Space Marine Primaris Helmet

Biskt

Hello Everyone!

I picked up a new Bambu A1 printer just before Christmas, and it's been awesome so far.
Picking it up inspired me to design something new specifically for printing, and I decided to do a Primaris Space Marine helmet!

Below are some renders of the model at the moment, I wanted to go for a slightly more grounded look, but still maintain some of the proportionality and details that make the original design so Iconic. I referenced various pieces of art from the codexes and other illustrations as they tend to have proportions I prefer to the more comical shapes of the actual miniatures.

Apologies for the watermarks, I've been advised that unmarked 3D print files and renders often get yoinked and re-sold :eek:

Orthos

BISKT_Renders_Watermarked_02.png
BISKT_Renders_Watermarked_01.png
BISKT_Renders_Watermarked_03.png

Front view

BISKT_Renders_Watermarked_06.png

Side View

BISKT_Renders_Watermarked_04.png

Rear View

BISKT_Renders_Watermarked_03b.png

Underside

BISKT_Renders_Watermarked_05.png

Viewport view
BISKT_Renders_Watermarked_10.png

The reference used - I liked the red helmet's proportions the most, so that was a big influence.

Ref.PNG

And some material renders for fun. I hope I can achieve a similar finish when I build this for real :oops:

BISKT_Renders_Watermarked_07.png

BISKT_Renders_Watermarked_08.png

I'm currently working on getting all the connections and tolerances figured out so it will be as breezy as possible to assemble when printed.
Assuming I'm satisfied with the quality of the build I'll probably make these files available for purchase if there's any interest.
I've spent a fair ammount of time trying to design it for buildability/wearability too:

The lenses are small separate parts with alignment grooves/tabs. You could print these in tinted resin, clip the tabs away and mount a motorcycle visor, or I've even modeled a printable lens vac form buck for if the builder has access to that kind of hardware.

The helmet comes apart in a number of ways. I wanted to somewhat make sense of some of the shapes of the design, what actually is their purpose, etc. I think it lends believably to the design :). I thought about adding sockets for magnets but I wouldn't want to force anyone into building this in a certain way.

Lenses_01.gif
HelmetConfiguration_01.gif

As i mentioned above, the neck seal is a separate part and could be left out to create more space for a head or magnetized for display.

For the back plate, it's slightly recessed into the ears as well as the cowl/skull/'main top part.' I might remove the outer lip on the ear so that the back plate can slide out if not secured, as well as offering a sliced version of the neck seal.

For the pipe it was mostly for ease of printing but also that I/others might want to use actual rubber tubing, so at least you have the option. (they also have a bit of tolerance/give to ensure they fit well in their sockets)

NeckSeal_01.gif
RearPlate&Tubing.gif

The only other things i haven't mentioned is the metallic ear section is made of a few parts to get the negative space/shadow gaps I wanted, however I'll probs make a version that's all stuck together and a bit simpler for anyone who just wants the barebones.

That and the bolts are all separate too. Personally I'd prefer to print a plate of those at higher res, finish them up then glue them in. -Although again I think i'd like to provide a 'simple' version of the main parts in case anyone wants to print this at a smaller scale or just as quickly as possible.

Thanks for looking!

This looks amazing. Will be following this thread :love:

Any plans to do more helmets?

I would like to do a slightly more heretical helemet, and do have a bunch of reference saved for it, but one thing at a time!

So i've got most of the tolerances and how parts join together sorted out now. I've split the 'cowl' (top part) into three sections for medium sized printers (like the one I have) which i'm looking to print next.

I printed a few faceplates in the end. The first at the original scale I designed the helmet at, the second I tried printing a little larger when I realised it would have been two small, and I also tried printing it the 'right way up' in an attempt to get a slightly better finish around the lower side of the eyes. However that print failed as it came unattached from the print bed (should have used a raft or better supports,) but I did learn from that print that it would also be too small for me.

