My ODST Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll agree with everything that's been said, scrap the paper and start again with card. Not only will the paper collapse it'll be almost impossible to use resin/bondo on without it loosing its shape. You don't need hot glue, personally I use all purpose adhesive like Unibond, costs about £2. It's a little messy to get used to but it has about a 5-10 second drying time then it goes rock solid, also it dries as a gel so you won't destroy brushes!
-Elliot.

Also I really don't know how well regular paper will take liquid put on it. I am 110% sure that it will collapse. Save your time and money and just go with Card Stock.

*EDIT* Card stock will be easier to work with for the fact that it is just the right thickness and weight to be easily manipulated to how you want to use it. No pun intended ^_^. Cardboard is to thick especially corrugated and paper is to thin. So ya Stock Card or no Armor, that's my final advice. And ffs please don't paper mache, you will end up looking like a Halo Pinata, don't go to cons like that or Star Wars Nerds will blast you with their Light Sabers :)

Also to test out your skills and such, start with a really small project first, like a shoulder pad or a wrist guard. Don't start off huge with the Breast Plate or Helmet, cause if for some reason you mess up you are going to be in a "-_- fml" situation. And those are situations that suck to be in

thanks guys , i have researched a lot and i think i may go with cardstock. Ive done lots of pepakura before but i just havent resined before.

Here is the left shoulder
5440429077_3e7260eefb_m.jpg

5441032878_8394e27d01_m.jpg

Bad news, the glue gun broke, the glue got jammed and somehow melted the inside , so im melting glue in a saucepan coz i dont have to waste batteries,ill have to get a plug in one.So after lots of trouble and a big blister on my thumb, ive just about finished pepping the shoulder pad and glued foam inside.

Starting on an energy sword. I reused my glue gun by cutting the handle off and using the top as an energy sword handle.
5440736385_090b0ce4f9_m.jpg

What do you think?

erm.. your helmet are you using pepakura? and all your hardening material should be on the inside unless your painting thin coats of glue/resin on.
but dude please read some stickies before you carry on it'll help you out in the long run.

Not to sound like a douche, but your taking approaches like you have 2+ years experience. Please read and research. This isn't cheap like I said, so if you don't have the cash don't waste your time.

ive researched and made pepakura for 6 months now but i just havent ever resined anything. people tell me to research but i have for 6 months +. I have plenty of money. Im gonna do it how i likevit and if it fails ill just start again. The only things that need a lot of hardening is the armour not especially the helmet unless you are going to be smashing it around and being silly in it which i do not intend to do.

ive researched and made pepakura for 6 months now but i just havent ever resined anything. people tell me to research but i have for 6 months +. I have plenty of money. Im gonna do it how i likevit and if it fails ill just start again. The only things that need a lot of hardening is the armour not especially the helmet unless you are going to be smashing it around and being silly in it which i do not intend to do.
You do need to harden the helmet. Everything, AT LEAST, needs a coat of resin on the outside and a coat of resin and fiberglass cloth on the inside. If you don't, you going to have a lot of hurt when you try to put your helmet on and it rips.

Not to sound like a douche, but your taking approaches like you have 2+ years experience. Please read and research. This isn't cheap like I said, so if you don't have the cash don't waste your time.

cmon guys this is a thread for helping not to tell people that they are doing it the wrong way. this is bigsplicer's build so let's let him do it the way that he wants to do it. if he does read the stickies thats great and it'll be a heck of a lot easier to build because those are proven methods which result in an awesome suit of armor (most of the time). however if he wants to build it his way thats good too! he can be creative and possibly find a better or cheaper alternative to create something of the same quality as if he did read the stickies. bigsplicer you also need to take criticism and pointers into account too. you did post this on a forum in which people are here to help. so take their advice or at the least acknowledge it and thank them for their tip. don't just snap back because we don't need stuff like this here at the 405th. so let's just keep everything constructive here ok? thanks! :)

btw bigsplicer nice pep work with the shoulder! however when you said you glued the foam into the shoulder did you harden it first? or are you not planning on fiberglassing the inside of the shoulder for added reinforcement.

I already told him, Read the stickies and research. He said he has 6+ months, well thats good but he doesn't know how to resin. And thats why I said research so he can learn how to do that.

ive made up my mind im going to start the helmet again.so ill buy some cardstock and more hot glue and then ill aqua resin.
PS. THANKS surfahbum
PS.FRINGE i do know how to fiberglass/resin ive just never done it before:)

-Fr1nge-
So you wouldn't recommend using masking tape to have the pep together if I don't have a glue gun available? It was all I had available and here is how my helmet is looking so far.
DSC_5771.jpg

-Fr1nge-
So you wouldn't recommend using masking tape to have the pep together if I don't have a glue gun available? It was all I had available and here is how my helmet is looking so far.
DSC_5771.jpg
AWSOME helmet evil jester i would use hot glue but dont worry i ran out and i used masking tape and sellotape and my helmet is still in one piece.You should have taped it on the inside.Well done though!:cool:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back