First build: Fallout 3 Super Sledge and Armor WIP (pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sidheman

Jr Member
Hi guys!

First off I wanna say thanks so much for this awesome community. Not only do you have great tips and great people, but you have pretty much all the stuff I need for my builds! lol...

Anyway, I've been working on a set of armor from Fallout for a convention in October, and I decided rather than going with the standard laser rifle, I would rather go big or go home with the ridiculous super sledge. I think it'll look awesome with the armor. I'm having a few issues, though, and I was hoping you guys could help me out.

First, a few pics:

bgaps.jpg

The staff, next to my 4 ft waster (as a size comparison) http://yfrog.com/klbgapsj

9izwt.jpg

The middle section in progress http://yfrog.com/es9izwtj

t0xruc.jpg

The middle section nearly complete http://yfrog.com/obt0xrucj

qn5cl.jpg

The hammer http://yfrog.com/oeqn5clj

bu8i.jpg

All three sections completed http://yfrog.com/obbu8ij

ns3ki.jpg

Super sledge! http://yfrog.com/o0ns3kij

I have connected the sledge and middle sections, but I have not yet connected the staff (or the little extra details and such). As you can see in the final picture, the staff warped a bit while waiting for me to complete the top. All that aside, it's still usable, save for the fact that I am afraid it will crumple on me: the weight of the top is a ton heavier than the staff, and there isn't enough support structure in the staff itself to take that kind of weight. I'm afraid that even after resin/filler etc it'll fall apart on me.

My friends have suggested putting an actual staff in the center, and I kind of agree, I'm just not sure I want to have all that weight to carry around three days. Any suggestions?

Your pics aren't working...
But the link is. Nice work man. Pretty clean pep. Can't wait to see it finished!

Rex out.

Pics should be working now - still pretty new to the forums so I added the linkies just in case. Thanks! I can't either. It's gonna be awesome!

AWESOME weapon choice! Looks sweet as! My advice for the staff it's self is may be try a combination of different thickness plumbing pipe. Did think a wooden brush handle might work but doubt will be thick enough and not sure how you would do the hand indent.

Thanks, drack! I got a pipe that hopefully will fit, but I will try it tomorrow. Anyone have suggestions for a filler? Like a lightweight spray foam or something? Just an idea, though I think the pipe may be enough. We shall see!

Sorry for the double post, but here's an update. I was able to find a pipe, but I had to pad it a bit. They make a 1.5" pipe and a 2" pipe, but not a 1.75" pipe (which would fit perfect).

It may not look like much (besides a mess) but here's the fully pepped sledge:
dp4um.jpg

Also, while I'm here, here's a couple of pics of the progress of my armor:
7jstv.jpg

8iaq.jpg

497rd.jpg

kxdg.jpg

Third pic is the elbow, which I may or may not scrap. Waiting until I've pepped the arm pieces to see if it just gets in the way. Also finished one bicep, but oversized it. Almost done with the helmet and right shin.

Also, many thanks to Roadwarrior! ;)

Update! One more shin pepped!

84jqyt.jpg

I'm about halfway done with the helmet, but I forgot to take a picture before I left for work. While I was working on it, I got to thinking: why not install a camera? Cheap throwaway digital, installed into the gadgets hanging off the front? Any ideas, or has anyone done this before? I would love suggestions.

Also, deadline moved up to September 1, to get ready for NDK.

UPDATE! I've added the final details to the sledge:

jlogu.jpg

There was a close call earlier this week, hence the smudges you see. The idiots I live with decided, despite it not being in the way at all, to shove the sledge aside to get to something else. I had it resting on two chairs, so that it didn't cave or anything despite the supports, but thanks to them a couple spots got smooshed. I was able to recover it (thank goodness) but I was not a happy camper for the last few days.

I will be applying resin and bondo today (provided time and heat in our shed), so I will update this post when it gets done. I'll be testing it on a bicep piece I made waaaay too big to make sure I mix it right and apply it evenly and stuff.

Also, finished another thigh piece. Gonna scrap the other; too small and not as detailed.

7bepc.jpg

Getting there!

Edit: More updates!

xgctq.jpg

Sledge nearly finished resin layer, except the bottom. I plan to do that tomorrow - it's bedtime now. Seriously thinking rondo rather than just bondo to add strength to the top and make it less bouncy.

