Arctic ODST "Timberwolves"

Status
Not open for further replies.

torsoboy

So I've had this idea kicking around in my head for a while about an arctic-drop ODST. It has to happen at some point, right? Regardless of active camo technology and all the highfalutin special scanner tech that would completely nullify the need for camo, there's still always a need for anything and everything that might give the troopers the upper hand in a heated engagement. I thought it'd be interesting to really delve into the visual options a trooper might have in such a scenario, and I've really been itching to try some snake skin camo.

I'm currently only in the concept stage of the entire costume, but having my old molds from my 2010 "We Are ODST" costumes available, I went ahead and cast up a few helmets to work with. Studying up on various "arctic soldier" google search images, I've decided that an off-white scheme is best for the ODST costume, as opposed to all-white. The photo here makes it look a tad more tan than it actually is, but it's definitely more of a cream color than it is white. I've also added a darker section around the visor to mimic the look of the game helmets.

6967611235_6f25245b50.jpg
DSCN5462 by 2StoryProps, on Flickr

Next up, I wanted to do a quick test to be sure my mesh material works. Here I'm using a mesh laundry bag as opposed to the more common fish net panty hose.

6967612575_885abc8d7c.jpg
DSCN5463 by 2StoryProps, on Flickr

I only want the snake skin camo to be on the top of the helmet, so I masked everything off below it. Wrangling the mesh laundry bag onto it and minimizing bunching was a feat. It wasn't perfect, and fish net pantyhose would have probably been a lot easier to manage (though in my opinion, you get a lot more adverse stretching patterns in it if you're not careful).

6821491396_bfbd9192a1.jpg
DSCN5465 by 2StoryProps, on Flickr

Three different colors were misted onto the mesh. After a few moments I removed the mesh to find that I misted a little more paint than necessary. Unfortunately I was unsuccessful in preventing some bunching, but not to worry! With a little selective sanding with a sanding sponge, I was able to dull down the look a bit while also starting the weathering process at the same time. You typically see the snake skin camo very selectively sprayed onto actual military-use ballistic helmets, so I needed to remove some of it anyways. I also wanted to accentuate some of the lines and details on the dome of the helmet, so a bit of sanding on the lines helped bring them back into view. I'm very, very pleased with the result.

6967616107_739b84e00c.jpg
DSCN5467 by 2StoryProps, on Flickr

All photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2storyprops/sets/72157629184015672/with/6967616107/

Reminds me of the snowhogs, snowhornets and snowscorpions on Avalanche, I'm pretty interested to see your take on the rest of the armour and uniform.

That's awesome man! I really really like the method you used to get that paint scheme !

Looks awesome. No soldier would ever rely entirely on high tech gizmos anyways. :)

Can't wait to see how this develops. If you had any concept sketches, I'd love to see them.

Since this project is just something to keep me busy in between drying/curing stages of other projects, progress has been slow. Since the last update, I got the helmet weathered, and a hardhat liner has been installed. I've also installed the wire mesh on all the vents, but that's not shown here. Enjoy!

6850749872_950b40a468.jpg
DSCN5484 by 2StoryProps, on Flickrhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/2storyprops/6996876361/

6850753300_7b0e384b18.jpg
DSCN5486 by 2StoryProps, on Flickr

6850754978_1bffe1721e.jpg
DSCN5487 by 2StoryProps, on Flickr

I'm rather surprised that it only took two screws to hold the hardhat liner in, and that it's using an actual detail on the exterior as the mounting point. It's prevented from rotating by the interior shape and the shape of the hardhat liner butting up against each other. I'm also rather surprised that it allows the helmet to be worn in the correct manner in relation to the "We are ODST" short. That is, my head is seated toward the rear of the helmet, as opposed to the common middle position.

6850761042_e8596fcdd2.jpg
DSCN5491 by 2StoryProps, on Flickr

6850762630_831389b7ea.jpg
DSCN5492 by 2StoryProps, on Flickr

Really nice job on this. I like the paint work, it' different.:D

Hmmm....hardhat liner...brilliant. Something so simple, and yet so perfect. Definitely great use of the K.I.S.S. method.... :p . This is some great work brother, loving the different scheme.

-Matt

looking damn good man. i have wanted to do my own Snow version after a buddy mad one that looked more like a snow trooper then odst...... but keep up the good work man...... and welcome to the Ranks of the ODST's......

Very nice work so far! I like the smaller pattern you got from using the laundry bag, good call sir!
Were you going to go with a matt finish overall?
Cheers, keep'em comin!

Thanks everyone! I'm glad this is going over so well. I'm surprised variants like this aren't more common!

Finished my Legacy Effects ODSTs back in 2010. I should be telling you that. haha This is just reusing old molds.

opps my bad i didnt read that before lol. well anyways still looks damn good. and once im done building so many ODST for The Fallen. i may go ahead and do this

Still loving the Tech. you're using on the paint, the added wear makes it even better. The headliner is pure genius. I can't wait to see what you come up with next. :D

Nice to see another "arctic" themed build. My Reach character has the white and ice color scheme going, and it's what I'm going to be shooting for with my build. I'll be keeping an eye on this. Good luck!

Okay, I know that sgtski and my armor builds will never amount to yours, but I'm doing the ACU ODST, sgtski is doing the desert ODST, your Arctic ODST (WHICH IS SOO MUCH MORE COOL THAN MINE :'( ) Arctic, ACU, desert... Should someone work on Woodland-Kind of like an old BDU? Then I think all the terrains would be completed. Awesome idea for the painting technique.

Very cool build! Can't wait to see more! I really like the paint mask pattern you used!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back