Mark VI Helmet build (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

surename

Jr Member
Well after quite a few months of working off and on and this pep going way to slow I finally finished and can move on to hardening. Unfortunately there is snow on the ground and I don't have a shop so I have to wait for either the snow to melt or for warmer weather. Here are a few problem areas I have. Any suggestions on how to fix them would be greatly appreciated.
S5000050.jpg

S50000393.jpg

S50000353.jpg

The lights I just decided not to pep to late. Some of the numbers aren't matching up in places but it's not affecting the look to what I can see.

Looking good so far dude - keep it up. And don't worry about the minor imperfections you've got there - that'll all be sorted out by the time you resin and bondo that baby ;)

Thanks man. I won't worry to much about them, I'll fix them soon enough. Still a bit cold here to do any hardening though.

Good to know you aren't trying to harden at this time of year. It's also good you pepped the helmet visor, as that's a common mistake I see. A very good pep, I must say. I must ask, what's with the markings on the helmet? Are those markings there merely for you to get a good idea about what the helmet looks like?

Yep, I"m going to mark out areas that need more detail, then when I get to the bondo step I can tell where I need to add more. Plus I plan on detailing my visor so I was just marking it out from boredom. Thanks for the compliments on my pep.

No, this is about my third pep. I was working on my army of two mask along with this one but I finished that one a month ago or so. This is a stand alone piece for now though. I"m thinking of trying to harden soon, I have an old animal carier outside I've been using for a hotbox, it can get to summer temps inside so I think I will be fine on curing.

Thank you, it rained today so I may not get to work on it again, and a dentist appointment has me feeling under the weather. Hopefully I'll have an update for you lovely people soon.

Update time! I re peped one of the re breather things or whatever they are because I wasn't happy with the way the first one looked.
S5000010.jpg

S5000016.jpg

Then I proceeded to add supports on the inside. I've never used cardstock for supports but hopefull it will work out well.
S5000011.jpg

This piece took out some of the warping I had problems with.
S5000006-1.jpg

S5000012.jpg

Well that's all for now. I'll start on Resin when this weather clears up, it's been real shity lately with all the rain and cold weather. Thanks for everyone that is looking in on this I hope I'm posting something interesting here that most of you will like.

Great pep work dude :) I personally use cardboard for support because of it's rigidness, but that's just my two cents. Also is that ROBOGENESIS's model? Good luck.

I used the Robogenesis file on my v1.0 helmet & don't really care for the 'rebreather' - it didn't help that my pep job on them was pretty poor :(. I am probably going to end up cutting them out and replacing them with the cable organizer tubing that seems to be popular with some builds - will probably glue in a foam 'box' to support it, or just make one from pepakura. Your helmet looks good - I feel your pain about the weather hindering the resin part of the build...

I used the Robogenesis file on my v1.0 helmet & don't really care for the 'rebreather' - it didn't help that my pep job on them was pretty poor :(. I am probably going to end up cutting them out and replacing them with the cable organizer tubing that seems to be popular with some builds - will probably glue in a foam 'box' to support it, or just make one from pepakura. Your helmet looks good - I feel your pain about the weather hindering the resin part of the build...

Yeah, I'll most likely use some pool tubing that we have in the shed for the rebreather things, it looks good on other people's builds so why not mine huh? Thanks for the compliment I hope you get good results from your build. I was going to use the peped rebreather as the support and epoxy the piping onto it but I'm not sure how that will work till I get to it. Yeah it's being quite a pain today it was 20 degrees this morning while I was in school. Hopefully the sun will come out though I'm getting anxious.

Updte!!! It almost got into the 50's today, so I hooked up my heater and warmed up my hot box to bring you this. Not much but it's a start on hardening. I also dropped the thing so I'll be sanding out dirt and parts of pine needles, what fun.
S50000042.jpg

S50000032.jpg

S50000022.jpg

I'll hopefully get the rest of the helmet resined this week but no promises arkansas weather is pretty hormonal. Plus I'm also doing two coats of resin so it will take a while with the weather the way it is. That hot box works wonders though due to me being able to keep it at 75, the resin cures evenly which I'm sure helps with it not warping. When I pulled it out after about 30 minutes of it being in there there were no sticky spots. Also I didn't have to worry about it since it used to be a pet carrier and it had holes in it, I just went inside out of the cold and listened to music while it cured. Here is a picture of it.
S5000004.jpg

S5000005.jpg

That's it!! For now anyway!! Hello everyone dropping in and thanks for looking at my work so far. Have a nice day or night depending on when you are looking at this.

Yes, that's a typo on my part, if you look at my signature you can tell I do know the difference. I can't change that field though so I have to run with it. Thanks for the compliment, I hope you continue visiting my thread. Everyone's feedback is much appreciated.

Hi if there are any moderators that stumble across this thread could you do me a favor and change the title of this thread from "mark IV Helmet build (WIP)" to "Mark VI Helmet Build (WIP)"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back