't convince myself to stop doing anything I currently do.

pep's look good. You planning to build the mini gun too?

If i find the pep perhaps. But atm Im just workin on getting the suite built then worry bout all the bells and whistles like LEDs lights, motorized face plate, etc.. Im still very much so a novice and working on getting my skills to that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back