William-B312 Noble Six Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMAW09

Hello Everyone

This is my first time posting other than my introduction. This is also the first build I have every done. My eventual plans are to create a paperkura noble 6 helmet to look just like my character's in Reach.

So far I have finished the paperkura model and am waiting for some time to start the resin and fiberglass. I would like to thank whoever posted the link to the soaring hammer website and tutorials. These have been very helpful. I read through most of the tutorials but this website helped to clear up some things.

Since this is my first attempt, I don't know if I will be using it as my final piece. IMO it's pretty rough in some spots. With that being said I am assuming its like using bondo on a car. The end result will be the same, but it will just take more time to get there through finishing.

These pictures are shot with a cell phone so sorry about the quality. I will use a real camera for the next round. So without further banter, these are my pictures so far...

IMG_20110323_180023.jpg

IMG_20110323_180034.jpg

IMG_20110323_211839.jpg

IMG_20110329_145506.jpg

IMG_20110329_145518.jpg

IMG_20110329_160326.jpg

IMG_20110329_211030.jpg

IMG_20110329_211038.jpg

IMG_20110329_211342.jpg

Hello Everyone

This is my first time posting other than my introduction. This is also the first build I have every done. My eventual plans are to create a paperkura noble 6 helmet to look just like my character's in Reach.

So far I have finished the paperkura model and am waiting for some time to start the resin and fiberglass. I would like to thank whoever posted the link to the soaring hammer website and tutorials. These have been very helpful. I read through most of the tutorials but this website helped to clear up some things.

Since this is my first attempt, I don't know if I will be using it as my final piece. IMO it's pretty rough in some spots. With that being said I am assuming its like using bondo on a car. The end result will be the same, but it will just take more time to get there through finishing.

These pictures are shot with a cell phone so sorry about the quality. I will use a real camera for the next round. So without further banter, these are my pictures so far...

IMG_20110329_145506.jpg

Good first attempt. However, I see a lot of warping. The warping will cause a lot of work if you try to make it smooth using bondo. I recommend that you build another helmet, but more slowly. I also noticed that you used hot glue. It looks a little messy. And also do not skip the detail parts when you build the helmet. You should go with the flow. They are essential to help strengthen the helmet. If you put them last, they tend to lose the integrity and causes warpage. Pepakura really test your patience.

*agrees 100%* This is a mind-numbing task sometimes, but often the most critical. To help you out, I'd recommend setting another helmet with higher fold lines. That helps you align the parts better, and you only have to score the parts that have been on this helmet. Warps will be far less and smaller, yet it will still stay smooth. I'd recommend another, because finishing that one will take more work than simply pepping a new one. your call, but I wish you luck.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will ultimatly end up building another paperkura. I would like to resin and bondo this one for the practice as well. Also is there a right way to start the paperkura as far as numbering goes? I just worked from the top down.

Is there something you would recommend other than hot glue or am I on the right track just more patience required? I will admit, it got very frustrating at times and I know I rushed it.

Good first attempt. However, I see a lot of warping. The warping will cause a lot of work if you try to make it smooth using bondo. I recommend that you build another helmet, but more slowly. I also noticed that you used hot glue. It looks a little messy. And also do not skip the detail parts when you build the helmet. You should go with the flow. They are essential to help strengthen the helmet. If you put them last, they tend to lose the integrity and causes warpage. Pepakura really test your patience.

I also agree. Not to be rude but some areas of this helmet are beyond help. I will be almost impossible to get the proper shape to it. I would also recommend starting over. Pep is very difficult to get used to and we dont normally suggest starting on helmets for this reason. My tip to use is to assemble the smaller detail parts and then put them on the helmet. My fist helmet didnt turn out much better so dont feel bad.

You didnt mention what kind of paper you used. Was it normal printer paper or 110lbs card stock? That makes a huge difference too.

Is there something you would recommend other than hot glue or am I on the right track just more patience required? I will admit, it got very frustrating at times and I know I rushed it.

While elmers glue works well for me. I put in on the tab and smooth it over with my finger.

I've Pepped my entire suit using nothing but hot glue from a mini-low temp gun. Just be sure to apply the correct amount and account for the glue spreading a little when you squeeze the parts together.

Other than that, people use regular Elmer's white glue, super glue, and there's a guy that swears by Fabri-Tac glue. I still think hot glue is one of the best.

Patience is definitely one of the more useful tools when making a suit like this. Just take your time. Remember that the more work you put in the preparation and early stages now, the less work later.

