Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Thorssoli's Isaac Clarke Engineering Rig from Dead Space 2

Awesome work with the molds. And I just looked up the book you mentioned earlier. It is now on my amazon wish list. I have been looking for good prop and fx books for a while but have had NO luck. Thank you for sharing that. Now I just need to find more. LOL I'm really looking forward to seeing the first pulls of the face plate. I know one of your threads showed the different layers of the mother mold in detail but for the life of me I can't find it again. If you get a chance can you PM me the link?
    "That helmet makes you look like a Master Chief bobble head!"
    -my student's reaction to the first attempt at a pep MC Helmet
    WHS Red vs. Blue Build WIP

I love how you name all of your stuff. Good work by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Starvinartist80 View Post
    Awesome work with the molds. And I just looked up the book you mentioned earlier. It is now on my amazon wish list. I have been looking for good prop and fx books for a while but have had NO luck. Thank you for sharing that. Now I just need to find more. LOL I'm really looking forward to seeing the first pulls of the face plate. I know one of your threads showed the different layers of the mother mold in detail but for the life of me I can't find it again. If you get a chance can you PM me the link?
    I'm not sure which layers you're talking about. The whole mold system is basically two layers. The "jacket" or "glove" is the rubber portion that goes right against the original model. The "mother mold" is the rigid shell that keeps the jacket from warping or collapsing under its own weight.

I'm writing a detailed blog entry all about the moldmaking process with my Republic Commando helmet. I'll post a link once I've published it.

The Thurston James book will explain all of this in great detail and it's practically a bible in my workshop. Some of it is a bit outdated, but it's great for general guidelines. If you don't own it already, you need to buy it before you make expensive moldmaking mistakes.
    I'm always looking for new projects to take on. If there's something you'd like me to make, email me.
    If you're bored and feel like reading about all of my adventures, check out my blog at http://protagonist4hire.blogspot.com/.

Here's the blog entry I mentioned: http://protagonist4hire.blogspot.com...t-part_22.html
    I'm always looking for new projects to take on. If there's something you'd like me to make, email me.
    If you're bored and feel like reading about all of my adventures, check out my blog at http://protagonist4hire.blogspot.com/.

Thanks for sharing both your builds and the techniques you use to make them. I'm looking at "mass producing" a costume for the entire family for Halloween and a follow on local Sci-Fi convention so your current topic regarding molding is timely. I will endevour to track down a copy of the "James" bible

Keep us up to date on all your work!
    The story behind my Avatar told here:
    http://chief117.webs.com/apps/blog/e...en-s-hospital-

Blog Entries
    Exceptional work as always! Thanks for the recommendation on the book, btw, I put it on my Amazon wish list and got a copy for my birthday this year (super yay!)... Great stuff in there, for true!! However, it's always nice to see someone actually putting this stuff into practice with such wonderful step-by-step detail as you tend to. Thanks much, and keep it up!

as usual, everything looks amazing- my brother's a big dead space fan and i showed him this thread. i only let him see the picture of the partially completed face grille and he immediately knew what it was. cant wait to see the finished product!

Let your brother know that if he wants one of these helmets, he can email me at sthorsson99@yahoo.com and we can work something out.

Yesterday I finished the faceplate mold:

Once I had the first cast out of the mold I couldn't resist the urge to try it on:

Then I gave the whole thing a quick shot of black primer:

Then a coat of Model Masters Metalizer in "magnesium"

I've also formed blue tinted acrylic to fit the slots in the faceshield.

Here's a detail shot showing the back of the helmet:

Stay tuned...

great work Thor. Really crisp details throughout the helmet.
    "That helmet makes you look like a Master Chief bobble head!"
    -my student's reaction to the first attempt at a pep MC Helmet
    WHS Red vs. Blue Build WIP

Thanks. I'm pretty happy with the sculpt.

Yesterday I fitted magnets to the faceplate:

In the process I also tried to shake hands with one of my Forstner bits:

Again.

Then, even though it's too early in paintjob to do any weathering, I went ahead and did a black wash over the whole thing:

The first cast has a few trouble spots, but I'm still planning on finishing the paintjob on it just so I can reassure myself that the paintjob will look right when I've finished it. Then I'll paint three more of them. One for me, one for the guy that asked me to do this build, and one for the eBay.

Stay tuned...