commencing my first build [Cyber Subzero Helmet]

Status
Not open for further replies.

gothylox

CN3QHTQJJC3WL6TUL6AGHVACRWX3JP5F.preview.png

Deadline for full build: may 15th 2014 (see you at motor city comic con hopefully!)
I NEED PEP FILES MADE! I am learning to make my own 3d models for unfolding, but progress is slow coupled with building, if you can contribute ANY pieces of cyber sub zero armor your work will be greatly appreciated and fully credited, see below for reference images

Greetings 405th! I haven't cleared a halo game since the original on PC, but I was referred to this site for my pepakura needs.
I am currently starting my first project, which is a Cyber Subzero helmet, which I plan to pep, fiberglass resin, paint, and install LEDs and a voice changer.

If you are a fan of Mortal Kombat (or want to get a better idea of what I'm building) check out this video, the video is from the web series MK Legacy which is also really sweet and you can watch it on youtube in HD for FREE!
the song is called Reptile theme which is from an MK inspired album by Skrillex - this song is amazing!

(note: Cyber Subzero does not appear in this video, but cyber Sektor, Hydro, and Cyrax do)

Here is a picture of Cyber Subzero, take note of the lights in the eyes, on the sides of the head, and on the ends of the antennae things. Another cool feature is the cords coming out of the back of the helmet that look like dreadlocks, which I have IRL so I love that they are on the helmet.
character_header_cyber_subzero.jpg

Here is a link to the PDO file I am using of the helmet, I have scaled it up to 255MM height (which the prototype proved to be too small ) I made it a little big for my head because I have a ton of hair and want to install LEDs and a voice changer
Cyber Subzero Helmet PDO via 4shared
cybersubhelm_zps52aa3bfa.png

I can't print a number of these pieces full size at home, so my idea is to take it to a print shop and have it printed on some thicker paper full size so I don't have to splice any pieces together. In the mean time, I am building some prototype pieces out of regular paper to get a feel for pepakura. (PS. thanks for all the amazing guides on pepakura, fiberglassing ETC this site has been HUGELY helpful already)

Since I am a noob to this, I am just trying to give people a general idea of what I am trying to do so they can point anything out that I may be doing wrong or can do better, if you see something please don't hesitate to bring up concerns because I would rather address it now.

Some concerns I have are with the scaling, I scaled it to 255MM height and it made the other proportions even, is that really all that is required to get it to the right size? I'm just a little skeptical about scaling because of some of the stuff I read in the scaling guides. reprinted to 318MM height

If this project goes well I hope to continue to building a full set of Cyber Subzero armor, but I will have to model it myself. The helmet model was found online, feel free to use it yourself, all credit goes to the original creator, its a fantastic piece, but it doesn't have the numbers you find on more popular models (this is another thing i was wondering about, can I manually make Pepakura Designer put numbers on the unfolded pieces somehow?) thanks to the Mack for clearing this up

thank you for reading, I will be posting updates periodically in this thread, I am going to the print shop tomorrow to check paper types ETC if anyone has any experience in that let me know any suggestions too.

voambs.jpg

fd6dqe.jpg

cyber_sub_zero_signature_by_kostasishere-d416kz3.gif

Table of Contents
Page 1 - introduction / preliminary phase
Page 1 - Prints made
Page 2 - prototype fail

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember one of the first games I played when I was little was Mortal Kombat so this interests me. I have never seen someone attempt to make Cyber Zero before, so I am pretty excited to see it done. 255 MM is pretty standard for helmet size, but everyone's head is different so that falls on you really. Good luck making your helmet! Can't wait to see it done.

Hey man thanks for the encouragement. Do you think I should go a little bigger than 255 if I want some extra room? my head is actually about 9-9.5 inches from my chin to the tip top in height but I also have a lot of hair. (and when I say a lot I mean 90 medium size dreadlocks)

Want to start off by saying good luck with your build!
It looks like a decent undertaking but looking forward to seeing it done cuz looks pretty sweet!

With that said hopefully i can help a little.

For your question about scaling- It depends on a few things such as who made the file and how it was entered in i.e. if the file of the helmet was created with the helmet facing downward the depth becomes the height and so on. but assuming you accounted for that (not sure how much knowledge of pepakura you have)
Was the 255 mm height you scaled it to the size of your head or the size the helmet should be by accounting for the hole for your head to slide into?

The link is for Cerealkill3r's video about scaling. its a great tutorial about scaling halo armor but will mostly apply to your situation.

And as for the "numbers" on your Pepakura Designer- click on "2d menu" and bring the menu down and make sure "Show Edge ID" is selected

Hope this helped!!!

Scaling your helmet can be tricky at times, pepakura measures height as the lowest part of your helmet to the highest part. Keep that in mind if you want to further scale your helmet.

Want to start off by saying good luck with your build!
It looks like a decent undertaking but looking forward to seeing it done cuz looks pretty sweet!

With that said hopefully i can help a little.

