1st project MARK VI ( pic heavy ) update 02/September/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATA

Jr Member
1st project MARK VI ( pic heavy ) update 08/08/13

Just introduced my self so thought would post up some pics of current project
Decided to give this a try and read some interesting posts on here with alot of usefull info .
Visor is just inplace .
P1010714.jpg

Mrs decided she wanted to resin the piece ohhh lol , looks like ive got a wee bit more sanding to do .. glad we ran out of resin :D
P1010721.jpg

P1010720.jpg

P1010716.jpg

other Mark IV i started
P1010694.jpg

P1010695.jpg

Couple of questions as i am looking at building full armour.
Q : where do you buy those clips for the armour to clip everything together ( is there a name for them )

also
Q : best way of adding padding to inside of helmet ?

Any advice is much apreciated and welcome

thanks

dave

Answering your first question: Most people use 2 different types of clips for armor: RE Magnets and Parachute Buckles.
RE Magnets (Rare Earth) are used to clamp the chest piece on the bottom usually to make it easier to put on and off. Also I know of a few people who use them on multi-piece helmets to join the front and back. Parachute buckles can be found in 2 different types usually: Quick release and Heavy Duty. I suggest quick release for any armor going on your legs, and heavy duty for the chest piece and any back-packs.

Padding is also a thing that is normally in flux, as it should be conformed to the shape of your head. I suggest filler foam, which is the soft (egg carton) foam you can get in rolls at Home Depot.

Decided not happy with the helmet so rebuilding , that was my first so now with a little more experience all should be good ;)

Helmet is now ready to resin - will post pics tomorrow much happier with this one ;)
is there a clear way to see how supports go in the helmet ?

Quick question on scaling :

Chest etc is the HD file by flying squirrel ( same as helmet )

read up on measuring and scaling , but unsure on one thing.. when measuring widest part of chest piece , is that STRAIGHT accross as you look or starting at one side using such as a tailors tape do you measure around the front of chest from one side to anotther ?

thanks
dave

any advice is very welcome ;)

Member -"Annanymous" could answer this question easy...\

Sizing is alittle difficult with the Chest-- Mine is perfect for my complete armour, BUT its alittle big around the arms--
I'm not much of a pro on scaling but I gave you the person that should be xD - hope that helps!

Helmet and the shoulders where my worst parts--- Its hard not to warp/mess them up-- so take more time on those =D
Visor installing is alittle difficult too--
Hope your chest piece goes well! I made mine from Foam Mats and slide into it.. Its all one piece (I also have speakers in my shoulders)
I pepped out an entire chest piece at some random size--- then guessed a smaller number and I was happy so I made it.....( I PLAY THE GUESSING GAME WHEN SIZING ) =P

thanks for the reply's will ask Annanymous :D

found a load of led in the shed i forgot i had , although about 50 3mm orange led i have ideas for , 30 5mm white led , 6 blue led 1 inch strip led and some 3mm white led.. should find a use for some of these , all left overs from custom led brake and wing mirror lights ( modifications ;)

and once again all advice is much apreciated

One of the best ways to pad the helmet, longshot x or kevin, did it and i plan to as well, is go and get a cheap motorcycle helmet and strip the padding from that. Itll be quite comfortable and almost immediately ready to attach straight to your helmet. Hope this helps
Keanu

One of the best ways to pad the helmet, longshot x or kevin, did it and i plan to as well, is go and get a cheap motorcycle helmet and strip the padding from that. Itll be quite comfortable and almost immediately ready to attach straight to your helmet. Hope this helps
Keanu

had similar thoughts aswell on this idea .As well as the insides of a hard hat , but much to do at the moment :D

again all comments and ideas are welcome there is that many ways of doing things ..

I used a kids Baseball hat they use--- its got nice padding... and I simply hot glued it-- Hard to get out, but not hard enough incase you need to remove it later..

Keep up the build and you will surely finish =D

Re: padding - I don't know if you have Play It Again Sports where you are, but a used sporting goods store has all kinds of padding, as well as guards and other equipment that you can rip the padding out of. I've had tremendous luck finding exactly what I needed for costuming projects at that kind of store. Good for things to rip apart for hardware, too. Best of all - CHEAP. Good luck!

Thanks for comments ;)

Been working 7 day weeks so not too much going on but wanted the front armour atleast coated on the outside with resin by today as going to Greece - Kos tomorrow afternoon for 10 days :cool

Finished my chest piece,
P1010765.jpg

just front done here so sides arent wrapped around

P1010764.jpg

Chest piece ready for first coat of resin and started on the helmet :cool
P1010767.jpg

P1010766.jpg

P1010769.jpg

P1010768.jpg

P1010773.jpg

P1010772.jpg

P1010771.jpg

P1010770.jpg

10 days away then back to it..:cool

Thanks for comments ;)

Been working 7 day weeks so not too much going on but wanted the front armour atleast coated on the outside with resin by today as going to Greece - Kos tomorrow afternoon for 10 days :cool :

good job so far scaling looks pretty good

keep it up

good job so far. are you going with the standard armor or are you going to do some add ons, like the halo 3 custom pieces?

I looked at the first pic of the chest piece and I thought that was potpourri under it. Then I thought that was a genius idea for keeping the resin and bondo smell down, hahaha.

It's looking great! I'm afraid of scaling the chest wrong and having to redo it lol.

looking good dude! scaling looks spot on too!

for helmet padding, i would suggest buying a cheap motorcycle helmet and gutting it! i did and it feels so good! as far as scaling, pieces like the arms and legas are easy enough, for my chest tho, i measured from the center of my sternum, to the center of my shoulder joint, then doubled the measurement. and my chest came out perfectly sized! i would also like to bring up scaling the boots. just make it to your shoe size! that way, when you wear it, you can wear comfortable shoes and look proper in them too!

also, and this is just my opinion, you might want to think about adding the ab piece to the armor and hardening it with it, so you get the proper curve and look to the entire piece. thats just my opinion, i did it and it looks great. just some food for thought!

also also, if you are going to use magnets, put some padding between them so they dont chip and break, i use velcro to pad it and to give it that extra hold just to be safe.

keep it up man! the project looks fantastic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back