Frozenottsel's Spartan 4 Scout Build WIP - Foam (Very Picture Heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

frozenottsel

Hey all, my name's frozenottsel, but feel free to call me by my real name, Andrew.
I've made some "first try" attempts at armour building with both paper pepakura and some foam (Deadspace 3 N7) but this is my first real build, and I may redo or come back to it some time even after it's finished.

Now for some house keeping:
1. All armour pieces except for those specified have been done by eye and hand, any pieces done off pepakura files have been files from the Halo 4 pepakura file database here on the 405th.
2. As to why I'm using foam instead of paper. I've tried paper and found it laborious and time consuming, while foam seems to be a bit more creative and flexible both literally and metaphorically.
3. I'm not sure if it's to any interest but the tools I'm using are x-acto knives, pencils, rulers, paper, and a heat gun. As for the foam, it's 1/2" EVA playmat foam, 4mm craft foam, and some 2mm craft foam.

Now on to the build so far (as of July 2nd, 2013)

I've also done a video overview of my progress so far if you'd rather watch it than reading the post, both have similar amounts of detail and explanation though.
Video Update 1:
Video Update 2: Coming Soon

Edit: As of Nov/2013 here's how the build is going so far:
DSC02181_zpse4cdd252.jpg

Here's a quick look at my in game Spartan that I'm basing most of the design off of:
ScreenShot2013-07-02at60318PM_zps3f655522.png

First were the shoulder plates, based off the Scout shoulders, although my in game character has one Air Assault and other other Scout, I opted for both Scout just to save time on cutting parts.
DSC01623_zps3af42b3c.jpg

Curves where formed with a heat gun and pieces are glued down with hot glue.

Final product:
DSC01623a_zps91c45776.jpg

The shoulder plates are held onto my biceps through wrapping pressure from a velcro latching system.

Last edited by a moderator:
After I finished the shoulder plates I moved on to the Torso piece:

For large complex pieces what I tend to do is take scrap cardboard and shape it into a prototype of the final result. This gives me a good idea of what the final product will look like and gives me a good way to later map out and precisely cut out the self made templates.
DSC01624_zpsa08809af.jpg

Primary result after producing the foam version:
DSC01625_zpsfd5ff5be.jpg

Added armoured strapping pieces (yellow foam) and begun adding detailed curves and pieces:
DSC01631_zpsd0358edc.jpg

Using the 3mm foam to add extruding armour layers:
DSC01636_zpsd4b4d48d.jpg

After the front torso piece was finished I moved on to the back piece.

Initial prototyping, using images from the Spartan Ops episodes for reference:
DSC01639_zpscab483c9.jpg

Seems to work alright:
DSC01640_zps31d03392.jpg

Using the folded paper technique (used for pretty much all parts and pieces in this build) I was able to trace out half of the prototype on a piece of paper I folded in half, made corrections, cut it and unfolded to reveal a perfectly symmetrical template.
DSC01641_zpsa05f5987.jpg

The prototype next to the final cut:
DSC01642_zpsef5a795c.jpg

Primary fitting of the back piece to the front torso piece, looks good! (some changes have been made since the taking of this picture):
DSC01643_zps9bdc56e1.jpg

Adding more details such as shoulder plates and armoured strapping systems to the back torso piece:
DSC01645_zps50c035b9.jpg

DSC01647_zps8ffb63c3.jpg

More added detail to the back torso piece:
DSC01655_zps2153feac.jpg

Here's a quick look at the internals of the torso piece, I've used a velcro strapping system and there's mapping for the El Wire when I get to it later.
DSC01648_zpsb6033cb1.jpg

Torso piece isn't done yet, but I'm taking a break from it and moving on to the forearms.

Upon examination of the 405th's Halo 4 file data base I couldn't find any XV-27 Shifting forearm files, so I decided to go with the only files that were available, the Recuit forearms. I was very quickly dis-satisfied with the way the Recuit Forearms were shaped as well as with their size and fit, so I decided to wing it by hand and eye with the Recruit template and custom build my own XV-27 Shifting Forearms to which I was very satisfied with the final results.

My custom XV-27 Shifting forearms next to the only Recruit Forearm i ever made:
DSC01656_zpsee9683f5.jpg

Finished result of the XV-27 Shifting Forearm set, I have to say I'm probably happiest with these more so than with the torso piece so far :D
DSC01658_zps539c395a.jpg

At this point (which was back in mid-May) I was beginning to run very low on the foam I was using to I used what was left to make the cod/abdomen piece and the butt piece.

DSC01754_zpsee359fdc.jpg

DSC01755_zps69c224a5.jpg

After finishing the hip/thigh pieces (mid-June) I have officially run out of the foam I'm using to build the main pieces of the armour and so I thought it would be best to take a break here.

Using the suit I use for scuba diving I realized that is makes for a really nice looking undersuit.

