My Mark VI "Sister" Build WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ideally what you need to aim for, is a snug, but not too snug of a fit from the bottom opening of the torso piece. If you feel that the finished piece is going to be too tight, then your at the point where I feel you have 3 options.
1) If you know its defintily too small, then continue to pep what you have and customize the bottom opening. eg. make it bigger, as needed.
2) Pep a new re-scaled piece. (I hate this option but it is an option that can't be counted out) This option would be a great choice if your going for "LOOK" and "FIT"
3) If your unsure that its going to be too small, then continue to pep. Then try it on and see how it looks. (My recommendation) Then decide where to go from there.

Having said that, it's an improvement, as now we can see your chest piece and your shoulder piece on. The shoulder piece does look big when compared to the torso. But then again you are at a cross road to a decision of to continue with what you have --or-- pep a slightly larger torso piece.

Scaling really is a !@#$# but that's where determination, devotion, inspiration and motivation come into play. I'd say all in all... your doing excellent progress.

Cheers! :D

thanks for the quick response Longshot! Im glad that you understand where I'm at with this "issue" right now. I think that if I scale it a little bit larger then it will be practically perfect, my only issue is that I dont know how much larger to scale it.. I did this new one at 340 mm wide. It would be super easy to find a middle scale point for a new one except that I lost the measurements for my first and oversized chest piece! Basically I have no idea what measurement constitutes as to large so I'm kind of blindly guessing and checking. I also dont know what anyone else on 405th that is my height has scaled their chest piece at so I cant use other people for reference.

So I got around to updating my thread so if you wanna see what I'm talking about when it comes to free-handed foam stuff, check it out! :)

There were several female Spartans, such as Kelly and Linda. Kat is also a female Spartan. Speaking of real life, non of the female Soldiers I have seen and none of my fellow Marines who are female wear exposing armor. The exposing of the skin and such is something to draw attention and appeal to people in a certain manner and would not follow the purpose of the Spartan's armor, which was pretty much to be indestructible.

As far as fit, I would go to what fits you. If you make it a size only for looks, rather than what would be a good armor size for you, then you may find yourself being miserable trying to deal with an oddly fit costume all day/night.

There were several female Spartans, such as Kelly and Linda. Kat is also a female Spartan. Speaking of real life, non of the female Soldiers I have seen and none of my fellow Marines who are female wear exposing armor. The exposing of the skin and such is something to draw attention and appeal to people in a certain manner and would not follow the purpose of the Spartan's armor, which was pretty much to be indestructible.

As far as fit, I would go to what fits you. If you make it a size only for looks, rather than what would be a good armor size for you, then you may find yourself being miserable trying to deal with an oddly fit costume all day/night.

Thanks for the feedback Lance. I have no intentions of making "girly" looking armor. I like the bulkiness/awesomenss of master chief's armor. None of the pieces that I'm making are extra small to look more feminine except for the shins, which are no different from the normal mk vi shins except they are slimmer for their length so the fit is better and dont flop around.

So I got around to updating my thread so if you wanna see what I'm talking about when it comes to free-handed foam stuff, check it out! :)
nice build!

Thanks for the feedback Lance. I have no intentions of making "girly" looking armor. I like the bulkiness/awesomenss of master chief's armor. None of the pieces that I'm making are extra small to look more feminine except for the shins, which are no different from the normal mk vi shins except they are slimmer for their length so the fit is better and dont flop around.

For the chest I would only scale up roughly 2-3 centimeters. That should give you enough extra at the opening without increases the width too far. I had a similar problem with mine only in reverse. (aobut 2-3 centimeters too wide at the shoulder) Based on the picture you showed, the shoulders are almost exactly where they need to be for your build so you want to keep them as close as you can.

Hope that helps.

For the chest I would only scale up roughly 2-3 centimeters. That should give you enough extra at the opening without increases the width too far. I had a similar problem with mine only in reverse. (aobut 2-3 centimeters too wide at the shoulder) Based on the picture you showed, the shoulders are almost exactly where they need to be for your build so you want to keep them as close as you can.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply but since I had most of the pieces cut out I just glued them on and guess what, its actually a pretty good size! I dont think that I'm goingto scale up because once the ab plate is on it is pretty much a perfect fit. Heres a pic of it 75% done: (the back is basically empty lol)

Photo267.jpg

with my first chest piece I couldnt even put the ab plate on without it going down to my cod piece! So I'm pretty happy about this one :)

Thanks for the reply but since I had most of the pieces cut out I just glued them on and guess what, its actually a pretty good size! I dont think that I'm goingto scale up because once the ab plate is on it is pretty much a perfect fit. Heres a pic of it 75% done: (the back is basically empty lol)

Photo267.jpg

with my first chest piece I couldnt even put the ab plate on without it going down to my cod piece! So I'm pretty happy about this one :)

Looks like it's coming together nicely! I recommend using craft foam to make the vents on the back, it'll save you a headache. :)

Photo267.jpg

Now that's a positive and inspirational outcome.
Now lets get the rest of it done so that we can see how the completed torso fits.