Hot glue is easy if you know how to control the amount. I completed 2 suits and in finished pepped 2 more suits. I never used hot glue even once. Elmer's glue works really well for me. I never got burnt once and I think my pep pieces came out ok. I did a quick tutorial for those who never used Elmer's glue. See link http://www.405th.com/showthread.php...or-Papercraft-or-Pepakura?p=508629#post508629.

I also agree. Not to be rude but some areas of this helmet are beyond help. I will be almost impossible to get the proper shape to it. I would also recommend starting over. Pep is very difficult to get used to and we dont normally suggest starting on helmets for this reason. My tip to use is to assemble the smaller detail parts and then put them on the helmet. My fist helmet didnt turn out much better so dont feel bad.

You didnt mention what kind of paper you used. Was it normal printer paper or 110lbs card stock? That makes a huge difference too.

While elmers glue works well for me. I put in on the tab and smooth it over with my finger.

No offense taken. I posted these pictures so I could get some help and pointers for the next one I make. I used 100lb paper from our campus craft store. I couldn't find 110 anywhere but someone pointed out walmart has it. I must have been looking right past it. I think I will try to find 110 and see if that will help any. I might try using another method other than hot glue. I didn't seem to be quite fast enough when aligning my pieces. I think this is the main reason for the warping.

When the numbers dont align very well I usually just rip it off carefully, wait for the existing glue to dry and then try again

100 lb is fine. When I first started out I was using 80 lb cardstock. Pepakura is really a patience game. I am a personal fan on hot glue, because it allows you to fix your mistakes by running the hot tip of the glue gun over your goof. It also helps if you clean you the little strands the glue leaves behind. Just a thought.

No resin yet. I am actually cutting out the pieces for the noble six handguard now. After looking at my first attempt and reading the comments, I think I have a better grasp of how it should be done. I figured I would try something a little less time consuming and post my work to get more comments before I start on a helmet again.

So I am trying something a little different now. I printed out all the pieces, cut them and scored them before assembling. Last time I scored as I went. I also assembled all of the tiny detailed pieces first. All these seemed to help this time. I also used a cold glue, called tacky glue, instead of hot glue. I think this helped the most. In the wrist piece I made, I can only see one very slight warp. Maybe I'm not picky enough yet but it looks a lot better than the helmet. I think I might start another round with the helmet since this worked out so much better. Also with this glue, it seemed like the paper became a lot more rigid as I went along (probably because I smeared too much but it seemed to help also).

IMG_20110330_152001.jpg

IMG_20110330_151127.jpg

IMG_20110330_151113.jpg

IMG_20110330_143506.jpg

That hand guard looks great. Definitely a big step forward. I'm learning right along with ya and starting mine today so this is good. Still, that hand guard looks very well done. Good job.

This is my second attempt to make a helmet. This time went much better than the first and I am very happy with the outcome. The only spot it really warped is on the right side of the visor which will be cut off anyways. I'm going to list a couple things that helped me out on my second attempt so maybe some noobs can forgo the same mistakes as me.

1. The first attempt I used 95 lb paper. This time I used 110 lb paper and it made a world of difference.

2. Hot glue didn't work out so well for me the first time. It warped the whole thing, I used too much glue and I couldn't get the pieces lined up right fast enough. This time I used tacky glue.

3. I assembled all of the small pieces first. I was in a hurry to see the finished project and wanted to see it take shape the first time. I didn't consider how the small pieces would give the whole helmet structure. Lesson learned.

4. I scored all of the pieces before I started assembling anything. It sucked but it helped cut down on me rushing.

I hope this helps anyone looking to start a helmet. I am hoping to resin and fiberglass next week. I am going to use my first helmet to play around with fiberglass mat and cloth. After that is bondo which I have done a lot of work with. I am most excited about the paint job. I have a collegue that is an ace with a paint gun. It kind of off topic but I'm gonna post a picture of his work. He made it for my major adviser who is an OSU alum.

One final message...I am not gifted in the least bit artistically. I am lucky if I can draw a stick figure that looks good. Since I've been here I've seen a lot of threads where people are claiming they don't have the skill or time. I sure don't have the skill and I'm a grad student writing my thesis so I sure don't have the time. I approached this like a stress relief and I enjoyed every bit of it. Sorry for my rant it just seemed a little irritating that someone would forgo the sense of accomplishment associated with completing their own helmet by purchasing one without even trying. End rant

DSCN0881.jpg

DSCN0883.jpg

DSCN0935.jpg

DSCN0936.jpg

DSCN0937.jpg

Sorry forgot to post a picture of the skull that was painted up. He's going to show me how he does it but I think he will end up painting the finished helmet.

IMG_20101215_092228.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back