I know this is like my fifth post or something, but since no one else seems to be responding to my updates.... ;)

Fully rondo'd sledge!

417li.jpg

I sure got a lot done this weekend, but it'll be delayed a bit this month. Work takes most of my time, so the next few days I'll be sanding the sledge smooth. May take a bit to fully paint, especially with expenses, but I'll keep you guys posted.

I don't know why nobody is responding to this, it looks amazing so far. It looks nicely detailed even at this stage and I cant wait to see how it looks after a coat of paint. Keep up the good work man!

Thanks! Glad you like. I'm hoping I gave myself plenty of time, since my deadline is September 1, but with my schedule ya never know.... Biggest setback right now is the armor, since I haven't got it all printed yet.

Been a little while, but time for an update!

Right thigh complete:
skjgo.jpg

Which means both legs, save the knees, are assembled!
pcouu.jpg

Gonna have to work on these, as I'm mostly done with the helmet but it didn't print half the file. That and the rest of the armor has yet to b printed - have a friend who works at a print shop who is awesome and doing it for me to save money, but she hasn't had a chance to get them done.

Tomorrow I'll be borrowing a few files from work so I can clean up spots on the sledge. Next month, dremel!

Time for another UPDATE! Helmet is done.

AjzPxQ_CMAEibC3.jpg

Here's a comparison shot with the helmet I made out of printer paper and elmer's glue (to test size and all that):

AjzP9A0CIAAeNe0.jpg

The quickie one ended up being extremely snug on my head, leaving no room for padding or, heaven forbid, fans and LEDs. The new one I scaled up, but now I think it may be waaaaay too big. Grrrr. Gonna work on the chest next, check size with both, then see what happens.

I really don't wanna make this helmet a third time.....

I feel your pain with the helmet sizing. The feeling you get when you finish working on a helmet that took you two days to put together, only to have it be either too big or too small, completely sucks. But man, that sledge looks amazing! I cant wait to see more of this.

Yeah, it doesn't help that I work every day for most of the day either. Would be fully completed by now if I didn't have to work for the money to pay for this stuff.... ;)

Halfway done with the chest piece, and it seems small to me. I think I'm gonna take a break from pepping and work on shaping/sanding the hammer. If the hammer heads don't smooth I might add some polyurethane to shape it. We'll see how it goes!

Busy week for everything but the project, it seems.... Birthday, work, money troubles, cold and rainy.... Anyway, UPDATE!

Progress shots of the chest:

zonjs.jpg

7ohul.jpg

8p4xg.jpg

I'm literally ten pieces away from finishing it. That's it. Out of glue. Grrrrr...... Pains me to say it, but I don't have five bucks to go restock my supply - only paid once a month. Looks like I'll be putting resin and bondo/rondo on the pieces i've finished and working more on the sledge. Slow work right now with the files I'm using, at least until I can get a dremel, but if all goes well I'll be painting very soon!

Scrounged around and found enough to get some glue. Should last until payday. Meantime, more updates!

Chest is complete!

26syo.jpg

ltmgb.jpg

po1fk.jpg

907lx.jpg

Want an easy six-pack? Only takes a week! :D

Also got the leg pieces resin'd:

j0dj.jpg

g5fie.jpg

So far, irnonically, the chest has been the easiest to pep. However, the shins are my favorite pieces. Just like the way they look and how they turned out.

Anyway, I'd love to have some feedback. I know it's all pep so far, but any and all tips and pointers are most appreciated. I'll be resin'ing the chest tomorrow as I assemble the arms and such, in the meantime, enjoy!

A lot of the difficulty with this build comes later, with the bondo stage rounding most of the edges. It's basically smooth sheets of metal, if you think about it. (Though I swear the chest is basically the door of an oven or something. And the sledge a car engine.)

Also, some UPDATES! One forearm done:

5o0tr.jpg

Some close up details of the most annoying bit:

iwrc.jpg

Working on a bicep at the moment, but I managed to resin the chest as well. Here's a current progress shot on the armor:

r4upo.jpg

And a gag shot!

8o9g.jpg

Yep, it's official: the helmet is too big. Made the cod as well, and it's too small. Blargh. Oh well. While I'm waiting for those to print I'll keep working on the rest. Gonna have to just make stuff until the weekend, since I'm out of cups now too, and Friday is payday....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back