Not open for further replies.

KingRahl

Halo4Magnum.jpg

Modeled in Blender.

2012-07-12175758.jpg

Left side.

2012-07-12175920.jpg

Right side.

This gun was broken into and printed in 6 parts, then melted together with a soldering pen. It took about 3 hours to print each piece, around 18 hours total. Printed with a RepRapPro Mendel using ABS plastic (same as legos). Used about $20 worth of a 1kg 1.75mm diameter spool.

I burned the plastic along the weld marks, leaving it discolored in spots.

UPDATE: I worked on my 3d file for the Magnum a bit to give it more detail. I've had a little trouble with my 3d Printer, but now I have another pistol. One with the details that were missing from the first. I still need a little more bondo work on the first.
2012-08-10114825.jpg

2012-08-10114917.jpg

I went to Hobby Lobby last weekend and found a super casting kit. I don't think there's enough mold in the container to cast this. I'm looking into other local methods, instead of waiting for delivery for something ordered online.

I have my OOMOO 30 on order. I've also ordered gun metal powder to give it that metal look when I pull the copy so I don't have to try too hard with my paint job.

Or you can find the sliced model on page 49 post 483 of the Halo 4 Pepakura page.

Great work sir, I am currently printing out all sorts of fun things with my Prusa and was wondering if you had posted your re-worked stl file of this piece? And also well done!

EDIT

Or as I now see you posted before I had hit the post button, thanks in advance sir!

This gun was broken into and printed in 6 parts, then melted together with a soldering pen. It took about 3 hours to print each piece, around 18 hours total. Printed with a RepRapPro Mendel using ABS plastic (same as legos). Used about $20 worth of a 1kg 1.75mm diameter spool.

I burned the plastic along the weld marks, leaving it discolored in spots.

Rather than messing up your beautiful work with a soldering pen, why don't you go to the local home center and get some ABS cement (for melting together plastic pipes) or use plastic weld from the local hobby shop. Should make the clean up of your model a lot less painful. Beautiful work.

Redshirt

I used acetone to "glue" them together, but the seem had to be dealt with. I didn't want to use body filler at first but when I realized I printed it without double checking my work, and since the plastic is so expensive, I decided to go for the body filler. Small improvements each day finally got me to be ready to cast. Shipping information says I won't get my Smooth-On until next week.

I have the gun metal powder on order as well so I don't have to paint the cast parts silver. I also purchased a can of flex seal to provide a non slip grip

I received my OOMOO 30 Monday. It turned out less than satisfactory. I don't know if you can see in this image, but because I had a leak on my second side, I didn't get a smooth coating on that side.
2012-08-22120651.jpg

My Magnum was all ready to be molded last week,
2012-08-14065123.jpg

but either I rushed it, or I'm just not good with molding.

Both sides of the mold ended up sticking to each other, even with the universal mold release from Smooth-On. Either way, I ended up cutting down the middle.
2012-08-22120624.jpg

That being the first problem, I decided to use it anyway. WRONG! Without the proper support it came out a little crooked.
2012-08-22120746.jpg

2012-08-22120725.jpg

2012-08-22120715.jpg

I think I'll just stick to printing them out on my RepRap from now on.

Send me one and I'll make you a mold like you've NEVER seen! Just let me know!

Mean looking pistol BTW!

I wanted to use the mould so I can add the gun metal powder and get my color. I've decided it would be cheaper to just print them with my reprap 3D printer and paint them. I think I'll sell what I have now and try to get my money back for them. That should at least get me enough money for the gray plastic so I can print in that color.

But how much did that RepRap printer cost you? I've been seeing them on the web in the UK.. and the cheapest one is like 1200GBP... which is around 1800$ or something?!!? i mean WOW!

And that's just for the machine itself. After that comes the plastic and whatnot... How did you come by one?

I built my first one myself. It cost between $900 and $1000. That's with shipping costs for each part. I decided to buy one from the guy who created it all Adrian Bowyer. http://www.reprappro.com/Mendel This one cost me about $770 US and took a month to get to me. I'm rebuilding my first one to match this one. I just need a new hot end and a couple bushings.

There are many different styles out there but it's all basically the same tech.

The plastic is about $50 with shipping for 2.2 lbs. or 1kg. There is a new thing called the plastruder which makes the plastic filament out of recycled plastics at home.

Hey, great link!

Thanks a million for it. I'm not going to be able to afford one in the near future. But it's definitively a lot cheaper than other site's I've seen. The only problem would be the plastic to get that somewhere here in spain...

Great help.

So, how about the programming and using. I mean, I haven't got a single clue on 3D programming or designing... Did you learn before you used the machine? Or did you learn because of the machine? Is it hard to use?

I started learning 3D modeling about 6 years ago. Although I've been interested in it for about 15 years. I started with Autodesk Maya. I wanted to learn for animation and game design. I was going to get into it with other people but they don't want to learn. They would rather play games than make them. Maybe I can use them as beta testers. I went through a couple of the video tutorials for Maya doing what it told me to do. With limitations without buying a full license, I moved on to Blender. It's helpful because I can load the Maya controls since I learned with those already. These two guys helped me a lot, http://www.youtube.com/user/cannedmushrooms#g/p, http://www.youtube.com/user/ward7299?blend=21&ob=5#g/u. Although Jason Welsh had just started putting 3D printer things in his videos I've been researching it for over a year. And I noticed David Ward has started on Pepakura recently.

Wow. you certainly did your homework there! And what do you think of the RepRap? Is it worth it? Not too many problems or faults? Lot of maintenance or other?
I'm starting to get VERY interested by it as here in Europa you can't just get a CNC machine for in home use... And if you do. It'll cost an arm and a leg. Ever seen a chief dual wielding pistols with only one arm or boarding a vehicle with just one leg? No?

Me neither.

But this RepRap thingy seem to be "affordable" for someone making under 1000$ a month.

Even the expensive ones that come "plug and play" still require knowledge for maintenance. If something goes horribly wrong, you might want to know how to fix it.

There are esentially 3 ways to buy one.
1. Buy it part at a time and put it together
2. Save up or have enough money and buy one pre made
3. Pay with credit card or loan and make payments to them over time.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention. If you buy one from RepRapPro, it does not come pre assembled. There are instructions and videos on how to do it all, but read it and understand it before doing it. Things can go horribly wrong if you don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back