Our first Mk VI Builds. His/hers - WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

VVarMonkey

Hello 405th! It's build time!

By way of introduction, JetFireRR and I (VVarMonkey) have been dating for some years now and happen to share a common interest in the Halo universe. So when he decided to build his suit in November and found the pep version didn't fit (he forgot the scaling step), I thought heck I'll try it on. Fit like a glove! Now we're both neck deep in our respective builds, and thought we'd simplify things by making one build thread for the both of them.

This is our first experience with building anything from Pepakura and thank so many here on the forum for creating so many how-to's and don't-do threads. One major issue we are battling is that we are both perfectionists and get caught up in the details a little too much... okay, WAY too much!

The goal: Two Mark VI suits, his and hers, to be completed by mid-July. Not sure if that's going to happen but heck why not? I'm starting this thread to hopefully kick our butts in gear to start rolling out the pieces and maybe float some of our more off the wall ideas to the 405th community at large. When this is all said and done we hope to have two super awesome sets of armor.

Work started on my chest first, and here are some pics on the progress that's been made:

P1060043_zps211d3586.jpg

I don't have a pic of the chest completely finished in pep stage. I'll remember to take photos of the pep work.

IMG_0677_zpsa729201e.jpg

Here's mine after filing down some of the edges...

IMG_0683_zpsfd1bd7bd.jpg

A little more progress!

IMG_0751_zpsb3581a01.jpg

Had some problems with warping; nothing a bit of bondo can't fix.

And it's up!

Just to give a little insight as to our work space..... it's tiny!
:D
IMG_0670.jpg

IMG_0671.jpg

As Ahnna has already stated; we are trying to build two MkVI suits by July, and hopefully in time for Comic-Con. Her chest piece started out as mine yet about 4 hours into gluing I came to the realization that I forgot to scale the original Flyingsquirrel chest file to my frame. I'm 6'4" 215 and she's 5'9" 125(ish)... Off by a bit huh?! Guess I got very lucky that it fit her with some minor adjustments.

After assembling her chest piece, It was brought to my attention that an updated rendering/model of the Mk.VI had been created for HALO 4 as an unlock for completing the game on legendary. From that point I was able to capture a few stills to import into Blender and slowly create a 3d render of the updated MkVI chest. I am planning on a H3/H4 hybrid suit using components from both renditions of the MkVI. More to come on that later!:cool

Early preview of front chest model:
H4MkVI.jpg

We would love feedback and any support we can get; motivation is key!

+1 from me, the chest is looking good. Can't wait to see more!

Thanks! This build represents a lot of first for us. The HD Flyingsquirrel chest was the very first thing either of us had ever pep'd in our lives and the chest I'm modeling is the first thing I have ever done 3d-wise.

I can't wait to see how this build turns out +1 sub from me as well.

We can't wait to see how it turns out either! We've gathered a lot from the forum here and hope to implement our own talents in new ways (I'm a motorcycle guy).

Size differences! Mine/Hers.

Bit more progress to report:

Resined our shoulder/bicep pieces and applied first rondo coating to the interior for some added strength. Ahnna's components are on the left and mine are on the right: hers fit like a glove yet mine are a little tight; dremel time!

P1060712.jpg

P1060710.jpg

I also found that if I heat the part in it's semi-rondo state, I am able to bend and flex it to better fit the contour of my body. Seems to work very well for correcting areas that have warped inwards.

More to come!

Nice start and excellent progress report. July is a reasonable and achievable deadline. Cant wait to see more pics as you progress further.

Cheers! :)

Nice start and excellent progress report. July is a reasonable and achievable deadline. Cant wait to see more pics as you progress further.
Cheers! :)

Things are definitely coming along and hope to keep these updates coming on a daily basis (if I get something noteworthy done). Thanks a lot for your support; seeing pictures of your finished product was what made me drive to the store to get 110lb paper to start Pep!

Nice work! Your work is looking really tidy so far, best of luck with the rest of your build. :) I'm striving for a July deadline for two suits as well.

This build is looking great so far!

When you say reasonable and achievable, how much work per week do you mean?

The amount of work per week isn't as important as the efficiency or quality of the work per week. Everyone works at different paces, and some spend more time back tracking than trekking forward. The OP of this thread, seems to be doing well, and his goal seems reasonable and achievable, for him. Not everyone.

Fair enough. I ask because the three of us are working on our armor together, trying to get it done for Comicon and wondered if there was a general idea of how many man hours we should consider putting in to meet that goal.