For your question about scaling- It depends on a few things such as who made the file and how it was entered in i.e. if the file of the helmet was created with the helmet facing downward the depth becomes the height and so on. but assuming you accounted for that (not sure how much knowledge of pepakura you have)
Was the 255 mm height you scaled it to the size of your head or the size the helmet should be by accounting for the hole for your head to slide into?

The link is for Cerealkill3r's video about scaling. its a great tutorial about scaling halo armor but will mostly apply to your situation.

And as for the "numbers" on your Pepakura Designer- click on "2d menu" and bring the menu down and make sure "Show Edge ID" is selected

Hope this helped!!!

Well, I know nothing about how the creator made that file, thats part of the reason I wanted to put it up here so anyone could look at it and give me any insight on it as I am new to this program and art entirely. The hole on the bottom is relatively large compared to the helmet, so if the helmet is the right size I think the hole will be big enough, but I just put in the height as 1-1.5 inches taller than my head is to scale it.
I actually looked in that exact menu to find those numbers but I may have been looking in the viewer instead of the designer. I did find it this time so thank you.

Glad you got the edge id's on. it can be done without them but i doubt you would want to do your first build without them especially on something like the helmet youve picked lol.

looking at the pepakura file (which is bad@ss by the way) you may have to scale it a bit bigger to accommodate the width of your head. scraping your ears to pieces every time you put it on and take it off will not be fun. best bet is to measure the width of you head and see if it seems like it will fit. youll have to estimate how much the ears of the helmet add to the overall width subtract that amount and see if the remaining space will allow you head to go in.

Glad you got the edge id's on. it can be done without them but i doubt you would want to do your first build without them especially on something like the helmet youve picked lol.

looking at the pepakura file (which is bad@ss by the way) you may have to scale it a bit bigger to accommodate the width of your head. scraping your ears to pieces every time you put it on and take it off will not be fun. best bet is to measure the width of you head and see if it seems like it will fit. youll have to estimate how much the ears of the helmet add to the overall width subtract that amount and see if the remaining space will allow you head to go in.

Yeah this model was a real diamond found among the rhinestones, I couldn't find anything else like it or any other cyber mortal kombat pieces at all. I have no experience rendering 3d models but my father who is a computer programmer introduced me to Blender which I am going to familiarize myself with as I build the helmet so I have the ability to design the rest of the set.

I will cross reference the different measurements tomorrow, I will get my step mom who is a tailor to take some real measurements and get my father to look at the file and see what we can come up with.

I have spent a while lurking here and researching Pepakura in other places before I found this site, but this site by far has been the most helpful, even the little dialogue I have had in this thread so far has been immensely helpful and has exposed me to even more information and resources. Thank you guys I will continue my careful planning, measure twice, cut once!

Well its good that they can give you a hand. It should make it a little easier for your build.

I'm pretty psyched to see this build. If you can, post some pics of your progress when you get it going. good luck!!!!

Got my prints made today, only 2 pieces have to be spliced together! it looks like the size will be about right, but we will see. printing the entire set only cost me 8 dollars.
Time to get down and dirty

2013-07-12133748_zps356482d3.jpg

I pepped the very bottom portion of the helmet and it seems like it will be too small. I am going to up the height from 255MM to 318MM and get the print job redone, re pep the bottom portion, and recheck the fit. the fit seems like it MAY fit onto my head, but thats not good enough, I need some extra room.

this time I calculated the actual size of the opening using ratios, and added some extra room to it, so hopefully the reprint will be the exact right size.

2013-07-12235851_zpsd19f3a10.jpg

Remember that you might be able to take off the back of the neck of the helmet to put it on your head.

Hey man thanks for the encouragement. Do you think I should go a little bigger than 255 if I want some extra room? my head is actually about 9-9.5 inches from my chin to the tip top in height but I also have a lot of hair. (and when I say a lot I mean 90 medium size dreadlocks)

you could always have a sort-of cone or holes coming out the back of the helm and pimp out your dreads ;) like old mate in the red in the pic u posted. or how corey taylor of slipknot used to have his hair pulled through his mask.

if your head is 9.5 inches, scale it to 10.5 or 11 that should give you enough room for your hair, padding, and the other add ons you want.

you could always have a sort-of cone or holes coming out the back of the helm and pimp out your dreads ;) like old mate in the red in the pic u posted. or how corey taylor of slipknot used to have his hair pulled through his mask.

Lol, well, I was thinking of taking the back portion where the cables come out of the back of the helmet off when my locks get much longer so I could pull them through there, but in the mean time I rescaled it to have plenty of extra room for the fiberglassing and my hair and such

the area in purple is where the cables are attached to the helmet, and is the area that I would take out in the future if i decide to do this. I'd probably try to make it removable so I can reattach it when its just sitting on the shelf looking pretty.

back_zps7e01d7f9.png

if your head is 9.5 inches, scale it to 10.5 or 11 that should give you enough room for your hair, padding, and the other add ons you want.

The height is set to 13 inches now, I had to re-scale it by the size of the opening since there is so much overhang on the front and sides it makes this model particularly hard to scale, I had to find a happy medium between a large opening size without making the helmet itself too large

Reprints will be done on Monday, expect a good pep update by next weekend, and again thanks for the encouragement everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back