Jorge Armor: WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreadnaught

Jr Member
I'm not sure why my last thread got closed out. Perhaps it's my low post count. Anyway, I'm on my way to pepping my first helmet.

I'm using the Jorge MKII helmet by ForgedReclaimer and unfolded by Brandon McClain.

Anyway, I've made some good progress.

I have assembled the rear half of the piece. Warpage is minimal right now, and it looks like most everything is lining up pretty well. The piece is a trial of patience when you have stumpy fingers like I do, but I have found a couple of tricks to help.

First trick: Use a couple of small spots of glue along the length of the piece to hold it in place while you settle it in.

Second trick: Alternate some of the tabs inside and outside the piece. It provides stability while you're glueing the part on...

I'll get some WIP pics up next week, once I get a picture account.

Dread

edit: I finally figured out who did the unfold on the helmet. Gotta put credit where it's due. Thanks, guys!!

Hmm... your last thread was probably closed because you didn't have pics. When you make a WIP, pics are a must. I don't know of this one will get closed, but to be safe, post pics asap.
Also, it's good that your armour is coming along well and its nice you gave tips.

IF you are wondering about the weapon he has it no longer exsist's on the 405th the creator took it off the 405th but goo luck man that's a big suit and yes use photo bucket for WIP thread pics dude

I'm not sure why my last thread got closed out. Perhaps it's my low post count. Anyway, I'm on my way to pepping my first helmet.
No. It's because you started a WIP thread without pics. WIP threads without pics are just a waste of bandwidth, thus it's highly discouraged.

I'll get some WIP pics up next week, once I get a picture account.
I can guarantee you that this thread will not last that long and will be locked. Again. Unless you have the pics ready to go, you should never start a WIP thread.

You last thread probably got closed becuase this is whats know as an indecision thread. Meaning you dont have anything to show or have a real plan of attack. Progress threads should be what you have done thus far and what you plan next as well as telling us any problems you are having. And pictures are a must

EDIT: They all beat me to it, but now you know.

Second trick: Alternate some of the tabs inside and outside the piece. It provides stability while you're glueing the part on...

Its a good idea to keep all the tabs on the inside. Other wise you are going to have to go back through and smooth them all out with bondo later. they dont just disappear sadly the stick out alot and look a little ugly when you paint over them. If you put them inside you will save your self a lot of time later. Either way

Alright... Thanks guys. Yet another detail in the information overload I either missed completely or forgot about totally. I suppose that's what happens when you have the fan-boy bug. I'll take the time to go back through and make sure I get all the stuff read again.

In the meantime, the first three pics...

SANY0184.jpg

SANY0186.jpg

SANY0185.jpg

More to come next week, since I'm off work and should have lots of time to play with this project. As this one is purely for practice, it will be too small to wear properly. I'll be using it as a desk display when I'm done.

Cardstock: Check
Hot Glue: Check
Scissors: Check
Xacto: Check
Bandages... : Yeah, check.

Dread

Attachments

• SANY0184.jpg
    SANY0184.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 209
  • SANY0186.jpg
    SANY0186.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 206
  • SANY0185.jpg
    SANY0185.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 208
I see a fantastic monitor in that last picture. Great choice! :)

More on topic: I see you are using the alternating-flap technique. While this is great to line (properly cut) pieces up the right way quickly and easily, keep in mind that it will result in more work once you start to smoothen the surface. I guess it depends on your preferences whether pepping or sanding is more tedious.

I'm sure it was over looked due to an exorbitant amount of nerdcitment, a symptom of the fan-boy bug

Thanks, ya'll... Ventrue, I used to do a lot of FPS gaming. Wasn't ever any good at it, but it wasn't the fault of the equipment.

As far as the alternating tabs deal goes... I'm willing to deal with the issue of having more to sand down in exchange for the stability it brings to the pep. Besides, I'm pretty sure the rondo will be nice and thick to cover up any other imperfections along the way.

By the way, Doctor Napkin, where in Arkansas are you? I used to live in NW Arkansas and I drill in Fort Smith.

--cfh935: Nerdcitement, huh? I love it. I'm gonna have to use it...

As far as the alternating tabs deal goes... I'm willing to deal with the issue of having more to sand down in exchange for the stability it brings to the pep. Besides, I'm pretty sure the rondo will be nice and thick to cover up any other imperfections along the way.

In that case I'd suggest that you sand off the flaps on the outside before you start to use putty.

May well end up being the easier and smarter way to do things, Ventrue.

Is it sad that my fingers are actually itching to be playing with the pep right now? Doing Christmas at my parents place, which is 8 hours away from my peps. No matter. I got plenty of time this coming week.

Merry Christmas, everyone.

I do. This particular piece is a test to see what I do know, how much I can pick up on the fly, and just how much I need to get some higher level advice for. The stickies cover a lot of information, and no doubt. The problem being, there is so much information that by the time you get to take your first steps, it's pretty overwhelming. I imagine I will be going back to them quite often as the latest steps taken make more of the advice in them make more sense.

Once I'm feeling more confident of my ability to make pieces not only look good, but fit and function well, then absolutely, I will progress to a full suit.

I totally understand. For me, it's not the pepakura that seems overwhelming, or making the pieces fit together properly, for me, it's getting the look correct, basically the end result. My problem is that i can hardly STOP thinking about it. I'm studying engineering, and my clash is more creative than assignment based, so i get a lot of time to think about this.... idk, we all have different things to worry about xD But i totally understand where it is you're coming from. I think Ima keep up with this thread :) keep up the awesome work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back