Frozenottsel's Spartan 4 Scout Build WIP - Foam (Very Picture Heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overall New look of the chest piece, as you can see the shoulders have been beefed up with the grey foam.

DSC02025_zpsf2314f86.jpg

Another look at the added foam to the armour

DSC02028_zps1c473dd1.jpg

The high detail section of the back has been hot glued down. The original blue of the foam used for the first shoulder plates is still visible but will likely be hidden later by the thruster packs.

DSC02030_zps5b77a2c2.jpg

And lastly in terms of changes to the chest piece are some corner plates to push the lower back part of the chest piece back, which in turn pushes the upper part of the front piece forwards and down.

DSC02029_zpsd2b9d0e4.jpg

Quick look at the shin pieces. Originally I wanted to do these by hand and eye, but it turned out to be far too complex, and some parts needed consistent repetition so I used some foam ready pep files to do them.

DSC02033_zps22237284.jpg

DSC02032_zps39173d84.jpg

As for the helmet, the holes at the top have been filed in and the neck pieces at the bottom have been added. I was lucky to find out that with the neck pieces added my head just barely fits through :D

DSC02035_zps1d3b2afc.jpg

DSC02036_zps45cc4819.jpg

Overall look of the helmet as it is now.

DSC02039_zps492187b3.jpg

A quick look at what it looks like looking out from inside the helmet:

DSC02037_zps6c590e47.jpg

Very nice, I keep thinking it - but the more I see foam the more appealing it becomes to me over my workshop full of body filler dust.

You sir have your foam skills honed well!

It's been quite a long while, but it's finally time for another update :D
Pictures should be up in a couple minutes.

Overall progress on the build is slow, but good.

+ The thruster packs have been finished and are now mounted onto the back chest piece.
+ A visor is now ready to install into the helmet, but I'm doing a temporary install so I can take it out for painting.

- I've come to realise that although the the Scout shoulder piece are well done, they are just too small compared to the in-game sizing, and they just aren't built all that accurately, so I am redoing them.
On the plus side of this, I now have much more experience with foam compared to when I did them the first time around and they seem to be turning out very well even in the early stages of their re-build. (Note: the Scout shoulders were the first pieces I had ever done with foam, and while I was satisfied with them before, I now have much more experience with foam and I am no longer satisfied with them).

As for the videos, i am currently working on a short one right now, and it should be up on my youtube channel tomorrow if not today. It's just a short video showing my personal technique for free handing foam builds.
A much more in depth video for the progress on the build, as well as more videos focusing closer on the armour pieces will come later but soon :D

Quick question:

I'm almost done with construction, and I'll be getting into painting soon.
And I know that Plasti-Dip is poisonous while spraying and while curing, but is it still poisonous after it's fully dried?

Progress on the Air Assault helmet has been good.

I picked up a motocycle visor and installed it into the inside of the helmet and it's turn out very well.

DSC02113_zpsa28d4e81.jpg

I have noticed however that with the visor installed their are spaces between the visor and the black "cheek covers". I think I'll leave them as they are for the propose of better ventilation.

As of right now it visor is held in place by it's own weight, and some foam I put it to keep it secure. I may add more foundation for it after I install a liner padding.

DSC02115_zps0227ea3e.jpg

Nothing much to say about the thruster packs, other than that they do a pretty good job at completing the look of the torso piece.

DSC02117_zps6643f029.jpg

DSC02118_zps125ba17d.jpg

Looking good so far. In future, try not to multiple post in a row. It spams up the activity stream. If you need to say something and you were the last poster, just hit "EDIT" and add it to your most recent post.

-S420

Here's a quick look at the old Scout Should pieces and the new ones I'm working on.

DSC02119_zps410cd70a.jpg

DSC02120_zpsdeb60d95.jpg

The new pieces are just under 20% larger, an intentional increase in size to make them larger, but not over sized like many others I've seen around the internet.

Yeah, the new ones would work better. BTW there are pepakura files on the scout now so I just need to wait for unfolded foam friendly versions to come out. I need templates, I can't just scratch build.

Update Time!!! :D

Progress had a couple hiccups along the way, but overall has been very good, here's what's changed so far:

+ Painting on both the two torso pieces, the helmet, and the two thigh pieces has begun. I'm doing them in what the game calls cobalt blue, but Rust-oleum calls Satin Wildflower Blue (Rust-oleum 2X)

+ Work on the new scout shoulder plates has also progressed well with the arm bands successfully mounted and stress tested (I even did a video on it).

+ The arm bands to the Scout shoulders have also been detailed and are ready to be painted.

- I did however screw up hardcore on sealing the helmet, which caused a very uneven surface. When I realised how bad it was, I decided not to seal the other pieces, to find out that they all turned out for the better without sealing.
I was able to somewhat salvage the the helmet to a presentable state though, well, lesson learned :D

Picture time!

As you might be able to see, the bicep and tricep plates for the armbands are actually cut and contoured differently.
DSC02156_zps25b419a7.jpg

DSC02158_zps073dec81.jpg

The parts below have finished drying, and are being left out to completely dry:

Helmet and right thigh plate:
DSC02155_zpsa97063fd.jpg

Close up on the back torso piece:
DSC02154_zps4245e6a3.jpg

Front torso piece and left thigh piece:
DSC02152_zps2010254c.jpg

Overall progress is very good and I expect that it should be finished before the end of the year.

Here's another video I did detailing the work I did with the Scout Shoulders, the "stress test" is near the end just at the 9 minute mark:

Thanks for viewing another one of my updates, as soon as I get a chance I'll assemble the pieces I have done and get a full picture of me wearing the armour at it's current development :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back