Sandbagger's Iron Man builds - Now in STEEL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pepakura assembly of neck and collar nearing completion.

j87ov.jpg

Looking good!

Do you plan on having the neck pieces moveable, or just have a static neck piece?

I think I will cut it into segments once it is fibreglassed and bondo'd. I have some soft foam rubber sheet (very, very soft) to line the inside with that will connect the segments and allow movement

When I started the helmet, I thought that's all I would build so I was prepared for a little risk in short-term toxicity. Now I've made the decision to build the whole suit and maybe more, I've upgraded mask from particulate to organic vapour and toxic gas filters.

1. Prep for resining.
8it5K.jpg

2. Neck piece resined inside and out.
xlUwl.jpg

Question:

I have all these pep files form one unlocked folder.

My question is, are they all from the same suit and compatible? particularly the chest-brace? What the heck is that and what's it for!!??

2hAcl.jpg

Still coming along nicely Sand. The main chestpiece looks like it's going to be a huge pain in the ass though lol

I think that one will be a lot of fun.

I can't seem to post in any other part of the forum to ask my question about the compatability in post #128.

Here is another question:

The chest width default setting is 407mm, while the back is default set at 401mm. Does this mean if I print them out at this scale, they won't match up? Does the width on these have to be the same?

iNIXL.jpg

It can vary from file to file, but these would be made off of the same 3d model, so as long as the scale (at the bottom) is the same (which it is), they should fit/join/etc. together properly.

EDIT:
My question is, are they all from the same suit and compatible? particularly the chest-brace? What the heck is that and what's it for!!??
I daresay by the looks of it, the chest brace is to go underneath, so the main chest has something to sit on (could get a little awkard trying to keep it all on without a heap of padding, maybe?), could also be to give you something to attach a miniaturized arc reactor to?

The files are probably all from the same suit and/or modeller, and if not it's your suit you can have it look however you like.
As long as the pieces are scaled correctly, they should fit together fine.

It can vary from file to file, but these would be made off of the same 3d model, so as long as the scale (at the bottom) is the same (which it is), they should fit/join/etc. together properly.

EDIT:

I daresay by the looks of it, the chest brace is to go underneath, so the main chest has something to sit on (could get a little awkard trying to keep it all on without a heap of padding, maybe?), could also be to give you something to attach a miniaturized arc reactor to?

The files are probably all from the same suit and/or modeller, and if not it's your suit you can have it look however you like.
As long as the pieces are scaled correctly, they should fit together fine.

Thanks so much mate. Hopefully with your advice there I can start printing off the chest and back with confidence.

Additional question before I do: If you look at the picture below, the default width on the chest brace is 290mm, not 401 or 407. As you said the scale down the bottom is still the same, so will it still fit together with the other two? If the chest is the perfect fit for me as a default 407mm, will there be enough room for me and the chest brace underneath?

v93Rd.jpg

I believe, and all my thoughts on this are just thoughts I have NOT built or yet attempted an Iron Man build, that its only meant to go as far as the shoulders or halfway across them and the main chest would stick out a bit further or such. Either way, if you keep the scale it will probably work. By the looks of it, the modeller may have built the suit as one giant suit on a biped in their 3d program and then separated the model for pep.

If you're in no rush to get this all done. You can:

Check other people's threads and see how they've built their suits.
Or build a tester of the piece out of paper (without resinning or going to far) and seeing how it sits on you/how the rest of the armour sits with it.
Ask other people who you know have built an Iron Man suit/the same suit before.

Irony being I'm now currently watching the Iron Man movie (I think maybe subconsciously after reading your thread I decided to put it on).

Good luck and happy Building, Squish

EDIT: After rereading your post, the reason for the difference in widths between the two chest pieces is because the front piece goes out a little bit on each side past the bit that connects to the back piece. Pep defines the width as if the whole model was inside a cube (or at least a rectangular prism). Each side of the cube can be seen to lie on a different axis (x, y, z). The width of the piece in pep would be, for example, the length of the cube along the y-axis.

(^This might be a little uncomprehensible, but you just need to know that as long as the chest pieces have the same scale (at least, for this model) then they should connect fine once they've been put together).

I believe, and all my thoughts on this are just thoughts I have NOT built or yet attempted an Iron Man build, that its only meant to go as far as the shoulders or halfway across them and the main chest would stick out a bit further or such. Either way, if you keep the scale it will probably work. By the looks of it, the modeller may have built the suit as one giant suit on a biped in their 3d program and then separated the model for pep.

If you're in no rush to get this all done. You can:

Check other people's threads and see how they've built their suits.
Or build a tester of the piece out of paper (without resinning or going to far) and seeing how it sits on you/how the rest of the armour sits with it.
Ask other people who you know have built an Iron Man suit/the same suit before.

Irony being I'm now currently watching the Iron Man movie (I think maybe subconsciously after reading your thread I decided to put it on).

Good luck and happy Building, Squish

Thanks Squish. I'll see how it goes. Watch this space.

Squishy is right about the scale factor being the same it means the chest and back will work together fine.

Tom.

I think I will cut it into segments once it is fibreglassed and bondo'd. I have some soft foam rubber sheet (very, very soft) to line the inside with that will connect the segments and allow movement

Mind if I steal this idea to test out?

I'm trying to figure out a way to join my abs... XD

So, if the chest is 407mm and I increase it to say - 427mm wide, then do I have to increase the back and chest brace by the same factor (increase both by 20mm)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back