Ranger and Jorge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coroidan

Jr Member
Hello!

So both of these are my first real attempts at anything involving armour. I need to finish the Ranger one by April, but the Jorge one is just to have an attempt.

So yeah, first up, the NCR Ranger:

This is where it was at when I signed up.
PIC_0015.jpg

After bog.
PIC_0019.jpg

After sanding, and attaching the wire connectors.
PIC_0020.jpg

I'm waiting for some supplies to still turn up for this, so it's a little bit slow going at the moment. Should have a helmet coming in some time (using a WW2 era M1 helmet replica). I should also have some anti-fatigue mat arriving some time to create the body, and I'll probably also use it for the eyes.

Next up! Jorge:

Pep
PIC_0017.jpg

Resin
PIC_0018.jpg

Fibreglass
PIC_0024.jpg

PIC_0023.jpg

This is my first time ever using resin and fibreglass, and building anything from pep in general, so it's all a bit of a learning curve. I think I've missed a couple of small bits with the fibreglass, so I need to go back and get it into some of the nooks and crannies. After that, I'll start slapping bog on it and see how it goes.

Main reason I'm putting this up is I would love to hear some critique, or if anyone can see places I've gone pretty wrong. 405th has already been a huge help just from the awesome information available here!

The ranger looks good, the bondo is smooth and clean edged.

The Jorge looks good too, but one thing i see wrong. That indent on the top of the helmet, should actually be extruded outward not in.

Other than that it looks good, especially if you just started.

Ah, whoops! Thank you for picking up on that. Might be able to rise it up with some foam and smooth it out with bog, to save me cutting and re-doing it.

Cheers for the positive words too, I keep looking at it and wondering if I've been a bit dodgy in some parts.

That Jorge helmet I really like a lot. Yes! use foam to bring out any details you can. It's better then cutting, and redoing the pep. Keep it up.

Thanks for the encouragement guys! Also, I just went back to get some more pep print outs and saw that Forged Reclaimer made the one I'm using, so a big thank you for that, Mr. Reclaimer! I've glued in some foam to turn the indent into a bump now, too.

Also, a good chunk of my supplies turned up today, so I should be able to start doing a bit more on the Ranger outfit. However, I've also just started my new job today, so my free time has dropped considerably. Will try and get some more work done and get some stuff up after the weekend.

EDIT: When do people think I should cut out the front visor? I was thinking before bondo, so I can get the bog in around the visor edge and smooth it off. Or should I bondo the visor as well before cutting it all out?

Been a bit slow since I started work this week, but I'm trying to get a little bit done each night.

Filter I'll be modifying for my Ranger. I wouldn't mind getting peoples opinions on whether it looks right, or if I need to shorten it up before attaching it?
PIC_0027.jpg

Some bondo work coming together on the Jorge helmet. I'm trying to get a 'lil bit done each night.
PIC_0026.jpg

You can see the foam inserts I've put in this one. Will probably build it up by hand after bondo work using some Selleys Knead-It.
PIC_0025.jpg

More to come!

intersting why do you use the blue foam on your helmet, not trying to be rude just trying to learn other techniques

I bought a batch of 40 sheets of craft foam for about $20 some time back. Blue was just the colour I grabbed. It's not very thick, but it seems to be doing the trick on occasion. I'm still waiting for my anti-fatigue foam mat to turn up, though.

Very nice! Definitely two of my favourite armours, from two of my favourite games :D

Incredibly awesome pep work for a first time. Are you working on full suits or just helmets?

The Ranger one will definitely be a full suit. The Jorge one is just a helmet for the time being, but depending on how it goes I may keep going and do a whole suit, probably once I get a bit more cashed up.

Double-post, but I'm super happy as my foam has turned up! Now I just need some time to start working out the template for the body. Unfortunately, this stuff has a pattern printed on both sides. Any one got any suggestions for sanding down foam matting a little? That wet sandpaper stuff, or something?

Anyway, picktcha!
PIC_0028-1.jpg

Will hopefully get a chance to rotary up some correct lenses tomorrow, and once I get the filter modified and attached I can finally start painting! Sorry I've only got the 1 picture for today. Will try to have more for my next update.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and once I fill in that massive gaping hole in the front...

Finally managed to get some work done on my Ranger. Still no more on Jorge yet, sorry. I'm about half-way through Bondo with that one still.

First up, always make sure to have a nice clean working environment:
PIC_0034.jpg

Anyway, I think I've got the Ranger mask to a point where I can primer, finally!
PIC_0035.jpg

Aaaand drying!
PIC_0036.jpg

Also, these will be my pipes out one side of the mask. One is a chunk of plastic tubing, and inside that is a part water tap line with a coat hanger wrapped around it, to make it stay the shape I want a bit better. The other is a Coax audio cable that I grabbed from an electrical store. The plug end mounted in the mask is actually the other end of the same cable, I just hacked it off.
PIC_0037.jpg

This Plasti-dip reckons it takes 4 hours to dry, so hopefully I'll be able to get some more stuff done and uploaded this afternoon for y'all. Also, I discovered (or rather, found out from reading Gamemaster's foam build) that heat makes foam my bitch! Should make the next part of the build a bit easier (the body armour).

Also, seeing all the other NCR masks popping up made me feel guilty about not getting anything done on mine for about a week... With any luck, I'll have updates coming a bit faster now.

Hello!

So both of these are my first real attempts at anything involving armour. I need to finish the Ranger one by April, but the Jorge one is just to have an attempt.

So yeah, first up, the NCR Ranger:

This is where it was at when I signed up.
PIC_0015.jpg

After bog.
PIC_0019.jpg

After sanding, and attaching the wire connectors.
PIC_0020.jpg

I'm waiting for some supplies to still turn up for this, so it's a little bit slow going at the moment. Should have a helmet coming in some time (using a WW2 era M1 helmet replica). I should also have some anti-fatigue mat arriving some time to create the body, and I'll probably also use it for the eyes.

Next up! Jorge:

Pep
PIC_0017.jpg

Resin
PIC_0018.jpg

Fibreglass
PIC_0024.jpg

PIC_0023.jpg

This is my first time ever using resin and fibreglass, and building anything from pep in general, so it's all a bit of a learning curve. I think I've missed a couple of small bits with the fibreglass, so I need to go back and get it into some of the nooks and crannies. After that, I'll start slapping bog on it and see how it goes.

Main reason I'm putting this up is I would love to hear some critique, or if anyone can see places I've gone pretty wrong. 405th has already been a huge help just from the awesome information available here!

Wow!
Nice Jorge, wasn't it hard to not have numbers on that Jorge Helmet?

Not have number?

EDIT: Oooh, sorry, you mean the Numbers that pepakura sometimes has. I didn't find it that hard, I had my laptop open next to me with the Pep on it while I was gluing it together, for reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back