The 3rd print came out a good size I think, it's about 110% my original size. I think I like helmets to be as tight as possible, I don't like the bobblehead look with costumes If i can help it, maybe it's my main experience with building Iron man costumes, and it's made a bit harder with this one as the cheeks come in quite tight to get the shape/profiles I wanted.

005.png

This one is snug, but fits okay though. I might provide a version of the front with the faceplate, jaw, and jaw tube intakes all merged into one and thinned out as much as possible for both faster printing but also if you've got a wide head like me but want the closest fit possible.

006.png

004.png
007.png

Also printed out the Lenses, they fit great. They aren't held in by friction, but they weren't designed to be, the notches are just for alignment to help with gluing them in.

002.png
003.png

Next is printing the Cowl/top part. and then probably I'll print one of the 'ears' and check how that comes together, and then the back plate, then finally i'll tinker with the details like the bolts and pipes.

Last edited:
Dude, this is fire!
Thanks! Much appreciated :)

Got the Cowl printed up now! I printed it in 3 parts, which i've designed to go slot together with 'teeth.'

Really happy with how it has come out, nice and smooth, no visible polygons (i hate seeing that in prints, if the printer is doing a big chunk of the work, might as well print as perfect a curve as the resolution will allow)

I also got one of the Jaw 'ports' (where the tube goes) printed out, really happy with the tolerance on that, it goes in with a little force and is held in by friction.

008.png

009.png

I was a little eager and pulled one half of the Cowl off the bed before it had fully cooled, and the base has warped slightly at either end.
Obviously it's not an issue if whoever else might print this has any patience or a larger printer, but still.
For me it's easily fixed with some filler, but i'm gonna be more patient next time, and add more tolerance to where the 'teeth' that join the two halves meet, just in case. (Although I am very happy with how the marts mesh together:

010.png
011.png

Up next is the ears, backplate, and then finally details!

Thanks for looking :)

Nice touch with those teeth! Didn't notice, but is this stl up for snagging anywhere? Also, also, thoughts on making chapter/imperium/chaos icons for the forehead? ohhhhhhh and spikey halos and legionnaire horsehair crests?!

Nice touch with those teeth! Didn't notice, but is this stl up for snagging anywhere? Also, also, thoughts on making chapter/imperium/chaos icons for the forehead? ohhhhhhh and spikey halos and legionnaire horsehair crests?!
Thanks!
Not yet, once i'm convinced it's ready/i'm satisfied with the quality i'll stick the files up for sale somewhere!
And forehead crests yes! I'm planning on just making the vet skull for now, but maybe chapter symbols too. We'll see.
Not chaos icons though cause i'd like to do my take on an entire chaos helmet!

I'd love to print one of these!
The renders and model look great by the way.
Definitely make a post when you put them up!

I'd love to print one of these!
The renders and model look great by the way.
Definitely make a post when you put them up!
Thanks! Will do :)

Practicing with sculpting in Blender (I've only used Zbrush professionally, and not for years) -in anticipation for a more heretical version of the helmet.

I love seeing damage/implying the structure below, naturally I went for the 'cool eye scar' damage ;)

013.png
014.png

If I can combine these parts back together nicely, I might try and print some of these damaged variants as well :)

Thanks! Will do :)

Practicing with sculpting in Blender (I've only used Zbrush professionally, and not for years) -in anticipation for a more heretical version of the helmet.

I love seeing damage/implying the structure below, naturally I went for the 'cool eye scar' damage ;)

View attachment 340272View attachment 340273

If I can combine these parts back together nicely, I might try and print some of these damaged variants as well :)
Seeing the damaged version makes me want to get one more now lol

Maybe try one where it goes through fully to the eye and with a few distinct different layers, or like some jagged bits poking out of the gash for some depth.

Got almost all the main parts printed out now! I used up the ends of a few reels on the ear as I could be present to swap over the reels, so that's why it looks a bitch patchwork!

