First build: Fallout 3 Super Sledge and Armor WIP (pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very nice pep work. The Super Sledge is epic, really cool looking, can't wait to see it finished!

Thanks! I'm really having fun with this one.

The Super Sledge is goona be awesome, and sinister looking cant wait to see it.

Heck yeah it is! Payday is coming too slow, otherwise I would be done already. I've got sandpaper and large files, but only like 360 grit so it is super slow work.

I was thinking of putting strips of tape around the hammers to round them instead. Thoughts?

Sorry for the lack of updates guys. I've been busting out a set of Mass Effect armor for the release, which I'll post some pics of soon as it's all strapped and stuff, then I'll be back to working on this one.

I tell ya, I'm getting good practice using the dremel on that foam, so when I get to detailing the sledge it should help out a lot!

Finally had a chance to work some more on my Fallout build. Crazy crap happened at home (was attacked by brother in law then blamed for it) so had to move out. Also took a short break making the Mass Effect armor for the release, then someone commissioned me for a weapon for their costume. Should be settled in fairly soon, but got most of the left pauldron done at tonight's craft party!

j4ysef.jpg

Doesn't look like a lot, but only about five or six pieces left to put on that one. After that, all I have left is one forearm, one elbow, one bicep, the right pauldron, the boots, and a new helmet. Everything else is made and resined, and now it's getting warmer! Got new bits for my dremel, so I can also get cleaning up on the sledge. That one really has very little left other than clean, fill, then paint!

I have a larger space, too, so getting this done will be a lot easier.

UPDATE! Fo' realz this time. Left pauldron complete!

t9uky.jpg

Here it is with the chest piece:

mk7zo.jpg

Looks to be a good fit, just needs a little modification in the resin/bondo stage to make sure it stays on. Also need to make the huge rivet thing that connects the two on the front. That'll come eventually here. Slowly getting into the swing of things at the new place, and the larger area to work in has been awesome.

Speaking of which, I also got started on the sanding stage of the sledge!

r9mid.jpg

May not look like much, but the rondo was a real mess, with drip marks and bumps and crap all over. Haven't done any major evening to it yet, but took the dremel sanding disc to it and evened out the major ones. I also popped in Fallout 3 again to double check what it looks like in game, and found out I made the sledge waaaaaaaaay bigger than it should be. The thing should only be slightly bigger than a normal sledge hammer.

That's okay, though. I'll just say I stole it off a super mutant. Swear the sledge is bigger in their arms anyway.

Another UPDATE!

f8aiu.jpg

I know I know, it took ten days, but work has really had me begging for mercy. Haven't been able to really work on the sledge at all either. Luckily, I was able to finish pepping both of these boots. I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel! All that is left to pep is the cod, one bicep, one forearm, one elbow, both knees, one pauldron, and my third (and hopefully final) helmet. It's coming along!

Wow how'd I miss this one. You're Super Sledge looks great. This should be a fun one to watch.

Love the suit and the hammer. And your VGL shirt! I've went to that concert twice and loved every minute of it.

You were attacked by your brother-in-law? That's scary man, at least you're alright. I'm gonna show this to a friend of mine who has a (unhealthy) obsession with fallout. Keep up the good work!

Wow how'd I miss this one. You're Super Sledge looks great. This should be a fun one to watch.

Thanks thorn! Glad you like.

Love the suit and the hammer. And your VGL shirt! I've went to that concert twice and loved every minute of it.

Me too! Love VGL! Bought the DVD the second time to hear all the stuff they never play when they come by us.

You were attacked by your brother-in-law? That's scary man, at least you're alright. I'm gonna show this to a friend of mine who has a (unhealthy) obsession with fallout. Keep up the good work!

Yeah it was crazy scary for a while there. Finally got us to move out, though, which is awesome since the friends offering their space have a large shed in the back they're letting me use for the build! It's great. They're big cosplayers, and help run the local convention, so they totally understand the obsession! Yay me.

Working on the knees tonight - might get a little distracted by FantasyCraft, though. :D

dont know if your still looking for a filler, but i know they sell a water based low expansion foam spray for windows or something. which might work.

dont know if your still looking for a filler, but i know they sell a water based low expansion foam spray for windows or something. which might work.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I grabbed some expanding foam spray from Lowes at random and it worked pretty well. So far it sees to be holding up, but I'm still a bit concerned about the joint between the staff and the rest. It's still pretty week despite the rondo, though it may have gotten banged around a bit during the move.

UPDATE! I was finally able to work some on this, after getting a couple small commissions. May post one of them soon, but it's not quite finished yet. Anyway, I got a knee done:

zs8ya.jpg

Close-up of the detailing:

7d6gv.jpg

And the second elbow:

msevya.jpg

Finally, the current progress!

elymy.jpg

Only six parts left to pep! Left knee, right forearm, left bicep, cod, right pauldron, and helmet! Woooooooo....... Getting down to the end of the mind numbing pep stage.....

UPDATE!

I was able to get two whole more pieces pepped today! Dunno how many I'll finish this week, since I work for the rest of it, but today's marathon session got the second bicep and the cod done!

s08fm.jpg

wujkr.jpg

na9px.jpg

The cod is a little big, but not so much I can't cut it down a tad later. Sooooo close.... Four to go! Forearm, knee, pauldron, helmet! Woooo!

Another update! Second forearm complete!

o4aau.jpg

For those wondering, here's a step by step of the evil random piece that makes zero sense to me at the moment:

31wkb.jpg

fazle.jpg

cq5pm.jpg

43876424.jpg

It's not that it's hard, it's just annoyingly small. Glad I don't have to do that part again. Three left!!!! And thanks everyone who stops by to look at my progress, though few of you comment. Just passed 2000 views! Wooo!

HA! Those small pieces are evil dude! Good Job so far though, it looks very good and i'm really diggin that sledge!

Nice man, those are insanely small pep pieces wtf haha, you'd prob be better off just gluing on some small tubing after the resin stage lol. After I finish my ranger vet i kinda wana make t-51 power armor, so thanks for the inspiration

HA! Those small pieces are evil dude! Good Job so far though, it looks very good and i'm really diggin that sledge!

Thanks! I should be moving on to sledge again soon as I resin/bondo the other parts. I've smoothed some, but it's still pretty bad. More sanding!!!

Nice man, those are insanely small pep pieces wtf haha, you'd prob be better off just gluing on some small tubing after the resin stage lol. After I finish my ranger vet i kinda wana make t-51 power armor, so thanks for the inspiration

Probably would be, but hey those spots are the only real annoying parts and they're both done (yay!). Good luck when you try out the T-51!

It has been several months now, but I've been busy doing lots of other things that have taken up much of my time (stupid day job being the bulk of it all). I finally have an update though!

swghjg.jpg

s77fkl.jpg

Really crappy cellphone pics, but I've finished pepping all but the helmet! Woooo! The end of the pepping is in sight! Here's my current progress on the helmet:

u8pixo.jpg

The first regular paper tester was too snug, the second pepped was too huge, but so far this one seems to be just right. Won't know 'til I get farther though.... Here's to hoping I've got it right this time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back