(Finished!) Halo 3 Legendary Helmet Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

spn phoenix 92

Hello all, this is my first topic on the forums since I joined. I'm not ready to do any pepping yet, still got more research to do before that. In the meantime, I thought I'd have some fun messing with my friend's old Halo 3 helmet. When Halo 3 first came out (we were 15 at the time) he had the helmet and we were so excited to try to wear it we took it apart and made it fit, but I didn't do such a good job. So it just came out of hiding from being lost for so long he asked me to fix it up for him. I just started working on this a couple hours ago.

Here's what the beauty looked like before I effed it up (not said helmet, but exactly like it.)

0818102311_zps4299a9d9.jpg

This is what I tried to do to it. (I forgot to take a picture before I started working on it.)

images1_zps1c8089e5.jpg

Here is what he wants me to do

images1_zps53a8d54f.png

Started patching up holes and scratches with spot putty. (I freakin love this stuff!)

DSCN0410_zps52625ee7.jpg

Got the top finished

DSCN0406_zpsc900b542.jpg

DSCN0407_zps43f9dfc2.jpg

Here are some others drying.

DSCN0408_zps9b46abb8.jpg

This is the paint I'm using.

DSCN0409_zps0b6b43e1.jpg

So by tonight I should have all of the pieces painted. After they dry I will add the yellow stripe to top and reassemble, then do some weathering. Let me know what you guys think! :D

Alright so I got the painting mostly done, but when I did my last pieces, this happened. I don't know what happened, I did every piece the same, roughen up with 220 sandpaper, wipe off dust with tack cloth, and use paint. Could someone please help me to fixing this?

DSCN0414_zpsdcc20d12.jpg

Hey man! The paint looks good! I can't wait to see what you do with it! Welcome to the 405th , by the way!

-Jacob

Alright so I got the painting mostly done, but when I did my last pieces, this happened. I don't know what happened, I did every piece the same, roughen up with 220 sandpaper, wipe off dust with tack cloth, and use paint. Could someone please help me to fixing this?

Did you apply any primer before applying the paint?

The back of the can said that no primer is needed for plastic, just to sand down the suface before using. I applied an extra layer of apint and it pretty much fixed the paint issue.

Next step is to paint the visor!

Good to hear! Looking forward to seeing this.

So I found out why the paint was weird, the can says you are supposed to sand off all the paint first, and that piece wasn't sanded enough. I got it looking better and all the pieces are done painted, just got to let the primer dry on the visor before I paint it with some amberish-gold paint I found at the local hardware store.

DSCN0419_zps33b2dda0.jpg

DSCN0420_zps8c14128a.jpg

DSCN0421_zps79486fd9.jpg

You can't even tell there used to be a big hole drilled through here, spot putty is amazing!

DSCN0422_zps8b1b62ad.jpg

Got the visor primed up.

DSCN0423_zpsded8195c.jpg

Here's the paint I found, much closer to the visor color than the gold paints you find at walmart.

DSCN0418_zps234761ad.jpg

I also have some transparent amber plastic that I will use to view through the middle of the visor.

poor helmet. i could never do that to mine. why dont you just build it instead of destroying that?

So I'm finally all finished painting, just got done taking the masking tape off of the top after letting the yellow paint dry. Painting off sections has always been hard for me to achive, but I'd say it turned out alright this time.

Here is what I was trying to achive.

DSCN0430_zps0194262c.jpg

DSCN0425_zpsb9967449.jpg

DSCN0426_zpsee34f47c.jpg

Here is the end result. Not perfect but I still feel like it's good.

DSCN0432_zps0b56ec5b.jpg

DSCN0431_zpsa0a11875.jpg

DSCN0436_zps88958537.jpg

DSCN0435_zps492f301b.jpg

DSCN0434_zps3897207a.jpg

There is some spots of sticky residue left over from the tape, anyone know a good way to remove it without messing up the paint?

Now I've just gotta let everything sit for a week, then I'll put it all back together and start the weathering. In the meantime, expect to see a new topic of a certain Halo related project I'm starting. ;)

Thanks everyone for the support. :D

So the wait continues until I can reassemble the helmet and start weathering, which will be able to done on wednesday. So anyone know how I can safely remove the sticky residue left over from the masking tape?

Being totally new to this sort of thing, I cannot speak from experience... But what sort of grit sand paper did you use on the plastic before painting? Personally I would've used a higher grit paper just to get it a lot smoother... It has a bit of a rough surface look to it, which does resemble plastic. Metals are typically smooth and glossy in appearance. It may still possibly work to go over the paint with a ultra high grit paper (or maybe even a wet-and-dry paper) just to smooth it all out. It would just remove some of the high areas in the paint.

As for removing grease from a painted surface? I'm not entirely sure. I would've thought that alcohol could work, but there's probably a good chance that it would strip the paint as well.

It looks good so far though. I haven't heard of people taking apart the Legendary helmets since 2007! Mine is still sitting on the shelf!

Just looked at the pictures again, Your touchup paintwork is quite good. I assume you used a brush to touch-up alont the yello strip?

Just looked at the pictures again, Your touchup paintwork is quite good. I assume you used a brush to touch-up alont the yello strip?

No I just masked off the blue with masking tape and used Sun Yellow Krylon Fusion plastic spraypaint. I sanded and primed the stripe prior to painting as well with 220 grit and Krylon grey primer.

BIG UPDATE!!!

After a long week of waiting for the paint to fully dry, I have put the helmet back together!

DSCN0487_zps34fe68d0.jpg

DSCN0488_zps7372c068.jpg

DSCN0489_zpsbda33cd3.jpg

DSCN0491_zps9b3f38e3.jpg

DSCN0492_zpsca7f06e2.jpg

Next step is to add weathering/battle damage, then finish it up with electronics and padding. :D

Oh yeah, and does anyone know what I can use to get the sticky residue off from the masking tape?

Oh yeah, and does anyone know what I can use to get the sticky residue off from the masking tape?

You should be able to take a bit more masking tape, lightly put it down over the residue and quickly pull it up. That usually takes up tape residue when I'm working on various projects (works especially well with duct tape residue).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back