I'm really happy with how it is to put it together and how it looks! I spent a fair bit of time reworking some of the forms in 3D and I'm glad I did cause I think they hold up well in the real world! I've also just been experimenting with 3d printer resin as a way to finish FDM prints, so far I really like the process, so I'll probably do the same on this once I have it all printed out.

I'm away for a week so won't be able to print any more parts until I'm back, and I did get the other ear printed after I took these photos, and discovered the opening is a little too small for my head, even with the back panel being removable. So I may look at the 3d files and see if I can make some changes there before making the files available online.

20.png
21.png
22.png
23.png

Shoved a bit of bubble wrap in as padding, so it's sitting a little oddly, but can't wait to get this properly padded and sitting securely!

24.png
25.png

I did also get the chance to print a few of the details, like the ear cylinders, bolts and the left side tubing.

26.png
27.png

So yeah. Just gonna figure out how to make the hole a bid wider/split apart better, and then printing out the rest of the details ready for filling/sanding/painting.

Hey all, I got a bit distracted with a new 0.2 nozzle, printing some smaller scale stuff, but the 0.4 nozzle is back in now and i've printed new ear frames and a new backplate.
I tweaked the model to make the gap wider, and reworked the neck seal to be much thinner. I expect most would swap this out for a rubber or foam seal for comfort on an actual cosplay. I'll still have to hinge or magnetize the backplate, but other than that it fits quite well.

I also want to make some helmet icons, like a skull, and the ultramarine symbol, and finish the damaged frontplate, but those can wait until the base helmet is done. Chances are i'd like to make a few of these, and I have a bunch of spare parts from the iteration on this one i'd like to cobble those together into a battle damaged one in future.

Next week I should have a chance to start working on sanding and gluing the parts, really really looking forward to getting a coat of primer on this guy!

017.png

018.png

016.png
015.png

I'm also prepping the files to put them up on Etsy or something for sale, I'll post here once they're ready and I do!

If you don't mind me asking what did you design it in? looks phenomenal
Thanks! I used Plasticity. It's similar to CAD applications like Fusion 360 or Shapr3d, but the main difference is it's built to be more intuitive for artists and less geared towards engineers. Unlike fusion or Shapr3d however. It's very cheap for what it is (at the time of writing it's about 150$ for a perpetual indie licence) There's a free trial for 30 days and tons of easy tutorials online if you fancy trying it out :)

Good news! I've finally got around to compressing all the files and setting up an Etsy store, so the helmet model is available there:

Etsy's file limit is 5 files, and each has to be 20mb or less, I just about managed to squeeze in all the files!
I didn't want to sacrifice the model resolution as I've found it a pain finishing up other printed files with blocky looking 'curved' surfaces.

Gumroad link: Space Marine Cosplay Helmet 3D Files

Figured out how to render a nice turntable of the helmet to use for the listing too:

Mine is currently sitting in the garage, waiting to be glued together and sanded, i've been working on a mk7 halo bucket and that's been using up all my garage time atm.

In other news next on my list is to finish the 'damaged' faceplate version, and I'd like to take a look at making a crest or two for the forehead.
After that, I'd like to try making another helmet, this time maybe a little more _warped_ if you get my meaning ;)

Last edited:
looks great! I'll pick up a copy here soon. What creator rights are you retaining? Just want to double check.

Also, may a make a suggestion for your Etsy posting?

looks great! I'll pick up a copy here soon. What creator rights are you retaining? Just want to double check.

Also, may a make a suggestion for your Etsy posting?
Thanks, All rights at the moment. If people want to produce the helmet en masse/do a run i'm open to discussing things like that :)
And yes, any feedback you like is very welcome!

On another note, Etsy have just suspended my account and haven't communicated why. My first assumption might be IP, but there's plenty of other space marine helmets on there titled as such so i doubt it's that. Trying to get to the bottom of that/appeal... or I may have to find another place to sell the file.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back