My ODST Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigsplicer888

I am attempting to make an ODST costume. I am using pepakura since im a beginner. Please give me any tips that will make this easier. Here is the helmet.
5438660767_3c13fbcbd0_m.jpg

Its not quite finished but I have coated the top of it with hot glue to keep it strong for the meanwhile. Ill post more soon.

Just finished a forearm, ill post the picture soon im waiting for the glue to dry coz i attatched some foam inside.Does anyone know where to get an ODST torso that link isnt broken because the one of halo costuming wiki doesnt work. Im thinking of scratch building it.

what type of paper are you using for your pepping? if you are using at least 110lb card stock you shouldn't need to douse your unfinished work with hot glue. Also, when you douse the outside with hot glue you take away from the detail you get from the model, so if anything you should douse the inside if you feel you need to do so. Read the stickies they have a ton of information that helps a lot when it comes to armor creation so check them out! Keep up the good work though!

im using just normal paper

that might be your problem right there. if you can try and buy a ream of at least 110 lb paper and you should be able to leave it overnight without coating the outside with hot glue. If you don't want to do that then i guess you could try and hot glue the inside to keep the detail but i think it might warp like how it has warped a little when you covered the outside with hot glue...=/ i hate to say this but i think the best way around this would be to restart with 110 lb card stock because all your pieces will warp really bad in the hardening process =(

thanks im gonna buy some hot glue tomorrow and coat the inside and then ill think about cardstock for the rest or carboard

if you use cardboard you'll have to scratch build, but if you buy some cardstock you can still print out the pepakura blueprints on the cardstock. and with cardstock you won't have to hot glue your progress anymore to hold it over night it'll keep it's shape for a really long time. it'll also take the resin a lot better without the warping you'd get with regular printer paper

so you are saying that you dont have to glue cardstock????

well you still have to glue the flaps down to put the pieces together but you don't have to coat the outside with glue to reinforce it. cardstock on it's own is strong enough to hold it's shape before hardening and doesn't warp when you resin the piece as long as you start off with thin layered coats eventually thickening each coat until you reach a desired firmness for fibgerglass or rondo whichever you prefer.

Lord have mercy lol. If you used normal paper, I would just save your time and STOP!. Go to staples and buy a 250+ Package of 100lb Stock Card. After that go to Home Depot and get some Fiber Glass Resin and a good Respirator if you don't have one. If I am not mistaken Jo An Fabrics will have Fiber Glass Cloth or you can look at Home Depot for Fiber Glass Mat etc... Make sure you use Hot Glue or some type of glue that will hold real good will piecing your Pepakura together. After you have printed off your Peps then proceed to piece it together.. an ffs please be patient please ^_^. It takes a lot of time, effort, patience and money. This is not a cheap little job, if you want a cheap way well there is no cheap way, other than foam or card board with sharpie drawn on it lol. Save up about $100-$200 and make your self a nice suit of armor. Good luck bro and have fun ^_^.

*NOTE* Rust-Oleum is good spray paint I love it. Krylon is my second pick, but both look really nice as a finish. There are tons of tuts on the site to help mix paints and get good looking armor effect.

P.S. Research a ton before even attempting this, try to make your first experience at pep armor the best as possible

Lord have mercy lol. If you used normal paper, I would just save your time and STOP!. Go to staples and buy a 250+ Package of 100lb Stock Card. After that go to Home Depot and get some Fiber Glass Resin and a good Respirator if you don't have one. If I am not mistaken Jo An Fabrics will have Fiber Glass Cloth or you can look at Home Depot for Fiber Glass Mat etc... Make sure you use Hot Glue or some type of glue that will hold real good will piecing your Pepakura together. After you have printed off your Peps then proceed to piece it together.. an ffs please be patient please ^_^. It takes a lot of time, effort, patience and money. This is not a cheap little job, if you want a cheap way well there is no cheap way, other than foam or card board with sharpie drawn on it lol. Save up about $100-$200 and make your self a nice suit of armor. Good luck bro and have fun ^_^.

*NOTE* Rust-Oleum is good spray paint I love it. Krylon is my second pick, but both look really nice as a finish. There are tons of tuts on the site to help mix paints and get good looking armor effect.

P.S. Research a ton before even attempting this, try to make your first experience at pep armor the best as possible

Very nicely put fr1nge! Couldn't have said it better myself. :)

And btw I think you should just scrap the helmet and start over with cardstock cause if not you're probably gonna have to use an entire can of bondo to get it smooth and detail the helmet. I would just restart and have your whole suit look uniform rather than have a cardstock suit that's smooth with a warped helmet. I must say you did pretty good for pepping that with regular paper though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back