Halo 4 Helmet build

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a molding question for 727: It almost looks like the built-up ridge of dragon-skin might run all the way from the front of the helmet to the back (though there isn't an image of the back to verify). Do you intend to split the glove-mold into two pieces or could you describe what your approach is for the glove-mold's parting seam? Your thoughts are appreciated.

I know the discourse of the forums itself is a marker of community but I think the cooperation of builders like Hyper and 727 really give credence to the idea that this is truly is a community of like-minded and talented individuals. End of sappy comment. Keep up the stellar work, guys!

Really amazing and talented work to both of you. Can't wait to see the first pull. Keep us posted.

Thanks CoolC, I most certainly will post pics.

This is awesome . I can't wait to see casts!

Thanks man, coming soon.

I have a molding question for 727: It almost looks like the built-up ridge of dragon-skin might run all the way from the front of the helmet to the back (though there isn't an image of the back to verify). Do you intend to split the glove-mold into two pieces or could you describe what your approach is for the glove-mold's parting seam? Your thoughts are appreciated.

I know the discourse of the forums itself is a marker of community but I think the cooperation of builders like Hyper and 727 really give credence to the idea that this is truly is a community of like-minded and talented individuals. End of sappy comment. Keep up the stellar work, guys!

Thanks for the kind comments Satchmo! Much appreciated. Well, I'm not going to split the mold in two, I normally put that big mohawk ridge from front to back for one main reason. I'm lazy...lol. I don't like bothering with closing up the gaps when I make the parting line. So, I now, just make the ridge, put a slit all the way around and insert playing cards. The benefit of this is twofold. 1, I now have a big super key all the way around it that will hold the silicone glove mold in place perfectly and 2, I don't have to bother with the closing up of any gaps in the parting line. But, the drawback is I waste more material. It's definitely overkill on the keys, but I rather not have warped castings.

Here are a few pictures of the print layer:
c28b2b11.jpg

b7932286.jpg

Unfortunately, I did get some air entrapment in the print layer, so I will most likely have to clean up each cast in the two spots were the bubbles formed. Hopefully I can fix/fill the bubbles with a little rebound, but It will probably just pop off at this point. At the end of the day though, they aren’t significant and It’s a quick fix on my end. But Hyper is going to brain me.

Sorry Hyper, I am merely a mortal man :p Please don't beat me, I can do better.

Well, thanks for viewing guys and the next pics should be of a casting. Good luck on your projects!

Tony

Looks like the detail is definitely there despite the couple of trouble spots. Nice one buddy. Oh, and p.s., hyper can't do anything to you, as long as you have the master copy of the helmet anyway,lol!:)

The helmet looks great, while I am sad to learn that my giant noggin won't fit into a cast of this lovely piece of awesomeness, I am so happy that the helmet is working out for the molding process.

I can't wait to see what the casts will look like when when the helmet become available. :)

Thanks guys for following the molding process. I appreciate the comments. However, I have some unfortunate news (see below).

Well, needless to say, the mold did not come out as great as I had wanted it to. It has a few air entrapment issues on it and I have a bubble stuck in the 2nd layer in a high detail area that will lead to problems later on. The only advice I can give to people wanting to do this is: Be thorough on the print layer and use small batches of silicone, or you end up with what I have.

Anyways, I am disappointed in how it turned out, but I really can’t do anything about it now. I will most likely remold it with Hypers help later on in February. With that said, here is the cast.

f7199eaa.jpg

4adcf685.jpg

21005f5a.jpg

1ce54471.jpg

54162f7e.jpg

I was hesitant at first to post the pictures, but decided in the end it would be better for the community to see, specifically those that want to mold. Hopefully this helps you learn from my expensive mistake.

Thanks for viewing,

Tony

Dude , don't be that hard on yourself! This is still a awesome job! Those problem spots can be easily fixed with a little sanding and spot putty .

I really don't see how bad it looks. Like JBett said, the problems can be fixed. There is no reason to get rid of the mold. I'm sure there are takers if you decide to sell it.

You're right Tony, that is an AWFUL helmet. What a waste of time and space, why do even bother posting photos of that disgrace??

/sarcasm

lol Seriously dude, if you hadn't said anything, there's no way any of us would have known there are issues with it that are obviously very minor. Looks great. Are the bubbles bad enough that it would be too much work to fix casts, or do you really need to remold it? Anyway, keep up the excellent work as always. :cool

Tony, you are doing an amazing job buddy. Don't let it get you down. The helmet looks great. There's nothing on that cast which can't be easily fixed by the looks of it. I know you want the mold to be perfect, but for now you still have a really nice product.:)

Well the Elite section is still here and needs some new blood, so this is getting moved :)

Fantastic job Hyper! Your skills are quite impressive, and to make such a great looking helmet with so little reference available is quite a feat. I liked seeing every update in here.

And Tony, stop being such a perfectionist lol! Your work on the mold has been fantastic, but I'm sorry to hear it isn't up to your standards.

Congrats to the promotion to Elite Showcase.
VERY well done!

:)

you're right, it's a horrible mistake and you must trash it. give it to me immediately. >:D Mr. Tony, that helmet, might I remind you, is the FIRST halo 4 helmet besides the BlueRealm Studios helm, and they were payed to do that, so I think you should be proud of yourself. you did better than anyone here, that's for sure. :)

Hyper, congrats on getting this beast moved. Very much deserved. You already know how I feel about this helmet, as it is one of the best I’ve seen you produce. You are a master at your craft and truly a pro at producing such detailed helmets. I agree with everyone’s comments regarding the level of quality you produce at. Keep up the awesome work buddy! See you at Megacon!!

@ Everyone, “you had me at hello”. <-- Lousy Jerry Maguire Reference….lol.:D Thank you all for the awesome uplifting comments. I guess I was a little dramatic with explaining how the casting was. Lol, you were probably expecting some kind of mutant frogfish looking abomination…lol.

Anyways, you all have definitely helped with the funny & uplifting commentary. I definitely get the sense of community and I’m proud to be a member here. With that said, Keep on building guys!

Tony

Thanks everybody for the congrats I really appreciate it, now I just gotta hope that 343 don't change the Chiefs helmet before the release:D

@ Blackula, like everyone has said, don't beat yourself up over the mold, You and i both know it looks alot better than some of the castings we seen in the past and im sure the more you mold the better your gonna get plus it looks like an easy fix and i can still get one ready in time for Megacon also thanks for the kind words above I really do appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back