Halo Reach Custom Spartan w/ FOAM - First Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apothacary

Hey all,

I finished school a couple days ago, and am now ready to start my build. I have decided to go with the Recon helmet and MK.V shoulders, as well as some pieces from Kat's armour (either for aesthetic reasons, or because the lighter, slim look I am going for. I want my spartan looking like the small, quick, recce type. (which works with my 5'5'' height)
Some of you may remember my old post I started:
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/39947-Recon-Halo-Reach-Build-(with-Foam-)
I am not going to continue on that thread, because I now know what am I am going to do, and with what material. I also don't want to revive an old thread, I'd like to start fresh. (If the mods want to delete/lock it, go ahead :))

So I have decided to attempt to do this whole build from foam, and after much research feel I am ready to tackle this. Now I know a lot of you want to see pictures, so though it's not foam armour, here's what I've accomplished so far.

IMG_0782.jpg

IMG_0783.jpg

IMG_0784.jpg

With removable mags, V2 and V1

IMG_0785.jpg

It also has a moving slide that springs back into place thanks to an elastic.

IMG_0787.jpg

IMG_0788.jpg

And here is my template / sketch

IMG_0786.jpg

G'night, and feedback is more than welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_0782.jpg
    IMG_0782.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_0783.jpg
    IMG_0783.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_0784.jpg
    IMG_0784.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_0785.jpg
    IMG_0785.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_0786.jpg
    IMG_0786.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_0788.jpg
    IMG_0788.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_0787.jpg
    IMG_0787.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 295
The magnum looks a bit short? Is it just me? But can't wait to see more from this thread man!!! If you need any help just shoot me a pm and I can point you in the right direction :D

Very nice! Can't wait to see more!

Thanks, will be working on it intensively.

The magnum looks a bit short? Is it just me? But can't wait to see more from this thread man!!! If you need any help just shoot me a pm and I can point you in the right direction :D

It is a bit short, but I personally like the small, bulky look :p . I'm probably going to re-do it at eventually, add more details and such. And thanks, I'm sure I'll need a hand at some point.

Haven't thought of working on any weapons yet, but this inspires me!
Keep it up!

Weapons are sooo much fun. And thanks, glad to be an inspiration.

UPDATE TIME

Here are some pics of what I've been grinding away at for the past few days. Took me a little longer to do, but I guess it's from the lack of experience with foam, and the fact that I had to make my own templates for some pieces, because the foam unfold files had some pieces that didn't seem to work for me.

Anyways, quite pleased with the result, and I'm thinking of doing what LilTyrant did and covering the thing with craft foam do add the details and clean up the joints. (I've got a few "pre-battle-battle-damaged areas :$)

It seems scaled well too, will post pics of that later when I've got a third hand :p

IMG_0789.jpg

IMG_0790.jpg

IMG_0791.jpg

IMG_0795.jpg

IMG_0789.jpg

IMG_0790.jpg

IMG_0791.jpg

IMG_0795.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if you had seen this...

SlicedFile.jpg

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/30963-New-Halo-Reach-Pistol-Pep-File-(Now-with-Sliced-Win!)

If you're 100% happy with the one you've got, great. But there's this option as well.

Decent job so far. Keep it up!

That's awesome, definitely will use it for the next one I build, thanks a lot!

Also, a quick update :

I spent all day today fixing up my chest piece by doing the same craft foam layer technique in LilTyrant's build. I have to say, it's quite difficult at some times, and I don't know how she got it so clean, I've fixed most of the problem areas, but a few joints have become... unsightly. Maybe it's me being a perfectionist, but is there any kind of filler one can use for these small crack-like gaps?. Anyways, should be done tomorrow, and that means pics as well. Oh, and I made the hand plates too. Yay. :D

On a side note, I feel like I am working slower than most, if this is the case, any tips would be helpful. I don't want to rush it, but like being efficient. (Just to give a sense of time, I work about 5~7 hours a day on this.

Attachments

• SlicedFile.jpg
    SlicedFile.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 277
I like the look of that magnum, it looks really great considering you didn't use the foam files! I'm thinking if going that route when I make my ODST pistol (the eyeballing route), and the elastic was a really good idea for the slide. Also, that torso is looking good, keep the pics coming! Subbed :)

I've got a few "pre-battle-battle-damaged areas :$

Hahaha! It's all part of it's charm! It does have a clean look, though. If you find you have some kinks you want to work out later, I'm sure you'll make it happen, but I think it looks great. I'm looking forward to seeing more! :cool

I like the look of that magnum, it looks really great considering you didn't use the foam files! I'm thinking if going that route when I make my ODST pistol (the eyeballing route), and the elastic was a really good idea for the slide. Also, that torso is looking good, keep the pics coming! Subbed :)

Thanks, glad to have given something back to the community!

Hahaha! It's all part of it's charm! It does have a clean look, though. If you find you have some kinks you want to work out later, I'm sure you'll make it happen, but I think it looks great. I'm looking forward to seeing more! :cool

Thank you, these positive comments keep me going!

UPDATE TIME

Finally finished the torso, got the foamies work done, as well as the collar. Only thing left is the armpit area seals, which I'm leaving out until I physically have my under suit ready. Still ddn't manage to get shots of me wearing it, had to work while my mom was home from work -.-

Anyways, here's what everyone wants to see, PICTURES!

