Halo Cortana Data Chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChefBenni

Hey guys,

this is my first post, so I'll try to do my best. ;)
I'm from Germany, 24 years old and an electrician guy. Currently I'm for two semesters in the USA (CA) so I only got the chance to plan everything on the computer.

As my first project I wanted to start low, so I designed a working Cortana data chip.
But I know you all wanna see pics:

Details:
At first, it's designed to work as a normal SD card for every camera out there, but unfortunately I don't found such a small battery. So it's a little bit bigger than a SD card.
It's got a battery in it with the necessary electronic to charge it every time it's connected to a PC or camera (5V over the USB port).
It has about 28 LEDs in it. 10 blue ones for the shiny ring in the middle, 10 Green one at the connector (the tiny holes) to mimic a functional optical data transfer and 8 LEDs to display the charging status of the battery while connected. These are placed at the 4 hole (2 left and 2 on the right side).
All the electronic is controlled with a Atmel Mega8 microcontroller.
When you disconnect the data chip from a helmet it runs for about 2 hours and does all the fancy bling bling stuff the one from the game does. That was the main goal.
Inside as you can see on the last pic is a tiny PCB which holds all the necessary electronics to charge, light up or transfer the data.
The blue brick is the battery and the big black thing is a 32GB micro SD card.

The size is:
46.73x25.14x3.54mm
1.84" x 0.99" x 0.14"

I'm planing in using it as a real data chip for an helmet camera in the spartan helmet. For this I need to build at least a adapter for the USB port.

The material will be alumide or high strenght plastic. The model will be 3D printed by a company. For the both sides of the housing in plastic it's only 14$ and in alumide 70$!! So I'll test first the plastic :D

If you see anything which should be corrected, just name it.

So I hope your satisfied ;)
Ben

I love this concept and how you have everything planned out! I've always wanted to make an AI chip for my helmet to light up and all that sort of coolio, amazing stuff.

(Whispers: Hey, if this turns out to be a huge success, can I buy one from you? haha)

That's pretty awesome. Hey, where are you getting a 3d print from? I been looking for a place for a while for that.

@ Saber: Of course you could have one, but this thing is not going to be cheap. I think the price only for the parts is around 100$!

@ GothX: i.materialise they got really every material and got an online calculation!

This is an interesting idea, I can't wait to see these done! Subscribed! I wish you luck on the build!

wow this is great XD. My spartan armor looks like a beef up odst lmao but im so going to add this for it XD

So guys I got an update for you. A picture compared with an SD card beneath it! My goal was not to get too big and I think I accomplished this ;)

The last pic is one of the PCB inside the card which holds the LEDs microcontroller, charge controller, resistors and so on. As you can see, it took me some time. About 8 hours to route everything.

Till now, I put about 120 hours work in this project!

Wow, your putting more work into the smallest prop ever then I put into my entire armor. Rock on dude :p

Hey guys,

here to newest version of the data chip. Now it got a blue window ;)

And here a slot for the chip in the helmet:

And for all the people to compare it with a "ok" size helmet:

@thatdecade: jup SD card runs with 3.3V that's why it got 10 pins instead of 8. Two more for the +5V and GND from USB ;)

Hey guys,
after a long time I finally had access to a really good 3D printer!
Here are some pictures what I've made:

Now I need to paint it and build a PCB in it :)

@thatdecade: The connector will be a spring type. I just need to find some in the right layout.

I love stuff like this, covering new ground and creating stuff we've never seen before. I think most of us would settle on creating a non functioning replica but from what I've seen here and on other parts of the internet all you electronics guys are really hardcore.

Love it! Can't wait to follow your progress on this!

And I would love to add one of these to my Halo prop collection! ;-)

I recently noticed that most (or all) of us that have built an AI chip, have used the Halo 3 scale, and this small size is causing problems for installing electronics and internal power. But has anyone built a replica from the larger scale chip, as seen in Halo:CE. It is almost the size of a regular playing card! That scale will be my v2, though I still won't be designing and installing any electronics. :(

I can't say I didn't try!
Here some pics to compare my first version to the newest one, let's call it V4 ;)
As you can see, I had it finished in a bigger size with different battery and all the stuff in it. But I said to me, come on, that's to easy :cool let's do it as small as possible ;)

And here to compare it with the ideal one.

And here you can see the Halo 3 data chip. It's actually bigger then the first one from Halo: CE, but I think it's because of the wireless transfer of Cortana.

Ah, I just calculated a price for the 3D print at Shapeways. It's 22$ incl. shipping. They use the same printer as I used for my prototype, so it's gonna be the same quality.
At the moment the total cost would be:
22$ - 3D print
2$ - PCB (if I order 10pcs)
10$ - components for the PCB
15$ - battery
1-80$ - microSD card
So it will be about 79$ with a 16GB card in it at the moment. But I'm far away from finishing it. I'm still stuck in california and can't build a prototype of the PCB till I'm back in Germany (June).

Does somebody wanna help me with a prototype and the layout?! I'm looking in "thatdecades" direction :D I'm kinda freaking out right now because it's to damn small to get 100% on 2 layers in eagle.

*sniffles*
It's so pretty... But so expensive...
Curse my college life with no job!
And even if I had a job, the inner fibers of my money-spending self would tear me to shreds if I bought anything like this!

I know what you mean. Sometimes student life sucks :(
But if you spent about 200-250h on a project like this, you wanna see it finished and the money doesn't matter ;) But at least I wanna use it as a memory card for a in-helmet camera, so it got a purpose! :D

What kind of help were you looking for? I have eagle drafting and smd soldering experience. Send me an email, thatdecade@gmail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back