Helmet Concepts: GUNGNIR and Pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trooper114

I have 2 concepts, one for th GUNGNIR and the Pilot helmet's infamous huanted visor. Be advised, i have not tried this yet, thats why they are concepts. I am hoping to do these in the near future but for now i want to know your opinions on this and if you want to try them out, feel free to post pics of either WIP or finished products. Both of these helmets have been modeled and unfolded and can be found in the threads linked below, special thanks to xhimpei and to jtm1997 for making these and to thier unfolders for making them pepable.

GUNGNIR:
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/29538-3D-Gungnir-lid

Pilot:
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/30096-Jtm1997-s-3d-halo-reach-pilot-s-helmet

First Concept: GUNGNIR

I have read alot of posts and threads about using pin hole cams and displays for the Gungnir. Its good would be awsome but i think i might have a less technical aproach and there are two ways to go about doing this.

The first step is universal for both and this process is much like what you do for a EVA helmet.

Just pep the helmet and harden it.

Second Step
This is where the differences comes in.

A) Cut out the entire sction of the face plate. Take that piece and Vaccum form it. You can make a vaccum former there are plenty how to's out there some easyier then others. The trick here is to paint, tint, etc, the same color as the rest of the helmet and just attach it.

F8EP9AFGHFJYBUN.jpg

B) If your like me and don't have a vaccum former this may be abit easier. Some hobby shops sell these sheets of plastic about the size of printer paper they look like this.

FW2499LGFMC8AZ2.jpg

They come in different colors and as you see the are very transparent, but when you layer these it becomes tinted and are 3 bucks a sheet.

Cut the top of the helmet off and replace it with thes sheets, again the trick is making it the same color of the helmet.

FXSROI7GHFJYBUO.jpg

Second Concept: The Pilots Haunted Visor :cool

F0KO6J1GHFJYC2B.jpg

Go through the basic steps of making a helmt pep it and harden it, and for this you need a vaccum former to make the visor, its like forming a ODST visor. If you want Tint it black or just keep it see through but the main thing here if is , before putting on th helmet put on a mask like this then put on the helmet. Maybe you can find or even make a better skull mask, its up to you.

211465983.jpg

Something else you can do is put a light in the helmet to make it look creepier at night, especially with the visor tinted black but not to dark, kind like Sean Bradley's helmet in his avatar. (Hope you don't mind me using your avatar as a example, if you do let me know and i will edit it out.)

F6VHNFHGHFJYBYM.gif

Hope this helps any one, let me know what you all think.

Attachments

• F8EP9AFGHFJYBUN.jpg
    F8EP9AFGHFJYBUN.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 756
  • FW2499LGFMC8AZ2.jpg
    FW2499LGFMC8AZ2.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 275
  • FXSROI7GHFJYBUO.jpg
    FXSROI7GHFJYBUO.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 369
  • F0KO6J1GHFJYC2B.jpg
    F0KO6J1GHFJYC2B.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 676
  • 211465983.jpg
    211465983.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 258
Pretty cool stuff. I was personally planning on using my iPod camera and mounting that inside the GUNGNIR with the camera peeping out of that little hole, lol.

114: That Gungnir looks pretty good even for a concept. Pilot helm just looks like a more opened up version of the Operator Helm vs. the EVA Helm.

Just my opinion.

SithSlayer: Do those camera's have a Time Out feature where it shuts off after a minute or two? Wouldn't that just have created more work for you by have to repeatedly take off the helmet to activate the camera? I'm just curious really.

I was originally thinking of dismantling a webcam with a frog eye lens. That would give the wearer a more 360 degree view like we have withour normal eyesite. This would be expensive of course. .

I like these threads, so many ideas get passed around and disgussed. It's fantastic, from an engineers point of view.

SithSlayer: Do those camera's have a Time Out feature where it shuts off after a minute or two? Wouldn't that just have created more work for you by have to repeatedly take off the helmet to activate the camera? I'm just curious really.
Ill set my iPod to auto-lock: never, the only problems would really be eye strain, battery life, and having your eyes "shifted a few inches forward"

I came up with this, because i don't have money for cameras and i am possibly one of the only youth at my school with out a ipod even though i want to get a i touch and so can be used for other people who are tight on cash and limited tech resources. :) i also don't want to deal with eye strain, i already suffer from tired eye, which is when your vision gets a bit blurry after reading or taking notes for a long time, which is something i do alot, thanks to school. :(

Cirkob: Yea I thought about that after I had typed, felt a little silly, But you get the idea right?

Sithslayer:Ok, I've never owned an Ipod with a camera. I was just going off how my cell and Digital camera work. And if it's battery life that can be a problem, why not use an energizer booster pack.

I suffer from the poor eyesight as well. I start getting teary eyed when I play games or work on my models for too long.
Has anybody given thought to making the Gungnir Hinged? like the Iron man helm. That would probably help on keeping strain off the eyes. Close for pics and to maybe goof off a bit, and open it up to take a break and chillax. Would that be a good Idea?

