WIP: Half Life, Gordon Freeman's HEV Suit

Status
Not open for further replies.

guybrush

Hey,

I'd like to share my progress on the Hazardous Environment Suit which I've started. It is my first armor project, so I am gonna take my time on it :) . Most parts are now pepped and resined, and seem to fit me well without the need to rescale it (I'm a skinny scientist myself, so that things been MADE for me :cool ).

I guess there's no much to discuss at this stage, but maybe you have something to say, any feedback (or motivational reply...?) would be highly appreciated !!!

Oh, and a BIG shout out to NUGGET, LOESS and (NULL).EXE for their work on the pepakura files! Thanks. Although I'm not sure if null.exe is a person... if you exist, then SORRY, but it seemed as if pepakura has just filled some default program name there ...

Ok, some images...

Here are most parts. The torso isn't on the picture, but almost done.
GordonFreeman_HEV_suit01.jpg

Al parts are resined apart from one thigh-piece. That's when I ran out of resin....

Here's one biceps piece which is already fiberglassed on the inside. You can see (not very well) the clear fabric of the fiberglass.
GordonFreeman_HEV_suit03.jpg

That's the belt-piece. I've used fiberglass putty (is that mudglass??) on the inside to make it rigid.
GordonFreeman_HEV_suit06.jpg

It is the same stuff I am using for the crowba:r http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/32429-WIP-Half-Life-Gordon-Freeman-s-crowbar-using-fiberglass-putty

A forearm. Just to show that the hell I'm using that piece!!?!
GordonFreeman_HEV_suit04.jpg

Last but not least, it seems to be good practice here to have something like that. Still a looong way to go...
progress1.jpg

Many Greetings from Germany!

Looks pretty impressive so far, quite neat folds and glues (if that's the right term) from the looks of it. I've been interested in this suit myself. What are you planning on doing for the undersuit? Also, where did you get the pep files, I've looked myself and had no luck.

thanks BlueSol and JUSTINIAN!

Marneon, I found the files over at the rpf in a similar yet unfinished thread. You might want to try the link
http://www.mediafire.com/?o3t5jmyjmgn
But be aware that the shank (is that correct?) pieces have no numbering on their tabs (the thing you're supposed to glue). So it's a bit a pain to get them together.

As for the undersuit, I was planning to start with that corsage thingy. I thought I'd order some cordura fabric and sew it around rubber foam. That cordure looks quite "rough", so it looks a bit kevlar like. In order to get a nice fit I will actually make four different pieces, each for one segment, to be closed with velcro at the back. That way I can have it nicely tight. I guess if I make it one piece it won't fit as nicely as in the picture....

Awesome work on this!

Null is indeed a person, and was instrumental in getting Nugget's files ready to use.

You've probably seen it over on RPF, but my recommendation on the undersuit is cotton duck canvas over foam; because I find cotton easier to work with, and I like the non-glare of it in flash photos.

Nice work! Keep it up! I'm at a loss on how to scale the freeman suit?

***edit***

Also, what did you use to resin that? It looks superb!

thanks, NeoKeth! I've tried most of the pieces and they seem to fit me without rescaling, so I have no experience with rescaling, but I've seen numerous threads for this. As fo rthe resin, I used regular polyester resin, so nothing special. Although, both the peps and the resin have that orange tint so the pieces have that nice "Lambda-Orange" on them :)

Loess, thanks for the feedback, and again, great work on the pepakura model. Yeah, I've seen null as a person, sorry, but I guess I'll get the benefit of the noob ;-). Anyway, I'd be honoured if you followed my thread (which has to be delayed a bit due to moving appartment, hope to be active in a few weeks!). I hear your advice for the undersuit, so cotton duck it is! I guess it's cheaper anyways...

Hey,

after a long time, I finally got to resume working on the costume. Not much, but enough progress to show here. I could gather a little experience when I shaped my crowbar, but I still have difficulties with getting my armor pieces in shape. So far, the upper arms looks... ok.

_DSC3427.jpg

You can see three kinds of putty I've used (only different brands). Usually, I tend to apply way too much putty which I have to sand down again. That's a common issue though, I guess. Plus, I'm proud owner of a Dremel tool, so sanding down excess bondo is rather fun.

The lower legs look also ok, please remember that all parts shown are very raw versions, and with enough sanding I try to get them in better shape. The left one has some unsanded spot putty on for first corrections.

_DSC3429.jpg

I had a bit of trouble with the lower arms. I messed up a bit a protruding part, which sort of forms a pit. So I tried to completely shape it from bondo. Here you can the see left and right piece, after and before first sanding.

_DSC3428.jpg

As mentioned, I used waaay too much bondo for this, but sanding it down turned out quite ok.

Here's the lower arm piece again:
_DSC3430.jpg

let me know what you think.

Greetings from Germany!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back