And so here's how the armour looks overall as of July of 2013 (project started in May of 2013):
DSC01751_zpsb59061e6.jpg[/URL[URL=http://s1296.photobucket.com/user/frozenottsel/media/Halo%204%20-%20Spartan%204%20Armour%20Build%201/DSC01753_zps79675cc5.jpg.html]DSC01753_zps79675cc5.jpg

I'm digging it mate! I congratulate you on your patience with the foam. I lack that myself. How are you keeping it attached to your under suit?

This is amazing!!!! Props to you bro! I tend to give people more respect when they free hand their builds like me. Don't stop building!! I'm dying to see the helmet!

I'm digging it mate! I congratulate you on your patience with the foam. I lack that myself. How are you keeping it attached to your under suit?

As of now the pieces are held in place by pressure and/or friction which seems to work for the shoulder pieces, although I'm probably going to use some type of buckle or velcro type thing to keep the forearms and upper leg pieces in place. At the moment when ever I try to walk or move around too much the leg pieces simply fall down my legs like pants without a belt :D

Ah! It looks great so far! Only thing you might have to take note of though- it may just be that the breastplate (or at least the middle blue part) is sitting too high on your chest, compared to the game version anyway. Regardless of game accuracy I think what you have now looks fine but I could see your future helmet potentially butting against that blue part. If it doesn't become a problem I would totally leave it as is but should you need to troubleshoot, an easy fix would simply be to just cut that blue bit at a sharper downward angle. It would probably still appear the same size from afront but you'd have move maneuverability with your helmet. Sorry if I'm over thinking things. Again, what you have looks great, I look forward to seeing more!

(And sorry if you mention anything in your video, it's kinda late for me so I don't have time atm to watch it lol.)

I've finished the faceplate of the Scout Helmet and in testing it, I've found my self in a pretty tight situation. The Scout helmet's "chin" extends too far to work with the torso piece I've made making it impossible to look downwards without having to force either the torso piece or the helmet to do so.

DSC01764_zps25365b4e.jpg

DSC01763_zps76fa02f1.jpg

I'm interested in hearing what you guys have to say, in terms of solutions. I can't really make any changes to the torso piece either at this point so that's out of the question...

And so with that said I'm probably forced into going back to my original plan and using the Air Assault Helmet or trying another helmet design. Something I'm beginning to realise is that the helmets in the Halo series have very weird designs that although they look really cool, a lot of them have little in terms of actual tactical advantages, some even being terrible/worst by reducing the person's visibility of their environment...

Hopefully it's just a sizing issue, if it isn't then this may become a recurring issue with any other helmets I try making...

Hopefully it's just a sizing issue, if it isn't then this may become a recurring issue with any other helmets I try making...

I've decided to change my plans and go with the Air Assault helmet as I originally planed, and in doing the calculations for sizing, I've realised that either I have a really small head, or the person who made the original H4 AA pep has a really big head...

Just a note the file is Statyk's Halo 4 Air Assault, which can be found here: http://statyk94.deviantart.com/art/Halo-4-Air-Assault-Helmet-Pepakura-348514296

okaay.. since you said that you wouldn't want to alter the torso, I still have a suggestion. you should slightly lengthen the foam connecting the feont and back parts together. also in the front part, try adding more EVA and the back too. that way you can slightly stretch the foam and the armor will be held a little tightly to your body. im sorry if I sound weird or might have grammatical errors and perhaps give you a bad suggestion. Anyway I'll be keeping an eye on your build :)))

Well glad you decided on what you wish to do. hope to see pictures of the air assault soon

Helmet Update!!!

I've almost finished the Air Assault helmet, the helmet itself is about 90% done, then I'll move on to re-enforcement and padding. It's a little bigger than I hoped but wearing it with the rest of the armour and after a couple mods to the torso piece and I made it work.

Picture time!
DSC01776_zps3530f259.jpg

DSC01774_zps9de6872c.jpg

I learned a lot of lessons with this part of the build most importantly that hot glue makes a giant mess when the foam pieces spread away from each other and stretches the glue apart. And that spraying canned compressed air upside down releases the air in its liquid form and is great for "flash freezing" and rapidly cooling the glue into place.

DSC01778_zpsb5820b1e.jpg

DSC01779_zps3bd0698c.jpg

A couple mods I made to the torso piece is an extra colar extension, which is the green piece at the end (there's two on each side when before there used to be only one.)
The second mod being the inner chest plate, in which all I did was add and extra layer of foam to push the torso piece out further (used to be three now there's four, the layer with the separated pieces is the new layer.)
These mods brings up a couple problems in that now there are larger gaps between me and the actual armour, but I think those can be fixed later with miscellaneous padding around the edges.

DSC01781_zps0821201e.jpg

DSC01780_zps4f5699b4.jpg

Quick look at how the helmet looks with the upper body parts of the armour.

I used a pair of over ear headphones to hold up the helmet, since it doesn't have any padding yet it sags down and looks a bit weird.

DSC01784_zps30309598.jpg

DSC01785_zps947d64ae.jpg

Next is doing more mods to the torso to help fit it so it doesn't interact with the helmet too much and re-enforcing the helmet. At this point I'm working with scraps of foam so it'll be a while before I can make any progress with the shin guards or the thruster/power packs on the shoulder/back...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back