I was thinkin adding a skull faceplate with tiny mesh eyeholes as a visor, then the transparent second visor. It dosent even need a lower jaw, and some cool perple lights would be okay too. maybe even one of my tiny little smoking thingies.
its basically a redesighn of a smokebomb, but really slow, and notoxic.

Haha, Jester, yeah I do :p
And I know this is gonna sound illegal, but I hacked an account just for fun and to see the armor perms you get later on, so I made an awesome armor, including the Haunted Helmet.
So I started up a game of campaign, and when he was about to pull on the helmet, I saw something strange inside: It IS a skull inside, an entire one, minus the jaw, like a Headhunter skull! It's sick

Cirkob: Yea I thought about that after I had typed, felt a little silly, But you get the idea right?

Sithslayer:Ok, I've never owned an Ipod with a camera. I was just going off how my cell and Digital camera work. And if it's battery life that can be a problem, why not use an energizer booster pack.

I suffer from the poor eyesight as well. I start getting teary eyed when I play games or work on my models for too long.
Has anybody given thought to making the Gungnir Hinged? like the Iron man helm. That would probably help on keeping strain off the eyes. Close for pics and to maybe goof off a bit, and open it up to take a break and chillax. Would that be a good Idea?

A hinge would be a very good idea for a Gungnir helmet, and Toacrabman, your idea for the Haunted visor is good as well as for your smokebomb. I had a idea for a Flaming helmet but was a bit more, pyrotechnical and for experts only, i guess, plus would have been good for a picture or a short video. But smoke can make that strom armor affect Bungie uses.

the smoke bomb could work if you put purple food coloring in the mix. As for the skull part, I dont know-not uncomfortable? just a thought

Came up with a decent Idea I got while reading ToaCobraman's post.

At PartyCity, they have mirrorchrome skull masks, I have one and I was thinking of using it as sadistic pauldron, due to it's size.
IT has mesh eye holes and comes in silver, copper, and Green. They're 10$ here but that was during Halloween.

1: I had an idea to take a Hip flask, and put in a few pieces of dry ice (makesure to insulate the Flask on the outside) and some water.

2: You would mount the flask to the back portion of the helm, maybe get a small fan, about the size of a quarter or half dollar, or smaller if you can find it.

3: Attach 2 lengths of 1/8 inch clear air-line hose, poke some small holes into them, to the fan(like the kind used in some aquarium set-ups). And then attach the fan to the flask.

With water inside, the dry ice will make a smoke. The fan will pull the smoke out of the flask and blow it through the air-lines. Line the hoses in two crevices on top of the helmet and it should give you a pretty neat look. Saw this once with a grim reaper costume. But the designer had the hoses all around his body and a bit bigger of a reservoir. looked pretty cool. Just an Idea I thought I'd throw into the fold.

And top it off with some dim perple led's inside the helmet, facing the skull, and some fine lines on the inside of the visor.
and maybe have the resivore in the chest, and have the hoses go up the neckseal, so theres more space for your head.

EUREKE'!

Forgot to add the part about the LEDs. but yea that could actually work. What do you think Trooper? This is your baby right?

Yes but even then sometimes a father needs help rasing a baby. ;) I love the direction this thread is going. The dry ice would be perfect to create a fog effect and those masks you talked about are seem like they would be the perfect thing! :D puting the resivour in the back is genius, it could allow a larger amount to be stored so a more prolonged effect will result, i was thinking, what about using on of those water "bladder" back packs and put a the fan at the opening to suck up the fog and shoot it out through the tubes, the reason for the bladder, is for comfort, i personally wouldn't like something solid diging into my back, plus it could make it abit easier to move with the rigging in the back plate and maybe help you cool off.

Dry ice with food coloring? much cheaper., nice.
I might even build the bottom of the skull to put in when im not wearin it, so my friends will be all, "how do i get my head in here"
and i can be all, "you dont :D"

Do you think the Camel pack could handle a subzero temp?
I have a pic I want to add but Photo Bucket is being a pain. It's the Skull mask I have. It's copper.
and a small concept drawing of what we all have in mind. Btw any of my ideas for a suit are generally for a bulky Foam suit as my base.
My Chest and Helms are both Pretty big and thats the spese that I'm working with for my concepts for you guys.

Enough about haunted, we got that figured out, now we gotta find out what to do about GUNGNIR. I was thinkin of doin the Vacuform, but for those who cant afford it, use a small telescopic eyepiece, a clear piece for the front, or just make use of the lens on it, and all the pinholes in the front.

Maybe even just use the one eyepiece, you dont have to have perfect visibility, I just have to avoid stepping on people under 6.1, about mah eye level being 6.3 and 6.5 in the suit. People are surprised at how young i am, so i shave to help avoid confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back