Somedude's HD MKVI Armor Build -- WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

somedude328

So, I became I member here about 4 years ago, and just barely started building the helmet. After 3 days, me and my girlfriend finally finished the helmet. I'm letting the resin dry right now. Sorry for the crappy pic quality. My girlfriend took them with her phone.
2012-01-20004311.jpg
2012-01-20004407.jpg
2012-01-20004500.jpg
2012-01-20004547.jpg
2012-01-20004655.jpg
2012-01-23015433.jpg
2012-01-23015712.jpg

Better late than never as they say.

Pep work is looking great, good luck with your build Somedude :)

Better late than never as they say.

Pep work is looking great, good luck with your build Somedude :)

Thanks, CyberBen! That means a lot coming from you! Any tips or pointers on fiberglassing? Thats what I'm going to do as soon as I get back from the gym. I cant seem to get the "nose" piece, (the piece above the chin on the bottom of the visor) to stay up properly. I don't really know what to do about that....

P.S. How long did your build take to complete? Call me crazy, but I'd like to have mine all the way done in 2-3 months! I would be working on it 10+ hours a day though... Gotta love not having a job. haha

Well your pep is going great! Time and effort are the things you need to make great props and you have it my friend.
Lol I read this title and your name brought back alot of memories :p Do you happen to play a game called Cube 2 with that same name?

yeah your pep is great, it's very clean
keep up the good work man and good luck =D

btw the pic quality isn't bad at all for a phone =P

Thanks, CyberBen! That means a lot coming from you! Any tips or pointers on fiberglassing? Thats what I'm going to do as soon as I get back from the gym. I cant seem to get the "nose" piece, (the piece above the chin on the bottom of the visor) to stay up properly. I don't really know what to do about that....

P.S. How long did your build take to complete? Call me crazy, but I'd like to have mine all the way done in 2-3 months! I would be working on it 10+ hours a day though... Gotta love not having a job. haha

for the "nose" piece tape it from the top inside part to the chin from the outside before fiberglassing, it should hold it in place.

it took me 2 years to complete my build(I'm still working on improving it), but if i was working 10+ hours a day on it, 2-3 months should be good, it all depends on the level of details you want to acheive

looking good so far! i am going to agree with cyberben here, im coming up on 1yr and im about half way there with my suite. if you stick to 10+ a day, 2-3 months is more than enough time to make something of legendary status! as for glassing it, i do suggest using the woven fiberglass mat. its easy to cut so layering is not a problem, other than that, heavy on the resin, you do not want any spots that didnt get resined. what works well is you resin the piece first, then coat the mat on each side, lay it in and resin over it to be sure, and use some kind of plastic edge to squeeze out all the holes, otherwise you weaken the piece and have a but load of bondo work to do after initial sanding. trust me, you dont want that, its not so bad on props, but having bubbles when you re-glass a boat is a hell of problems, like fully sanding down the piece and trying again. and that sucks alot! best of luck to you on the build, cant wait for more!

Well your pep is going great! Time and effort are the things you need to make great props and you have it my friend.Lol I read this title and your name brought back alot of memories :p Do you happen to play a game called Cube 2 with that same name?

Thanks! And I don't believe so. Somedude is a name I came up with in I think 3rd grade when I got my first email address. :)

yeah your pep is great, it's very clean
keep up the good work man and good luck =D

btw the pic quality isn't bad at all for a phone =P

Thanks! I appreciate it! And yeah, the iPhone 4 doesnt do too bad. :)

Pep work looks good!
Nice and clean. Good luck with the build!

Cereal.

