It's the Future. LazerTag-integrated Armor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoxyRoo

There have been so many threads about paint ball and airsoft. Both have mixed conclusions on whether the armor can stand up to it. People have put videos up of completely shot-through helmets and it's not pretty. Despite the evidence that people have against risking your armor, people still are interested enough to keep writing about it.

Whatever your conclusions or thoughts, here's something i haven't seen yet. Why not Lazer Tag? I love lazer tag. I used to go all the time (then college happened, derp). I keep thinking there must be a way to put the lazer tag sensors into your amor (or onto it temporarily) without it sticking out like a soar thumb, and put the lazer in a Halo-weapon shell. And I've seen lazertag packs for sale at walmart before, so all you'd have to do is find it, buy it and mod it.

Lazer-Tage-System-by-Nerf.jpg

Just think of how cool it would be to see 3-4 spartans duking it out, with all their lights on. And it would play like normal Slayer/TeamSlayer too! Every time you kill you get a point, and every time you die, you "respawn" a moment later. XDD

Just a thought.

Haha, I never had thought of that. That is a very good idea. Laser tag has never been my thing, but I can definitely see some people getting interested in this idea. Way to think outside of the box!

i thought of it to. why not use the spots where people usually put lights at anyway. (for mkVI two on the chest, one on each shoulder, one on each forearm, two-three on each thigh, one-two on each shin, multiple for backpack.)
Untitled-1.png

I was thinking about putting one of these into a prop/ armor

Gametypes can set for Clip size, reloads, respawn times, lives etc.

To reload you have to have a "Clip"
to respawn you have to use the "MedKit"

System works up to 3 football fields in length.

Might be fun to play at a Convention in the hotel.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a really cool idea. Not as fun as lighting somebody up and watching the rounds hit, but definitely more armor friendly. Gingersnapples has a good point about hiding the sensors where there's lights anyways. I've only played laser tag once so I can't say much about it, but I can see how frustrating it would be to get somebody out, but I guess that would help to simulate the fact that it is in fact armor. That said, maybe sensors in the joints or between plates would be more fair? Idk, just throwin ideas out there but again I think that's a bit more fair than airsoft or paintball anyways, because it is armor... how do you calculate a hit system in airsoft or paintbal? When you're hit, you're out and with a hit system there'd be even more cheating.

Looking at your guys' own ideas make this seem better and better. OwO It's sounding like a lot of fun!

@GingerSnapples:
omg, you have a diagram? XD nice. I personally would want my lights and the sensors separate, but keep them in the traditional areas; chest, shoulders, head. There's not much need for an overload of sensors, i think. Plus, must people might be on a budget.

@Ben Streeper:
dude, you are always full of win. Where on earth did you find that video? XDD That system RULES! Med packs and clips? over a football field area to cover? This is sounding more and more like Slayer than ever! I so want to take the med pack and decorate it to look like the one from the game... >w>

@Bishorzidi:
yes. much more armor friendly, i agree. Makes much more sense than getting months of work blown to bits for one game of paintball. The only armor I'd see realistically surviving paintball would be foam armor, since so many people are going that route nowadays.

Not to go off topic but I have about 10 Nerf guns modded and I thought of this because I'm modding another as we speak... has anybody ever modded and painted up Nerf guns and played like that? I'm sure it's been covered before but I figured I'd bring it up while the topic of alternatives to paintball airsoft is here. With modded Nerf guns you can get some pretty decent range, accuracy, and power to tell when somebody's hit. They can be painted to look pretty nice, they're armor friendly, and because you can see them and they are fairly slow shooting, you could institute a hit system to make it fair considering you are wearing armor and all and could survive more than one hit (if you're going off the games) unless it's a sniper headshot or whatever. You also don't have to go to a field or risk getting arrested to play it, and on BenStreeper's point it may even be hotel friendly if you just check with the manager first and ask if it'd be ok. Of course, you'd lose darts, but that's just a minor detail. Just thinkin out loud, sorry to thread jack Roxy.

http://www.fragtag.com.au/

Laser tag is much bigger in Australia than it is here, gameplay resembles paintball or airsoft more than it does the cheesy laser tag we have stateside.

I like this idea, but it's worthless without players. At least with airsoft, you know you'll have opportunities to field it. If it catches on, though, it'd be great!

Lol....

You say Laser tag, I think 1986.

I still have like 4 pistols + harness + sensors and a helmet... ahh good times.

http://www.fragtag.com.au/

Laser tag is much bigger in Australia than it is here, gameplay resembles paintball or airsoft more than it does the cheesy laser tag we have stateside.

I like this idea, but it's worthless without players. At least with airsoft, you know you'll have opportunities to field it. If it catches on, though, it'd be great!

As you said, here in Australia lasertag (and paintball) is a pretty big thing, regular birthday party material.

I can see this working well, you'd just have to get other people with armour, and are willing to put in the effort to make it. It should also stop people being silly and wanting to go paintballing in armour xD

its a neat idea. would have to play more squad based tactical movement style because no one wants to crack their armors doing dives and rolls and going all rambo which i would be prone to do haha. as for using actual nerf guns with darts. cant feel the hit of a nerf dart on our armor so you would probably have the good ol "I hit you!" "no you didnt" arguements lol.

I think this Idea is brilliant!

We can finally have a battle without having to put ourselves at risk and not being so expensive like airsoft and paintball!

This should be stickied so we wouldn't have to hear anymore paintball/airsoft armor ideas.

I've actually had a business model for a laser tag arena sitting in moth balls for a while. It is interesting that you mention armor because the "referees" in the stadium would be wearing such a thing. Their armor would also be equipped with "god guns" for penalizing players who break the rules (including shutting down their rigs for the rest of the game.

Not to mention, in the business model, the staff would wear a military-style uniform at work. Think Starship Troopers mixed with Mass Effect and Halo. The entire thing would have a sci-fi base/ship look internally, too.

However, back on topic. I love the idea of a full suit of armor that is equipped with sensors. Possibly as a roving "boss" in the arena. Tag it for a few extra points, but if it tags you then you lose some major points. Heck, I'd probably do a set of something resembling Mjolnir armor out of foam with the sensors from a vest incorporated into it. I say foam so there is less chance of an "oops, I turned too quickly and broke the shin on a wall" moment.

In other words, I love the idea.

Yay! I'm glad so many people are liking this. I'm curious to see how this takes off, if anyone puts it into actual use. I think the problem would be finding enough people to do it with. Can't exactly play lazer tag with only 1 person/spartan.

Sounds awesome O-o'
For sensors, can't you pop one into those vent thingies in a MK.V-VI? I know it doesn't look like a headshot, but it works.

Edit: Oh thank goodness! I though I just Necro'd for a moment.

Well since we're necroing :rolleyes

its a neat idea. would have to play more squad based tactical movement style because no one wants to crack their armors doing dives and rolls and going all rambo which i would be prone to do haha. as for using actual nerf guns with darts. cant feel the hit of a nerf dart on our armor so you would probably have the good ol "I hit you!" "no you didnt" arguements lol.

I don't think that it would be too big a deal with the nerf guns. Granted, all of my guns are modded, but I think hearing/feeling em wouldn't be too big a deal. I mean, people play the "you didn't hit me" arguement all the time even without armor, and those people are just plain no fun anyways. But if you had some fair people with modded guns I can see it going well. Again, just brainstorming, but it's a heck of a lot cheaper than installing a bunch of laser tag points in your armor. Not that laser tag is a bad idea I just never like laser tag when I played it.

The only problem would be getting 100,000 dollars...Other than that it is awesome! I think that if one were to throw some vehicles in, it would be even cooler!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back