IMG_0796.jpg

IMG_0797.jpg

IMG_0798.jpg

IMG_0799.jpg

And here is a close up of the insignia detail on the collar. Figured, I might as well have it, even if it's supposed to have the molded-in look. Also mounted some buckles to make armour mounting easier. YAY! :D

IMG_0802.jpg

IMG_0806.jpg

Oh and here are the handplates I made.

IMG_0807.jpg

EDIT: On a side note, does anybody else have nights, early into their first builds, where they are trying to fall asleep, and are subconsciously thinking about the project? Yeah, happened to me last night, and the night before. -.-

IMG_0796.jpg

IMG_0797.jpg

IMG_0798.jpg

IMG_0799.jpg

IMG_0802.jpg

IMG_0806.jpg

IMG_0807.jpg

I've been looking into a lot of foam builds since I decided that that's what I want to do. This build looks awesome. I can't wait to see more as you go.

I've been looking into a lot of foam builds since I decided that that's what I want to do. This build looks awesome. I can't wait to see more as you go.

Do it! I love working with foam so much more! It takes a bit of practice and getting used to, but once you've got a good understanding (and a sharp knife) it's quite a bit of fun.

UPDATE TIME!

Pumped out a couple of forearms, and I have to say RoxyRoo's build offered both inspiration and a lot of help with these pieces, since I decided to do these freehand. The progress pics gave a great deal of info. (Pictures really are worth a thousand words) Anyways, its PICTURE TIMEEE! :D

The finished forearms :

IMG_0811.jpg

IMG_0809.jpg

IMG_0808-1.jpg

And as promised, some pictures for scale. (YAY!)

IMG_0816.jpg

IMG_0817.jpg

IMG_0819.jpg

IMG_0811.jpg

IMG_0809.jpg

IMG_0808-1.jpg

IMG_0816.jpg

IMG_0817.jpg

IMG_0819.jpg

Alright guys, its late, so I'm going to jump right into it.

So I haven't updated in a while, because I've been busy grinding this build out for Montreal comic-con, which is in one week. Was busy over the weekend and Monday, and it really set me back. I would really appreciate any help at this point, and as such have a few questions. I know the answers are here, but I'd like to put as much time as possible into building and hopefully getting this done in time.

Questions:

1. Do you have to do anything to the foam before you plasti dip? My little research into this says yes and no. If there is a process, please let me know what it is.
2. What brand/type of paint do you recommend for spray painting? Was going to get some outdoor-sy stuff from home hardware, but figured I might as well make sure before I drop a lump of cash on paint.
3. Do you guys think it is at all possible to have this done in time for the con? (Done as in armour pieces painted to an acceptable standard, I have a morphsuit as an undersuit in worst case scenario) As I mentioned, it's next Friday, so I have 7.5 days to work on it. I don't have anything scheduled in this time (except possibly one day), leaving me to literally live and breath this project for the next week. I want honest opinions, and if possible, reasons why this is not do-able/tips to make it do-able.

I know the Vets who see this will cringe at somebody trying to speed run this, but I will put proper time and detail, as well as only my best efforts, into this after the con. I promise.
Thanks in advance guys, and now on to what you're all truly here for :

UPDATE TIME!

Got the cod and biceps finished, as well the ab-plate and spine details on the torso. I've also managed to pump out two thighs, which are only missing ribbing detail.

My free hand attempt at the cod piece.

IMG_0826.jpg

IMG_0827.jpg

Now I know the biceps aren't the same, the one on the right was my second attempt, which turned out much better. Will probably re-do the left one at some point.

IMG_0821.jpg

IMG_0822.jpg

IMG_0823.jpg

IMG_0834.jpg

IMG_0837.jpg

IMG_0833.jpg

Here are the partially finished thighs

IMG_0824.jpg

IMG_0825.jpg

Anddd finally a picture of everything I have done so far.

IMG_0838.jpg

Thanks guys, hope to update again soon.

IMG_0826.jpg

IMG_0827.jpg

IMG_0821.jpg

IMG_0822.jpg

IMG_0823.jpg

IMG_0834.jpg

IMG_0837.jpg

IMG_0833.jpg

IMG_0824.jpg

IMG_0825.jpg

IMG_0838.jpg

IMG_0824.jpg

EDIT: On a side note, does anybody else have nights, early into their first builds, where they are trying to fall asleep, and are subconsciously thinking about the project? Yeah, happened to me last night, and the night before. -.-[/QUOTE]

of every project ive ever worked on, for myself, for others, for very little pay.....yes...i tend to dream about it until its done. usually i wake up screaming realizing i could have done something different. or if im stuck on something i work it out dreaming. and ive been known to talk to myself in mysleep about said projects. and im known for wandering the isles of home depot aimlessly looking for "it". my friends havestopped questioning how i do things, they just reap the benefits when its over.

This build is going along nicely, there is no need to rush if you want it to be the closest to perfect you can get it, look around at other foam builds for ideas to make it better or more efficient. Good luck.

EDIT: On a side note, does anybody else have nights, early into their first builds, where they are trying to fall asleep, and are subconsciously thinking about the project? Yeah, happened to me last night, and the night before. -.-

I don't think that doesn't happen to any of us, I was just up til 6 in the morning working on my N7 helmet, always seems like the right time for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back