Thanks, Cereal! I am in the process of building the leg pieces without edge IDs. I think it looks cleaner and is in some ways easier. I will upload pics later.

for the "nose" piece tape it from the top inside part to the chin from the outside before fiberglassing, it should hold it in place.

it took me 2 years to complete my build(I'm still working on improving it), but if i was working 10+ hours a day on it, 2-3 months should be good, it all depends on the level of details you want to acheive

Huh. Okay, that sounds easy enough. Thanks! and holy hell. Thats called dedication. Well, it shows. Your armor looks awesome!

looking good so far! i am going to agree with cyberben here, im coming up on 1yr and im about half way there with my suite. if you stick to 10+ a day, 2-3 months is more than enough time to make something of legendary status! as for glassing it, i do suggest using the woven fiberglass mat. its easy to cut so layering is not a problem, other than that, heavy on the resin, you do not want any spots that didnt get resined. what works well is you resin the piece first, then coat the mat on each side, lay it in and resin over it to be sure, and use some kind of plastic edge to squeeze out all the holes, otherwise you weaken the piece and have a but load of bondo work to do after initial sanding. trust me, you dont want that, its not so bad on props, but having bubbles when you re-glass a boat is a hell of problems, like fully sanding down the piece and trying again. and that sucks alot! best of luck to you on the build, cant wait for more!

Thanks for the tips and pointers! Greatly appreciated. I always welcome constructive criticism!

I would put the paper visor in to support the helm when you go to resin but other than that it looks great. This will also take care of the "nose piece" for you.:)

I would put the paper visor in to support the helm when you go to resin but other than that it looks great. This will also take care of the "nose piece" for you.:)

Oh... I wish I would have read that earlier. haha thats okay though. I think its turned out pretty good anyway. How did you guys fiberglass the inside of the visor? I'll post pics in a bit.

Also, how many layers of fiberglass would you guys recommended doing, and in your opinion would it be easier and worth the extra money to use some smoothcast instead? Whats your favorite way of strengthening your armor?

Okay! I promised pictures, here they are. I am a little disappointed in how it turned out, to tell you the truth. I think the visor area height isnt high enough, and I think the helmet is too big in general. I remember trying it on, and thinking it looked good, but now, I think it looks way too big. What do you guys think?

2012-05-11172729.jpg
2012-05-11172746.jpg
2012-05-11172800.jpg
2012-05-11172844.jpg
2012-05-11172855.jpg

yeah, sad to say that is a tad too large... :/ the jowls do seam a bit too wide, i dont know, i made the same file, but my jowls never came out like that, odd to say the least. keep your head up and push on through!

yeah, sad to say that is a tad too large... :/ the jowls do seam a bit too wide, i dont know, i made the same file, but my jowls never came out like that, odd to say the least. keep your head up and push on through!

With how long it took me to make the helm in the first place, I have no desire to do it again. Haha anyone know someone that I could just buy a nice detailed moulded helm off of for a couple hundred and paint it myself? Maybe I should just move onto making the other parts of the suit first, then come back to the helm later. Idk. What do you guys think?

Okay, so I guess its time to do a helm rebuild. The previous helm was measured at a 30cm build height, after doing measurements, it seems like it should be more in the range of 26-27cm. From looking at the pictures, does that seem about right?

BTW: I'm about 5' 7", I weigh 190 LBS, and I wear a size medium motorcycle helmet. :)

hey, dont be down, i have personally made this helmet 4 times! my most recent one, and the one i posted pics on my thread, took me only 10 hrs to build. good idea to build other pieces first! and you are on the right track with 26-27cm! mine is 27.5cm to be exact and i am 6ft 2in, with a 7.25 hat size. just stick under 28.5cm and you will be golden! look at it this way, you have made it already, and now you have a better idea of laying out the build to keep it straight throughout! if you need anymore help with sizing your armor PM me, best of luck to you!

hey, dont be down, i have personally made this helmet 4 times! my most recent one, and the one i posted pics on my thread, took me only 10 hrs to build. good idea to build other pieces first! and you are on the right track with 26-27cm! mine is 27.5cm to be exact and i am 6ft 2in, with a 7.25 hat size. just stick under 28.5cm and you will be golden! look at it this way, you have made it already, and now you have a better idea of laying out the build to keep it straight throughout! if you need anymore help with sizing your armor PM me, best of luck to you!

Thanks man. You're awesome. With your helmet, what kind of glue did you use to hold the pep together? Do you use scissors or a xacto knife to cut the pieces out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back