:)

Looks like it's coming together nicely! I recommend using craft foam to make the vents on the back, it'll save you a headache. :)

The back parts are a PAIN!!! I hate them so much! I'd like to use craft foam, but doesnt that just mean I basically have to cut out the top pieces twice and glue them onto the already completed back? (twice the work to add craft foam?)

Now that's a positive and inspirational outcome.
Now lets get the rest of it done so that we can see how the completed torso fits.

:)

Yeah it is ! I dont think I will be able to work on it tomorrow because of a bunch of college application stuff, but hopefully on thursday I can finish it.

ALSO!!!
For anyone who doesnt know about polythemus's mark vi build, you should all check it out. He just made a video showing some really cool and new ideas for his suit and I think some feedback for him would be great! Heres a link:

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php...t-Victor-101-quot-Mk-VI-Build-WIP-PICS!/page6

I got fed up with trying to sand and detail the two sections in the middle of the back and cut those out of craft foam. I'm confused by what he meant by the vents though.

2 Thumps up

The chest piece looks great! Foam is a simply way to make the back look good IF you mess up. I can understand what they are talking about... but since I am not a pro in fiberglassing- "I'd worry more about making it just out of paper and worrying about fiberglassing it first..

If it turns out alright- No need for foam.. if not- then customize some foam pieces to make it original! I cant spell original... how original...

Anyways, looks like its coming together! Remember to add some kind of support beams inside your pieces before fiberglassing the outside! Your doing great!! Keep up the hard work!!

Here's what I'm talking about: say the upper vent is a beveled triangle shape, Trace that shape on to paper then cut rectangular pieces out of craft foam and layer them. Once you've done that lay the paper stencil over the foam vent and cut your foam vent to the shape of the paper stencil. Glue it in and.. DONE! If that still doesn't make sense I will try to make a short tutorial.

I got fed up with trying to sand and detail the two sections in the middle of the back and cut those out of craft foam. I'm confused by what he meant by the vents though.

I think he just meant the black complicated part as the vents. They sort of look like vents afterall.

The chest piece looks great! Foam is a simply way to make the back look good IF you mess up. I can understand what they are talking about... but since I am not a pro in fiberglassing- "I'd worry more about making it just out of paper and worrying about fiberglassing it first..

If it turns out alright- No need for foam.. if not- then customize some foam pieces to make it original! I cant spell original... how original...

Anyways, looks like its coming together! Remember to add some kind of support beams inside your pieces before fiberglassing the outside! Your doing great!! Keep up the hard work!!

I think I'm goingto use foam regardless of it turning out good, just to add more distinct detail. Idk, well see. And thankyou for the reminder, this time I actually printed out the support beams and plan on putting them in once im done

Here's what I'm talking about: say the upper vent is a beveled triangle shape, Trace that shape on to paper then cut rectangular pieces out of craft foam and layer them. Once you've done that lay the paper stencil over the foam vent and cut your foam vent to the shape of the paper stencil. Glue it in and.. DONE! If that still doesn't make sense I will try to make a short tutorial.

Thanks for explaining! And if you have time to make a vid thats cool and I'd make sure to check it out and use it!

Ah, well I think I'm thinking of the same thing again. I'll try and post a pic of mine in my WIP thread now that I think about it.

Ok so I thought Id just make a quick pic to show what I scaled everything at. This is moreso for myself so that if I ever make another build I can look back for references, but it is also for anyone who wants reference sizes. I know that I, personally, have sized every piece based off of what other people have used for themselves, and that reference scales are super helpful. So here:

Picture8-1.png

dang this looks great =D lots of work since i last looked at this thread, great work =D
btw it looks like you are the master at scaling xD
good luck

Yeah, I'm 6'4" and have above average sized (around) arms. Mine are scaled at 352mm high. I can see where yours would be too big.

yeeeah ill be scaling them down a bit, I still want them to be tall though because in my opinion the shoulders can make or break the spartan look.

Also! To anyone who is interested in this info:

I'm goingto be buying a pressure/moto suit soon for my undersuit. I did some research and I've found several different options that seemed interesting. They range in price from about $35-$90. I was wondering if I could get some opinions about what seems like a good one to get ! :) and I hope that if anyone else was looking for some cheaper alternatives to a fancy pressure suit, they can find one here:

The classic Sette pressure suit, a lot of 405th members use this one, but it is the most expensive:
Picture13-1.png

The "TMS" motocross suit. Its practically the exact same as the "Wow" suit linked above, except for some minor differences in the bottom of the spine and perhaps padding. Thought id throw it in there as an option anyway.
Picture12.png

Another motorcycle / motocross body armor, this one lacks some upper arm pads, and the shoulder pads seem kind of large. The spine however, is nice and its the cheapest one.
Picture14-1.png

I'm leaning towards the second one linked, except for the spine it seems pretty similar to the sette suit at nearly 1/2 of the price, Any opinions??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back