How can we make the 405th great?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
As mentioned elsewhere, we are very excited to be managing this community! We think it has a tremendous amount of potential and want to see it grow and flourish, but we need YOUR help to do that! This thread is for posting your thoughts and ideas about 1) existing changes as they are made and 2) changes you would like to see made.

Please bear in mind that there is only a handful of us and 10s of thousands of you, so we may not respond to every post or comment on every idea but we WILL read and consider every idea, comment and even criticism. Some things we should be able to implement quickly and easily while others may take time or not be feasible at all. Be patient with us as we already have a tremendous backlog of things that need to be done, but one-by-one, we will get to them.

Ok, so I see the "reply" button is back, as well as the "Quick reply" text box at the bottom of the screen (wasn't there when I posted earlier). I'm assuming the random question is a new anti-bot measure meant to be imposed on new members to make sure it's actually a person posting?

Upvote 0
That is correct. I accidentally had it turned on for full members as well. It is off now.

Just need to get those two pesky buttons moved.

BTW, we have now added a FOURTH layer of spam protection for the site. Still will have a few trickle through, but hopefully it will be less and less and less.

Upvote 0
Art you have made the wed site amazing in only a few days! Keep it coming! But there is one thing I am hoping you can bring back, could you bring back the what's new section that's my only request. Please keep making the site amazing!
Thank you,
-Dylan

Upvote 0
The page number buttons/links still seem to be blocking the reply, reply with quote, and multi-quote buttons on the final post of the page. Orientation coding error perhaps?

Upvote 0
Art,
I must concur with the others who praise your efforts. This is looking very sharp and performing quite well. Very pleased to see the changes as they occur. Keep up the good work!

Upvote 0
The thread page numbers are all messed up in Safari on Mac. Also, the background is now much too bright for my old eyes. Tried changing the setting from "New 405th Style" to "Use Forum Default" but it won't stick. It might be good if you let members choose their own background color.

Upvote 0
Art you have made the wed site amazing in only a few days! Keep it coming! But there is one thing I am hoping you can bring back, could you bring back the what's new section that's my only request. Please keep making the site amazing!
Thank you,
-Dylan

Dylan,

Unless I am confusing it for something else, the "What's New" section is now called the 405th Feed and a link is right under the HOME button in the Nav bar.

Upvote 0
Quick Reply was not visible, but now it is.

Page Numbers and Quick Navigation no longer cover up Edit, Reply, Reply with Quote, or any other buttons pertaining to the last post in a thread.
Perhaps this was fixed by adding Quick Reply back?

I was being asked questions for a long while yesterday and I no longer am (yay!)

Also, maybe the biggest "YAY" of all, is the little line I can see now right above people's signatures.
I cannot tell you how many times I would read through someone's signature with the old layout thinking that it was part of their post.

I'm a little curious about the Regiments myself.
I thought we were going to hold off focus on them for a while.

But if not, I would love one that includes Oklahoma in it. The Southwest states section needs some more love (Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas)

Why not just set up U.S. Regiments in the following matter?:
new50intro_07.gif

Attachments

• new50intro_07.gif
    new50intro_07.gif
    19.2 KB · Views: 271
Upvote 0
I was guessing we'll see Regiments for all the regions once the regiment system is ready to be rolled out.

Upvote 0
Glad to see the Midwest regiment up and going. I was wondering thought, Art, is there some sort of mapping system we could implement to keep track of who all is where and help everyone connect? So far I know each regiment forum has a member list but they're far from complete.

Also, WandererTJ, it looks like Oklahoma is now in the Midwest regiment. :)

Upvote 0
Quick Reply was not visible, but now it is.

Page Numbers and Quick Navigation no longer cover up Edit, Reply, Reply with Quote, or any other buttons pertaining to the last post in a thread.
Perhaps this was fixed by adding Quick Reply back?

I was being asked questions for a long while yesterday and I no longer am (yay!)

Also, maybe the biggest "YAY" of all, is the little line I can see now right above people's signatures.
I cannot tell you how many times I would read through someone's signature with the old layout thinking that it was part of their post.

I'm a little curious about the Regiments myself.
I thought we were going to hold off focus on them for a while.

But if not, I would love one that includes Oklahoma in it. The Southwest states section needs some more love (Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas)

Why not just set up U.S. Regiments in the following matter?:
new50intro_07.gif

I actually like this, though one change I would make, is rename Heartland as Midwest, and rename Midwest as Great Lakes.

And just to add on, perhaps since Spartans, and most of the UNSC is basically Navy, perhaps using naval terms would be more appropriate?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_organization#Navies

I personally like the idea of being more organized. It's actually one of the things I like about the 501st(I'm not now, nor have ever been a member) is how they organize things. I think if we can maintain our focus more on community, and not being uptight and having armor standards for membership and all that nonsense, being more organized could be a really good thing. For instance, it would make getting people together for a con meet-up easier, or if there's a fund-raiser, or say an organization wants to get a bunch of us for an event, like for charity, it would make it easier for them to find who would be local or near the event.

I'm really liking what I'm seeing so far.

Attachments

• new50intro_07.gif
    new50intro_07.gif
    19.2 KB · Views: 250
Upvote 0
Glad to see the Midwest regiment up and going. I was wondering thought, Art, is there some sort of mapping system we could implement to keep track of who all is where and help everyone connect? So far I know each regiment forum has a member list but they're far from complete.)

We actually have something like that, but it uses Google Maps, and is a bit awkward to use. Plus, it lists the users as results, which means when there is a page 1 and a page 2 to the list, it is impossible to see everyone on the map all at once.

Here it is: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php...bers-(With-New-Map-Link)?highlight=google+map

I would definitely prefer something that we could have embedded in the website or embedded onto a particular page.

Also, while I'm glad that Oklahoma got included into the "Midwest", I'm honestly not sure how all these states are in the "Midwest".
Covering Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, and Wisconsin
Where is Kansas? lol.
I'm glad that the Midwest group has been added, but it might be better to move Oklahoma elsewhere... like the "Southwest".

I kinda screwed up when I posted in the Midwest forum honestly. I didn't know my geographical regions....

And I agree with ColFork85's assessment of the image I grabbed off google (and perhaps there was a better one I could have used) in that some of the names don't really fit.

Upvote 0
Speaking from outside the US - wouldn't America be better split into four groups - those being Eastern, Northern, Southern and Western Regiments? That being said, the distribution of states within the US seems more weighted towards the East, although I do realise that we have quite a dense concentration of Troopers and Spartans in coastal regions as opposed to Central US.

Upvote 0
Can we have a Southeast Regiment? Florida, GA, NC, SC, etc.

We are working on all of this but it will take time. We don't want to add in anything new just yet. We have added the Pacific Regiment and the Midwest Regiment because although they aren't official 405th Regiments, they DO already exist and we hope they will become our first official Regiments. Please be patient with us on this as the creation of a club takes a LOT of work and we want to make sure we do it right.

Upvote 0
Speaking from outside the US - wouldn't America be better split into four groups - those being Eastern, Northern, Southern and Western Regiments? That being said, the distribution of states within the US seems more weighted towards the East, although I do realise that we have quite a dense concentration of Troopers and Spartans in coastal regions as opposed to Central US.

I won't make too many definitive statements this early on, but can tell you that the divisions won't be made so much by us, but by you, the members, as you congregate and form Regiments.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back