Sandbagger's Iron Man builds - Now in STEEL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
always good work ^^ where is the surprise now we have see what you can do ???

Just a joke :) hope with your skill you will add repulsor and REAL jet pack on the back !!!

Thanks guys.

Here's the torso chest and back fitted together.

xfjrT.jpg

5BSVk.jpg

Y2Mhm.jpg

FDB5h.jpg

Can anyone answer a couple of questions for me?

I'm trying to match up the chest to the back. The sides married up perfectly, but the shoulders don't seem to match up. The pep file I used was modelled by Robo3687 and unfolded by Jason02. How do I get in contact with these blokes?

Here's a pic.

kxN5y.jpg

Sandbagger, You can reach Robo on therpf.com. http://www.therpf.com/private.php?do=newpm&u=12134 .
As far as the chest and back go, they aren't supposed to "connect" as such. They more or less hover over each other. You'll probably have to make your own support for them. But I'm sure Robo can tell you for sure. Best of luck buddy!:D
Hot-Toys-Iron-Man-Mark-IV-Review-By-Schizophonic9-07.jpg

Hot-Toys-Iron-Man-Mark-IV-Review-By-Schizophonic9-08.jpg

Can anyone answer a couple of questions for me?

I'm trying to match up the chest to the back. The sides married up perfectly, but the shoulders don't seem to match up. The pep file I used was modelled by Robo3687 and unfolded by Jason02. How do I get in contact with these blokes?

That's where this piece comes in:
v93Rd.jpg

Sandbagger, You can reach Robo on therpf.com. http://www.therpf.com/private.php?do=newpm&u=12134 .
As far as the chest and back go, they aren't supposed to "connect" as such. They more or less hover over each other. You'll probably have to make your own support for them. But I'm sure Robo can tell you for sure. Best of luck buddy!:D
Hot-Toys-Iron-Man-Mark-IV-Review-By-Schizophonic9-07.jpg

Hot-Toys-Iron-Man-Mark-IV-Review-By-Schizophonic9-08.jpg

Thanks heaps mete! This explains a lot and is one of the more useful answers!

That's where this piece comes in:
v93Rd.jpg

Now to figure out how it works....

thanks mate.

One of the biggest things to check before going to the resin stage is to make sure the armour is symmetrical and shaped correctly. This is the fiddly stage. I found that lots of extra gluing of tiny paper tabs over areas that were weak helped tremendously.

1. Placing the armour over a mannequin. I borrowed a very small female torso, so I put a t-shirt on it then stuffed it with newspaper to bulk it out.
Fof7S.jpg

2. When the armour is spread to shape, I found the spine tended to collapse slightly so I wedged a strut in there temporarily to keep it spread the right distance.
DA2tZ.jpg

3. A strut inside at identical points both sides helps shape the torso.
iE3MW.jpg

4. Once the armour is hung correctly, it's time to space the pieces. As vshore100 advised me, the chest and back don't actually meet up at the front, they just kind of float apart. More support will be underneath to connect them later. Until then, it's sticky tape to hang it in place.
0bucN.jpg

5. In places where the paper or joining tab was too flimsy to support itself, I glued tiny card tabs to reinforce the joins.
IuM9M.jpg

6. Some final re-pinching of folds to correct and adjust shape and form before the resin stage. Once resined, there will be no turning back.
EuQmi.jpg

What glue was it that you use? I use a high strength glue stick thingamebob.... But if you put too little of it on it might still let go here and there. Good luck. I very much want to see more.

What glue was it that you use? I use a high strength glue stick thingamebob.... But if you put too little of it on it might still let go here and there. Good luck. I very much want to see more.

Standard PVA wood glue. It's excellent! It sticks fast with a few seconds of holding with fingers, plus there's no worries about getting it on your fingers because you can just roll it of when you are finished.

The hardened neck and collar fitted over the mannequin helps shape the shoulders of the torso.
QmYdW.jpg

One complete coat of resin on the outside. Curing overnight.
LrR1Y.jpg

Seeing your work like that makes me realise just how difficult that build is. I really really really want to see you finish this build.

Proportions all looking good. Bits fit other bits so that's encouraging. I must be doing something right....
5YGU5.jpg

Hinging the plate at the back of the helmet to swing open and allow my fat head in. Hinges are glues and screwed. I think I will also put a layer of fibreglass over them to completely embed them in the helmet shell.
5F2Fh.jpg

nice to see it coming together here, I look forward to seeing the chest and back all finished eventually :)
are you going to go for a movie accurate reactor where you just see the glow or going to do a detailed reactor?

nice to see it coming together here, I look forward to seeing the chest and back all finished eventually :)
are you going to go for a movie accurate reactor where you just see the glow or going to do a detailed reactor?

Not sure yet. I think I like the idea of detailed.

Can't wait to see you wearing the helmet and torso as loving this build. I am looking forward to when I can join you in owning a wearable lid as mine is still in the middle of moulding. Just got one more side of the mother mould to do and then it's casting time :)

Keep up the great work,
Tom.

Thanks to Tom, (Drack) for sending me a link to how to make the faceplate hinges!

OK, it took me two hours to make, not one....

1. Making the hinges for the faceplate, starting with cardboard to experiment and make a template.
ldtJ1.jpg

2. Tracing the cardboard templates onto scraps of aluminium.
GhsdH.jpg

3. Aluminium cut, shaped, drilled and pop-riveted together. After riveting them I loosened them up so they can freely swivel.
CMGh2.jpg

4. Showing where the hinge gets mounted inside the helmet shell.
WAiZv.jpg

5. Position of the faceplate with the hinges in the up position.
RrIDY.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back