The armor is looking great so far you guys. Good stuff and keep it up :) My wife and I are also doing the same thing. We're each building our own suits of Halo Armor and we both too also hope to have em done by the Summer. Cause we also plan on going to Comic Con this year with them. Small world huh? LOL! Good luck! Stay motivated.

We can't wait to see how it turns out either! We've gathered a lot from the forum here and hope to implement our own talents in new ways (I'm a motorcycle guy).

Me too I just released me 1996 CBR 600 F3 and am looking to get another bike soon, what bike do you have? Also, great job on the armor its looking really good. :)

Nice work! Your work is looking really tidy so far, best of luck with the rest of your build. :) I'm striving for a July deadline for two suits as well.
Your admiration is much appreciated given the quality of work achieved in you own builds:D. Still amazed how smooth your bondo/surfaces come out: what's your secret?!

Cheers!

This build is looking great so far!

The amount of work per week isn't as important as the efficiency or quality of the work per week. Everyone works at different paces, and some spend more time back tracking than trekking forward. The OP of this thread, seems to be doing well, and his goal seems reasonable and achievable, for him. Not everyone.

Thank you for your support!

It has been rather difficult for me to adhere to a build schedule given that this project is just too much fun to explore; I want to do everything at once and suddenly have several half done projects on the bench. Ahnna on the other hand doesn't have this problem. She adds discipline and order to the chaos that is my attention span!;)

Fair enough. I ask because the three of us are working on our armor together, trying to get it done for Comicon and wondered if there was a general idea of how many man hours we should consider putting in to meet that goal.

What about woman hours huh?! Those go twice as far don't they?:p

I'll take those any day!

Hoopla has been an awesome motivator as of late and has helped to keep my overly enthusiastic plans within reality and not in orbit. Thanks broha!

The armor is looking great so far you guys. Good stuff and keep it up :) My wife and I are also doing the same thing. We're each building our own suits of Halo Armor and we both too also hope to have em done by the Summer. Cause we also plan on going to Comic Con this year with them. Small world huh? LOL! Good luck! Stay motivated.

I'm glad to hear that other couples are teaming up on such an awesome project together; for the same event no less! Let's keep our finger crossed that we can all get passes and get these build together at Comic-Con this year. Thank you and good luck with your builds! (they look great by the way)

Me too I just released me 1996 CBR 600 F3 and am looking to get another bike soon, what bike do you have? Also, great job on the armor its looking really good. :)

Ah, another cycle cycle guy! I currently have two 06 CBR1k track bikes ("Jet" and "Fire" ;)) which have sadly been mothballed for the winter awaiting track season to reopen this spring. Good luck on your next bike and stay safe! Your compliments are much appreciated! (I like the MkV build you have going!)

Update!

Hey all!

Neither of us have posted much this weekend yet I assure that time is being put to good use :cool.

Hers (VVarMonkey): Pep'd both forearms and handplates; currently putting some support struts together to get them ready for resin phase.

Mine (JetFire): Modeling continues of the new chest plate, slow and steady.... almost there! Hats off to all those modelers out there who have contributed to the forum; skill is required.

Request: I would like to do a test run with the new chest and would like some input from other seasoned modelers and individuals interested in unfolding this thing. PM me if interested!

Ah, another cycle cycle guy! I currently have two 06 CBR1k track bikes ("Jet" and "Fire" ;)) which have sadly been mothballed for the winter awaiting track season to reopen this spring. Good luck on your next bike and stay safe! Your compliments are much appreciated! (I like the MkV build you have going!)

Thanks for the compliment. I think my next bike is hoing to be either a GSXR 750 or a CBR 1k....i'm undecided as of yet. You stay safe as well.

Update to the Update!

I know Ian already posted that I had finished pepping my forearms and handplates, so here's proof!

P1060729_zps1c83df40.jpg

Quite happy with how well these scaled

The wrist openings look a little funky because I left one of the pep pieces off and didn't glue the inside of the arm completely. That way I can slide it on and off as needed, and it will be easier to attach the support structure as soon as I get around to making one.

P1060732_zps60e52ccb.jpg

Quick test fit...

Just waiting for the new resin and bondo to come in the mail so I can start hardening these babies. More progress pictures coming soon!

Another modeling update for the fans out there!

Model shown is not complete; some of the structure is temporary for demonstration purposes only.

E6tcbnfl.jpg

To do list:
  • Define chest plate
  • Incorporate back/chest latch
  • Model chest guard
  • Model shoulder towers
  • Model ab-plate
  • Improve scaling.... I know, it needs work!

Fine tuning is in the works!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back